indy with XZ graphics on irix 6.5
indy with XZ graphics on irix 6.5
Hello to everyone,

First timer here...

I have an Indy system with a 24Bit graphics card and which has IRIX 6.5 installed.
Someone gave me a XZ graphics system (2 boards) which i have installed into the indy.

Does anyone know what the procedure is to reconfigure the operating system to fully support the new XZ graphics card,
so I don't have to reinstall the whole operating system ?

I am new to IRIX...

Jim
jimwaverly
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
11-08-2018, 04:20 AM
RE: indy with XZ graphics on irix 6.5
I'm not sure if you do need to reinstall for the XZ when upgrading from the XL/24, but I recommend reinstalling when you switch processor family, graphics or add more disks as IRIX isn't flexible like a BSD or Solaris when it comes to this.

The magma of our souls burns with a mighty flame! Gurren Lagann! Just who in the hell do you think we are!?

Proud member of Team Gurren, the founder, operator, and developer behind IRIX Network. 

I'm carrying on Pete's legacy, and while I'm not perfect, I'm the only man for the job. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself.

[Image: daigurrensig.png]
Raion
Operator

Threads: 89
Website Find Reply
11-08-2018, 05:48 AM
Because the XZ graphic subsystem is part of the EXPRESS graphics family and the XL8/24 is from NEWPORT, you need to reinstall the graphical subsystem in IRIX. In http://forums.irix.cc/thread-117-post-749.html i have reposted a recipe from Ian Mapleson on how to do this:

Quote:Btw, for those who don't want to do a full reinstall, here's how to reinstall just the gfx/X libraries to switch from one card to another:

Copy the relevant files to disk from the 6.5 base CD and from the relevant 6.5.x CD, in this example using 6.5.26...

mkdir /usr/local/gfx

From Foundation 1:

cd /CDROM/dist
cp eoe* x_eoe* /usr/local/gfx
cd
eject

From 6.5.26 Installation Tools and Overlays 1 of 3:

cd /CDROM/dist
cp eoe_6526m* x_eoe_6526m* /usr/local/gfx

Then restart and boot into miniroot from the relevant 6.5.x boot CD. At the
inst prompt:

/root/usr/local/gfx
keep *
i eoe.sw.gfx
i eoe.sw64.gfx
i x_eoe.sw.Server
i x_eoe.sw.eoe
i x_eoe.sw64.eoe
go
quit
y

Cheers!

Ian.
dexter1
Global Moderator

Threads: 10
Find Reply
11-08-2018, 09:27 AM
Thank you for th replies.

I will give it a go and see if i can get it to work over the weekend.

Cheers!!!
jimwaverly
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
11-09-2018, 06:54 AM
(11-08-2018, 09:27 AM)dexter1 Wrote:  Because the XZ graphic subsystem is part of the EXPRESS graphics family and the XL8/24 is from NEWPORT, you need to reinstall the graphical subsystem in IRIX. In http://forums.irix.cc/thread-117-post-749.html i have reposted a recipe from Ian Mapleson on how to do this:

Quote:At the inst prompt:
[...]
i eoe.sw64.gfx
i x_eoe.sw64.eoe[...]
The *.sw64.* subsystems are not relevant to the Indy. You don't have them, you don't need to change them. The procedure in general is spot on, otherwise.
jan-jaap
SGI Collector

Website Find Reply
11-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Jan-Jaap is correct, the 64 bit packages are not needed for the Indy. I copied this from the Octane graphics card swap thread, hence the extra 64 bit dependencies.
dexter1
Global Moderator

Find Reply
11-09-2018, 09:15 AM