Installing the SGI INDY - Ultra64 Development Board + N64 SDK software!!
RE: Installing the SGI INDY - Ultra64 Development Board + N64 SDK software!!
You can also do both steps in one by typing:

gunzip -dc [filename] | tar xf -

That will save you having to unzip the tar, then extract the tar in separate steps.

Indigo2 IMPACT R10000 195MHz, 384MB RAM, MaxIMPACT (1MB), 36GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Fuel R14000 600MHz, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
O2 in storage...
Trippynet
Indigo2 IMPACT

Threads: 5
Find Reply
03-17-2019, 12:36 PM
N64 Dev Kit. Oh my.

I think I'm a bit moist.

Watching with interest.
Stinaris
Indigo2 / Indy

Threads: 1
Find Reply
03-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Ok,

So I'm making some progress.
I managed to get both the N64 SDK and the N64 Soundtools tar files decompressed.

These are however just library and demo source code files. So there is nothing to install using the software manager.
I just need to move the extracted folders and files to the root/usr/ directory.

So now I have some questions in regards to the C compiler the Indy uses....
I noticed that there is a folder called "IDO72" that was part of the N64 OS installation files.
It has 2 files in this folder....one called "makerom" and the second called "PRdefs". There was also a README file.

It says to copy the files to the /usr/sbin  and /usr/include/make folders.

As shown in the images below:

[Image: INDY_N64_Software_7.JPG]

[Image: INDY_N64_Software_8.JPG]

I was reading online that "IDO" stands for (IRIS Development Option) and this software contains a C compiler.
So now I'm assuming that this "IDO" comes with the IRIS 6.5 OS installation?  

A link I was reading about "IDO"  https://mirrors.bufferoverflow.xyz/freew...m/ido.html

So now is this IDO something I need to install for the "makerom" command to work with the N64 "C" source code files?
As I know there are special conditions needed for when compiling for the N64 hardware. The Windows PC Dev environment for N64 uses a Custom exeGCC compiler that is used when compiling N64 ROMS.

So I'm thinking these files in the IDO72 folder are for customizing the Indy's IDO compiler (If that is what is uses to compile) for the N64 Dev board. 
Does this make sense? or am I completely crazy?   Huh

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Cheers!
-Gerry
Gerry_MAN
N64 Hardware Fanatic

Threads: 3
Website Find Reply
03-17-2019, 07:42 PM
On another note...

I have been reading up and referencing a PDF copy of the "N64 Programming Manual" which is actually meant for INDY users who have the N64 GPIO Addon Board.

[Image: N64_PROG_MAN_1.jpg]

A PDF Draft version of this manual is available on the Ultra64.ca resource website: 
Nintendo_64_Programming_Manual_NU6-06-0030-001G_HQ

It mentions the following for the Software Installation:

Quote:Software Installation
The Nintendo 64 development software image is not the only software required for development.
Your Indy workstation must also contain the following 5.3 products:

• dev
• c_dev
• compiler_dev
• gl_dev
• CaseVision, version 2.4
• WorkShop, version 2.4

Three products are bundled with the Nintendo 64 development software:
• GameShop
• ultra
• dmedia_eoe (version 5.5)
Note: Casevision and Workshop need to be installed before Gameshop.

Workshop needs to be version 2.4 or earlier.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gameshop was one of the Programs I was about to install.... but as it states...I need to first make sure I install CaseVision and Workshop V2.4
However the manual states that these are IRIX 5.3 products.

I'm currently running Irix V6.5...so I'm wondering if I still need to acquire a copy of this "CaseVision/Workshop" CD and install it,
in order to move forward and install the GameShop software pack?

The GameShop is apparently a compiler and some other Debugging tools.

Do any of you know how I would go about acquiring and installing CaseVision/Workshop?

Anyhow,
I would appreciate some feedback on my last two posts.....if any of you can help.

Let me know.
Cheers!
-Gerry
Gerry_MAN
N64 Hardware Fanatic

Website Find Reply
03-20-2019, 02:00 AM
I love the N64 so dearly with all my heart, it's the reason I got into SGI in the first place too LOL.

