SGI Emulation - Why it's actually worthwhile
SGI Emulation - Why it's actually worthwhile
Contrary to the way my previous statements have been interpreted I've had discussions with MooglyGuy, one of the main MAME-SGI devs and I've come to see his point. Not only do we have the same goals of preservation in mind but he also underlines the importance that emulation is complementary, not a replacement, for the real thing. 

So while this emulation forum has not had any posts I do encourage people to discuss it. I realize my previous statements on emulation could be interpreted as devaluing or demotivating.

That hasn't been my intent. My concerns about emulation supremacists/trolling are entirely separate and can be dealt with as it comes.

The magma of our souls burns with a mighty flame! Gurren Lagann! Just who in the hell do you think we are!?

Proud member of Team Gurren, the founder, operator, and developer behind IRIX Network. 

I'm carrying on Pete's legacy, and while I'm not perfect, I'm the only man for the job. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself.

[Image: daigurrensig.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2019, 07:28 PM by Raion.)
Raion
Operator

Threads: 82
Website Find Reply
02-04-2019, 08:53 PM
RE: SGI Emulation - Why it's actually worthwhile
Similarly, I hope I didn't come across as an "emulation supremacist" last time we talked about this. For me, hardware is preferable in almost all cases, the only reason I sometimes prefer emulators is: space, cost, and availability.

Digital Personal Workstation
Hewlett-Packard Visualize C3700 (HP-UX 11.11)
IBM RS/6000 7011-250 (AIX 4.3.3) | IBM RS/6000 7044-170 (AIX 5.3)
Silicon Graphics Indy R4600
Sun SPARCclassic (SunOS 4.1.4) | Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris 2.6) | Axil 311
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2019, 04:20 PM by thunderbird32.)
thunderbird32
Octane

Threads: 3
Find Reply
02-08-2019, 04:19 PM
RE: SGI Emulation - Why it's actually worthwhile
Nope, not at all.

The magma of our souls burns with a mighty flame! Gurren Lagann! Just who in the hell do you think we are!?

Proud member of Team Gurren, the founder, operator, and developer behind IRIX Network. 

I'm carrying on Pete's legacy, and while I'm not perfect, I'm the only man for the job. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself.

[Image: daigurrensig.png]
Raion
Operator

Threads: 82
Website Find Reply
02-08-2019, 07:56 PM