PC Talk (A place to discuss all things PC)
RE: PC Talk (A place to discuss all things PC)
(01-05-2019, 09:19 AM)Irinikus Wrote:  The point that I'm making here is that people tend to run after the latest and greatest, AT HUGE EXPENSE, but all that's really needed to keep a good system relevant and running for years to come, is the strategic replacement of key components when necessary!

Fitting a top tear graphics card or a PCIe SSD (although expensive), is allot cheaper than shelling out for a completely new system!

Interestingly enough though, it depends on a fair amount of variables. The majority of video cards for instance, are NOT backwards compatible with the PCI-e x16 1.0 specification, so if you want to run a PCI-e x16 GPU on a 1.0 slot, your options are very limited. And then we run into the issue of not all GPUs *cough* AMD/ATI *cough* not following UEFI specifications making them incompatible with certain UEFIs.

So there are huge compatibility hurdles.

"Windows 10 is terrible for any computer. It's like meth. It's just bad for everyone, and the only people who like it are pretty fucked up" - Praetor
micrex22
PS/2 it!

Threads: 8
Find Reply
01-12-2019, 07:11 PM
I agree in that you can only take it so far. (The PCI-e x16 1.0 specification is unfortunately a bit long in the tooth.)

However, with strategic upgrades, you can extend a system's life considerably.

PCI-e solid state drives alleviate the problems of outdated SATA specifications and PCI-e USB expansion cards give you modern USB specifications.

PCI-e 4 GPU's won't be backwards compatible at all as far as I'm aware, so the Titan Volta's probably the last card that any of us running older systems can consider as a final upgrade for our systems.

If I had to fit such a card into this system of mine, I'm sure I could run it well into the 2020's! (That's rather amazing for a 2010 vintage! Smile )

I agree that you'll have to do your homework to combat potential comparability issues though.

[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2019, 07:38 PM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Threads: 99
Website Find Reply
01-12-2019, 07:36 PM
(01-12-2019, 07:36 PM)Irinikus Wrote:  I agree in that you can only take it so far. (The PCI-e x16 1.0 specification is unfortunately a bit long in the tooth.)
Not necessarily long in the tooth in the sense the only 'newest' card to work in PCI-e x16 1.0 is a GT520 (any AMD equivalents fail to allow the computer to POST). You'd THINK a 3.8 GHz Pentium 4 would be able to run something better with PCI-express technology. Although I've not tried any newer Nvidia cards, I should do that for shits later--and maybe install windows 10 on it to exemplify Microsoft's hypocrisy "you can't run your new hardware on windows 7--even though it actually is possible--but we would LOVE You to use our advertisement-laden-money-making OS on older hardware".
There are so many stupidities about both Nvidia and AMD (who retained a lot of the negative ATI particulars). I've had no issues with Matrox but of course their GPU capabilities are dramatically more limited and haven't been refreshed since like the G450 core--I suspect their other cards are still built on slightly souped up G450s.

"Windows 10 is terrible for any computer. It's like meth. It's just bad for everyone, and the only people who like it are pretty fucked up" - Praetor
micrex22
PS/2 it!

Threads: 8
Find Reply
01-12-2019, 11:54 PM
The whole Win7 on new hardware is largely a lie anyway.

Just over a year ago I bought a NUC with a Kaby Lake CPU. I decided (purely for experimentation) to try and get Windows 7 working on it. It's tough as Intel don't make Windows 7 drivers available for Kaby Lake systems, however by using combinations of drivers for slightly older platforms (which worked fine), I was able to get most hardware working correctly. The biggest challenge was the Intel IRIS graphics. However if you edit the driver INI file to replicate the Windows 10 detection line for the IRIS graphics and pop it into the Windows 7 section of the INI file, the drivers will install correctly.

Result, Kaby Lake NUC running Windows 7 with all hardware fully functional with drivers.

I admittedly did this for a challenge before wiping the NUC and popping Linux onto it, but it proves that MS's block is purely artificial.

Incidentally, my main PC these days is an AMD Ryzen system and this does run Windows 7 as its main OS (despite MS not "allowing" it). Again, everything works fine and I've had zero issues with it.

Indigo2 IMPACT R10000 195MHz, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT, 36GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Fuel R14000 600MHz, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
O2 in storage...
Trippynet
Indigo2 IMPACT

Threads: 1
Find Reply
01-13-2019, 12:01 PM
I had windows 10 installed on my Gaming PC and a few weeks ago it developed a problem that couldn't be fixed, so I reverted back to windows 8.1 and as far as I'm concerned I seem to be preferring windows 8.1.

[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Threads: 99
Website Find Reply
01-13-2019, 01:07 PM
(01-12-2019, 11:54 PM)micrex22 Wrote:  Not necessarily long in the tooth in the sense the only 'newest' card to work in PCI-e x16 1.0 is a GT520 (any AMD equivalents fail to allow the computer to POST). You'd THINK a 3.8 GHz Pentium 4 would be able to run something better with PCI-express technology. Although I've not tried any newer Nvidia cards, I should do that for shits later [...]
I got a xw9400 with NVIDIA nForce Professional 3600 and NVIDIA nForce Pro 3050 chipsets (according to this datasheet) which according to Wikipedia's information about these chipsets are only offering PCIe 1.0a. I use a GeForce GTX 560 TI in it, so maybe such a card will also work for your "top-of-the-line" Pentium 4 (Dual-Core I assume?) machine. Together with the two 8393 Opterons (4 Cores @ 3.1 GHz each) it allows to play AC4 well. Fallout 4 is also playable with lower texture resolution. I'd love to visit Paris in AC Unity, but am unsure if the 1 GB of graphics memory of the 560 TI will allow for a nice experience - and I still have to finish Fallout 4 first.  Wink

Indigo Indy Indigo2 IMPACT O2 Octane Octane2 Origin 200 = Origin 200 - Origin 200 = Origin 200

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM by johnnym.)
johnnym
O2

Threads: 2
Find Reply
01-13-2019, 10:29 PM