error installation IRIX on TEZRO
RE: error installation IRIX on TEZRO
Dumb question but have you disconnected all other drives before installing?

I have used Irinikus method successfully on Tezro, but you do have to install the Cds in the order specified.
Also used Foundation I and II discs from 6.5.5,  everything else was 6.5.30 with latest updates available here on ftp.

The only error was the usual Javascript one post-install

[Image: mnTvJeq.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019, 08:25 AM by BackPlaner.)
BackPlaner
Jurassic Technologist

Threads: 25
Find Reply
01-19-2019, 08:24 AM
Hello,
I managed to install IRIX and I have the interface that is present.
I had to read all the CDs and start "install all".
I stopped 84 conflicts and it worked.
jmjsgi
O2

Threads: 4
Find Reply
01-19-2019, 07:56 PM
so you finally got it working properly? I was going to say copy all the contents of all the CD's into one "dir" and do a "swmgr -f dir" if not
gijoe77
Tezro

Threads: 33
Find Reply
01-21-2019, 05:41 AM
Hello gijoe77,
I am not satisfied with the installation I made. I will have to format the whole disk for a clean reinstallation with the indications of irinikus.
what is the command to erase the disc and it does not last too long?
jmjsgi
O2

Find Reply
01-21-2019, 10:50 PM
(01-21-2019, 10:50 PM)jmjsgi Wrote:  Hello gijoe77,
I am not satisfied with the installation I made. I will have to format the whole disk for a clean reinstallation with the indications of irinikus.
what is the command to erase the disc and it does not last too long?

Because you already have a file system on the disk, you can use the "mkfs option" in inst, this option is one of the options in the "admin menu" (so start inst, and hit 13 to get the admin menu and then hit 11 to start the mkfs option.)

This option is quick and painless.

[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2019, 03:15 AM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Threads: 155
Website Find Reply
01-22-2019, 03:13 AM
hello Irinikus,
I have try the menu admin 13 in fx and select the menu 11 and use the mkfs option.
The menu 13 and 11 not erase data. It keeps the history of the installations on the hard disk.
I wanted to try the installation method you gave and I encountered some errors

After i used the full description :

- Installation tools / Overlay 1 (CDROM/dist/) select feature stream
- Overlay 2 (CDROM/dist/) + (CDROM/dist/unbundled/)
- Overlay 3 (CDROM/dist/)
- 6.5 Foundation 1 (CDROM/dist/)
- 6.5 Foundation 2 (CDROM/dist/)
- Development Foundation (CDROM/dist/dist6.5/)
- Development Libraries (CDROM/dist/)
- NFS3 may99 (CDROM/dist/dist6.5))
- Applications (CDROM/dist/)

These are the commands youll have to issue once all of the disks are read:

- keep *
- install standard
- keep java2_plugin.sw32.mozilla_freeware
- keep inventor_dev.sw.base
- keep inventor_dev.sw.lib
- install eoe.sw.fonttools
- install eoe.sw.uucp
- install eoe.sw.xlv
- install eoe.sw.spell
- install ftn_eoe
- install inventor_eoe.sw64
- install ifl_eoe.sw64
- install dmedia_eoe.sw64
- install prereqs (not run, generate error)
- keep incompleteoverlays
- rem java_dev* (not run because the write is rem java_dev *)
- go

After rebooting, I went from the normal interface with the icon, to the interface without icon.
During the installation process, I see the commands running and uninstalling the modules that were installed with the install all option.
Would not this come from the 6.5.30 system?
I am still looking for a command that will allow me to format the hard drive by erasing all data without me having to go through the command fx auto that lasts for me 14 hours.
jmjsgi
O2

Find Reply
01-27-2019, 07:47 AM
I got this off Ian Mapleson's website:

Clearing Old Data Prior to Installation

One can use another IRIX system to do this, but do not use a non-6.5 system. This is because the volume header information is not quite the same in 6.2 compared to 6.5. Also, if you use a much later version of 6.5, eg. 6.5.15, then the older 6.5 boot kernel on the CD will not be able to mount a disk which has been fx'd using the fx program from the running IRIX system. This is because slight changes were made to the XFS file system structure in 6.5.6. It doesn't matter if you intend to boot from the corresponding later Installation Tools and Overlays CDs for the main installation, but it does matter if you intend to boot using the original June 1998 Installation Tools CD. Thus, it's better to use the boot version of fx from the CD you're going to use to repartition the disk, unless you happen to have a running IRIX system that has just 6.5 with no updates. Plus, I've been told that the changes made in 6.5.6 were to aid with improved NFS performance with XFS filesystems; if this is important to you, then you may wish to do the installation using a 6.5.6-or-later CD set anyway. Even so, the information given here is still generally applicable.

