Houdini 5.5 in Irix - part 1 - Houdini Basics Tutorial.
Houdini 5.5 in Irix - part 1 - Houdini Basics Tutorial.
Houdini 5.5 in Irix - part 1 - Houdini Basics.

https://youtu.be/d1UenxlGmSY

Nav ---------

Mouse in 3D View - Left/Mid/Right click - rotate/dolly/pan -move 3D view when not in selection mode. 

ctrl + right click - menu showing hot keys

Mouse in node window - middle/right click - zoom/move view.

Tab - node list creation

IF NO ITEM SELECTED THEN. --

S starts selection tool. You may select items

ONCE ITEM SELECTED 

Right Click to get GIMBLE

T - Move gimble
R - Rotate gimble
E - Scale gimble

Once in Gimble mode MUST use SPACEBAR + Mouse clicks to move view.

HIT S to select different item to get out of gimble mode

Hit ESC to go back to non selection mouse only move view mode again.

W - on/off wireframe display.

SPACEBAR + T to switch node view into list view. 
SPACEBAR + T to switch single perspective to quad views.
--------------------------

Nodes

If Item is selected in NODE VIEW you can press ENTER to jump inside node going from Transform top level to inside NODE SOP (Surface Operator) mode. This is equivalent to going into the shape node in Maya to change geometry vs just changing transform in world space. 

Apologies in advance for the monitor moire pattern. It is the only monitor I have that the Octane runs with. I do adjust the brightness after a few moments to make it is easier to see but the pattern is there. Hopefully you can still enjoy the information with the pattern being there. I couldn't see it until after I recorded it all and opened the files. Also cut off the bottom so you can't see the menus. I'll try to rectify this on the next Octane video by setting the camera in a better spot to remove the pattern more like during the particle portion near the end of the video.

If you go full screen it seems to distract less.

Octane 2x400O2 300O2 400Origin 200 2x250
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 03:56 AM by Intuition.)
Intuition
Octane

Threads: 21
Find Reply
02-12-2019, 03:44 AM
Thumbs Up  RE: Houdini 5.5 in Irix - part 1 - Houdini Basics Tutorial.
Thank you very much for this tutorial! This seems to be the only tutorial for a version earlier then 16 on youtube ...
I don't know when I will try it out, because I'm very busy with Maya and Media Illusion for some time now. But soon your video will be a huge help.
55cancri
O2

Threads: 7
Find Reply
02-12-2019, 07:25 PM
RE: Houdini 5.5 in Irix - part 1 - Houdini Basics Tutorial.
To be honest I had never even seen Houdini on Irix before I figured out how to get it running two years ago. It was just this big mystery on how it would even look on Irix. I was surprised how much of the core application was still in place back in this 5.5 Release. Ultimately I'd love to get 6.5 running because they added more lights like Area Lights.

I was bummed out about the video having that weird moire pattern but am glad someone could appreciate it. Smile

I want to do more tutorials for all the apps. One more for Houdini. Power Animator and Lightwave coming soon.

Maybe return to Softimage and Maya for real modeling, Character rigging, some UV and Shading tricks, and finally some proper lookdev. We'll see how far we can go with this old software to get it closer to the modern stuff I use at work everyday.

Octane 2x400O2 300O2 400Origin 200 2x250
Intuition
Octane

Threads: 21
Find Reply
02-12-2019, 07:54 PM
RE: Houdini 5.5 in Irix - part 1 - Houdini Basics Tutorial.
excellent work! Thanks for putting the time and effort into make your old irix software tutorials and I'm really looking forward for more!!!
gijoe77
Tezro

Threads: 32
Find Reply
02-21-2019, 03:41 PM