IRIX x86 port
IRIX x86 port
Putting this under "Other UNIX" so it isn't confused with the normal MIPS versions of IRIX. A while ago I found this but couldn't really find more information on it no matter how hard I kept digging. This seems like something that might be worth looking into as a community. Maybe whoever has the source now also has experimental ports like this rumored x86 version. It could be on tapes somewhere still in HP's basement. Who knows. 

Can anyone confirm or deny IRIX on x86, or shine a bit more light on it? 

Original: https://mattst88.com/blog/2009/04/09/IRI...700MHz_O2/
Archive: https://archive.fo/hq65l
shrek
O2

Threads: 4
Find Reply
01-04-2019, 10:27 PM
RE: IRIX x86 port
Quote:<jbarnes> I played with some that had pmc 700MHz chips
[...]

<jbarnes> I think we ended up not shipping due to some weird fp bug
It was the 400MHz PMC Sierra RM7000 which had an FP bug (which was exposed by A|W Maya); SGI ended up recalling them and replacing them with 350MHz chips.

"skunkworks" projects like porting your code to another platform and not all that uncommon but there's a big difference between being able to boot something on an engineers workstation and a shipping product, never mind a company willing to sell in the first place, and support it of course.

If this wasn't part of the company's roadmap it was probably never archived, so even if HPE has everything SGI archived, chances of them having things like this are ... unlikely.
jan-jaap
SGI Collector

Threads: 10
Website Find Reply
01-04-2019, 11:41 PM
RE: IRIX x86 port
Typo in Matt's blog post, the guy jbarnes was referring to is Rich Altmaier (not Rich Altmier), he was at SGI from 1992 to 2008, whereupon he went to Intel, he retired in 2016...

Project: Temporarily lost at sea
Plan: World domination! Or something...
vishnu
Octane

Threads: 1
Find Reply
01-29-2019, 01:57 AM