Thus, the normal way to clear any old data and begin the installation is as follows:

Boot up the system, press ESC to obtain the Command Monitor. At this point, an extract from the IRIX online manual, "System Configuration and Operation", is useful to explain what is happening here:

The command monitor has been designed to keep it independent of operating systems and as small as possible. Therefore, the command monitor cannot directly boot files residing in IRIX or other operating system file trees. However, the command monitor provides a two-level boot mechanism that lets it load an intermediary program that understands filesystems; this program can then find and load the desired boot file. The program is called the standalone shell, and is referred to as sash. sash is a reconfigured and expanded version of the command monitor program, and includes the modules needed to handle operating system file structures. It also has enhanced knowledge about devices. After the system software is installed, a copy of sash is located in the volume header of the first disk. The header contains a very simple file structure that the command monitor understands. You can also boot sash from tape or across the network.
Thus, the idea is to boot into sash on the CDROM and from there into fx, the main IRIX disk utility program.

Enter hinv if necessary to confirm the SCSI controller number and SCSI ID number of the CDROM. Enter the following command to boot from the CD (make sure the 'Installation Tools' CD is in the CDROM drive):

boot -f dksc(X,Y,8)sashARCS dksc(X,Y,7)stand/fx.ARCS --x
where X is the SCSI controller number, and Y is the SCSI ID of the CDROM drive. According to the fx man page, the above command applies to systems with the 32bit ARCS PROM, namely Indigo, R4K Indigo2, Indy, Onyx, Challenge and O2.

For systems with the 64bit ARCS PROM - POWER Challenge, POWER Onyx, POWER Indigo2, Indigo2 10000, Origin, Onyx2, Octane, and all newer systems - use this command:

boot -f dksc(X,Y,8)sash64 dksc(X,Y,7)stand/fx.64 --x
although note that some systems may show the device as cdrom(x,y,z) rather than dksc(x,y,z). I found this to be the case on my Origin200 and so the command I used was as follows (the CDROM was on SCSI controller 1, ID 6):

boot -f cdrom(1,6,8)sash64 cdrom(1,6,7)stand/fx.64 --x
In some cases, often R4K IRIS Indigo for unknown reasons, one may have to boot in two stages, first into the sash and then into fx. I suspect this may happen because the CDROM doesn't quite respond as expected on older hardware. Either way, just split the boot command sequence into two steps if required, eg. the typical sequence might be:

boot -f dksc(X,Y,8)sashARCS
   boot -f dksc(X,Y,7)stand/fx.ARCS --x
You will now be in the fx program. Press enter until you see the main menu (I'm assuming that controller 0, ID 1 will indeed be your root disk). Enter 'r' for repartition, 'ro' for root drive option, press Enter to confirm XFS, enter 'yes' to confirm the request, '..' to change menus up one level, 'l' to create a new disk label, 'sy' to sync the disk (write out the new label), and finally '/exit' to quit fx.

This is the line that's important for you:

You will now be in the fx program. Press enter until you see the main menu (I'm assuming that controller 0, ID 1 will indeed be your root disk). Enter 'r' for repartition, 'ro' for root drive option, press Enter to confirm XFS, enter 'yes' to confirm the request, '..' to change menus up one level, 'l' to create a new disk label, 'sy' to sync the disk (write out the new label), and finally '/exit' to quit fx.

There's no need to exercise the drive, which can take hours!

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2019, 09:32 AM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Website Find Reply
01-27-2019, 09:31 AM
Irinirus,
I made and redone the manip several times.
The fx command with the choices "r" then "ro" then "l" and "sy", do not remove the data from the hard disk.
To remove everything, you must either use the command "a"uto or "ex"ercice with the choice write only.
The problem is that the erasure of the data lasts at least 8:00 for a 18GB and up to 16:00 for a 146GB.
I did it 4 times on my HDD.
I took the installation formula you wrote earlier in the post and I still have the same error on the command "install prereqs".
I think the prereqs command installs the 4DWxm module which is the interface manager.
At each of the standard installations with the error prereqs, I ended up with irix without interface.
I wake twice the installation with the option "all" and fight with the 84 conflicts.

Does anyone have an explanation about the error of the "install prereqs" command?
jmjsgi
O2

Find Reply
02-05-2019, 06:58 PM
(02-05-2019, 06:58 PM)jmjsgi Wrote:  Irinirus,
I made and redone the manip several times.
The fx command with the choices "r" then "ro" then "l" and "sy", do not remove the data from the hard disk.
To remove everything, you must either use the command "a"uto or "ex"ercice with the choice write only.
The problem is that the erasure of the data lasts at least 8:00 for a 18GB and up to 16:00 for a 146GB.
I did it 4 times on my HDD.
I took the installation formula you wrote earlier in the post and I still have the same error on the command "install prereqs".
I think the prereqs command installs the 4DWxm module which is the interface manager.
At each of the standard installations with the error prereqs, I ended up with irix without interface.
I wake twice the installation with the option "all" and fight with the 84 conflicts.

Does anyone have an explanation about the error of the "install prereqs" command?

It's normal to get that error when you type "install prereqs"

You just type the command to ensure that prereqs are installed if necessary.

[Image: tOWm8tF.jpg]

I've installed IRIX 6.5.30 countless times without issue using this method, I really think that the applications CD that you're using is the problem!

As far as I understand it, the Graphical User Interface for IRIX is on the applications CD.

When I finally get to installing IRIX on my Octane2 I think I will make a video of the process to help others! (I need to acquire an external CD-ROM to do this.)

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2019, 07:57 PM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Website Find Reply
02-05-2019, 07:47 PM