I think you needa watch out for thermals on the dev board tho, it took the N64 three heat syncs to disappate that thing's
heat on a production unit, let alone next to all the Indy's internals. I suggest you should talk to a mate with some CNC gear if you have one 
(if not, well, it's the SGI community; there's probably a dozen freaky nerds with a couple dozen CNC machines already) and ask if they can rig up 
some stainless steel or copper heat syncs for it. 

I've had an idea to water cool it using custom blocks and PC water cooling parts, but I don't have an Indy or the money to try that with, so your mileage may vary :)

I wish I had any SGIs to show Sad 

PM me if you have cheap Octanes or Indigo2s, I might be able to work out a deal with you,
But I'm broke so don't hold your breath LOL
fakkoitto
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
03-20-2019, 05:38 AM
Here is some added info about the SGI "CaseVision" and "WorkShop" software programs...which I think I will need to install.   

http://www.employees.org/~drich/SGI/Sili...pt_05.html

I guess I'll have to hunt a copy of this down..... if it doesn't come as part of the IRIX 6.5 OS installation.   Sad

Any thoughts on this?

-Gerry
Gerry_MAN
N64 Hardware Fanatic

Website Find Reply
03-20-2019, 11:58 PM
(03-20-2019, 11:58 PM)Gerry_MAN Wrote:  Here is some added info about the SGI "CaseVision" and "WorkShop" software programs...which I think I will need to install.   

http://www.employees.org/~drich/SGI/Sili...pt_05.html

I guess I'll have to hunt a copy of this down..... if it doesn't come as part of the IRIX 6.5 OS installation.   Sad

Any thoughts on this?

-Gerry

If I had an Indy with N64 dev board I'd start out with IRIX 5.3. That's what the Nintendo SDK was meant to work with. The IRIX development tools are fairly integrated with the OS, so you can't use the IRIX 5.3 IDO with IRIX 6.5. Yet the Nintendo SDK comes with tools like GameShop which is essentially a specialized version of the 5.3 WorkShop.

Once you've got 5.3 running, with the 5.3 IDO and the Nintendo software (and have a solid backup) you can always try a newer IRIX. But really, an N64 dev station will be used to do N64 stuff, not generic IRIX centered stuff, right? You probably also don't install the Windows-hosted N64 dev kit on a 64bit Windows 10 system either.

Oh, IRIX 5.3 and related development software are all "out there".

I'd love to have an N64 development Indy.
jan-jaap
SGI Collector

Threads: 11
Website Find Reply
03-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Hi All,

So I managed to track down the "out there" files I needed.  Big Grin Big Grin

What is also really cool...is I started to setup a Oracle VirtualBox session on my Windows Laptop.
This VM will boot a drive image of "DINA". This is so I can transfer files from my Windows Laptop over the Network to the SGI INDY.
The DINA load apparently handles the transfer between the two different file systems. (SGI and Windows PC)

Apparently the DINA VM generates a DHCP server and acts as a network Bridge between the PC and the Indy if they are on the same network.
I have the INDY and the Laptop connected together using a network HUB. This will be quite handy for transferring files....if I can get the connection established.

So far I have the VM configured and is Booting successfully.

[Image: DINA_VBOX_001.jpg]

[Image: DINA_VBOX_002.jpg]

Next, I'm moving onto setting up the INDY's Network IP environment variables... to try and make a connection and transfer the Workshop software so I can finally load GasmeShop and the Rest of the N64 software.
Fingers crossed!   Tongue  Big Grin 

Cheers!
-Gerry
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2019, 05:25 PM by Gerry_MAN.)
Gerry_MAN
N64 Hardware Fanatic

Website Find Reply
03-29-2019, 05:24 PM
Hi All,

My DINA VM setup and installation process was getting extensive and I fellt it deserved it's own discussion Thread.
I have moved all the details for your review at the link below:

https://forums.irix.cc/thread-1149.html

I'll be continuing with the Ultra64 Development board installation once I have all the software installed.
I've managed to get Workshop and GameShop installed and am moving onto getting the rest of the N64 Development OS and Dev kit software installed.

After this, I'll be installing the N64 GPIO board..and I'll make sure to post some feedback here of that process for the archives.

Cheers! Folks,

-Gerry
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2019, 08:35 PM by Gerry_MAN.)
Gerry_MAN
N64 Hardware Fanatic

Website Find Reply
04-11-2019, 04:36 PM