Your first SGI encounter?
RE: Your first SGI encounter?
(03-22-2019, 03:06 PM)cascatino Wrote:  
(02-28-2019, 11:28 PM)RobinHayes Wrote:  The first time I saw an SGI machine was in 1987 at the SRI lab in Palo Alto, CA. it was running the jello-cube demo. I was blown away, I had access to an AED frame buffer that rendered images at about one scan-line per second, and this thing was running real-time physics simulations!

I had already decided I had to study computer graphics, but this was the turning point, I went to foothill college, where there was an IRIS-2000 Turbo, and learned IRIX. Later that lab got a 4D-20, and then a 4D-35.  I then decided that I must work at SGI so I quit school and got a job as the first tech hire at the SGI help-desk, and then worked on the Desktop Computing group putting together IRIX configurations to mirror the disk image for new employee machines. I stayed at SGI for many years, I was a pre-sales presenter at the demo center for a while and got to use the cave installation a few times.

I moved to different positions at SGI but stayed there until 1998 when my group (by then I was a “World Builder’ at Cosmo) was sold to another company.

As part of my lay-off from Platinum a year later I got to keep my by-then depreciated assets. So somewhere in my garage is a Power Indigo2, and an R4000 (I think).

(01-09-2019, 10:25 PM)airbozo Wrote:  No Problem.

I have a ton of stories from SGI. Even more t-shirts.

Another T-shirt story comes from a trade show we were at where Intel was proudly touting their "Intel Inside" Campaign.  It was just about the time SGI was starting to collaborate with Intel and we went out and hod some t-shirts printed that mimicked the Intel theme except with the SGI logo and the tag line: "Attitude Inside".

Most of those shirts got destroyed as well.  I never got one, but if I did, it would still be on my shelf.

I still have (and wear) my ‘attitude inside’ shirt. I was part of the team that was distributing them, and didn’t return mine when management got scared and decided not to let anyone wear them (they replaced them with ones with just the Onyx logo) I wore it proudly to Siggraph that year (although not while I was working the SGI booth). It’s pretty old now, but I still wear it to place I’m likely to bump into old-time 3D guys to see if anyone will recognize it.

RH

I'd love to see that t-shirt! What about posting an image of it?

Had to wait 'til the next time I did a dark load Tongue

The color on the Onyx logo is starting to get a bit strange, but other than that it's holding up pretty well considering.
RobinHayes
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
04-03-2019, 03:25 AM
Nice! Smile

[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Threads: 155
Website Find Reply
04-03-2019, 03:41 AM
Really nice! If you could take a better picture of the logos then it could be possible to make a new t-shirt out of it!

sgi lover - Jesi, Italy
<E>O2</E> [email protected] 780Mb RAM - "Frodo"<br/>
<E>Fuel </E> [email protected], 2Gb RAM - "Enzo"<br/>
<E>Indy</E>  still to explore</br>
<E>O2</E> [email protected] 128Mb RAM<br/>
<E>Fuel </E> [email protected], 1Gb RAM<br/>
cascatino
O2

Threads: 5
Find Reply
04-05-2019, 08:17 PM
It would be nice if he could get the logo's scanned.

[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Threads: 155
Website Find Reply
04-06-2019, 04:36 AM
My first encounter with a Silicon Graphics system was in 1995 at SMAU expo in Milano-Italy .
A desksize Onyx running a flight simulator demo.
A representative from SGI gave me a brochure of Onyx systems and a sticker "..helping build a better dinosaur".
Then fewfdays later I have received a call with a quotation of the smallest hardware "for students" at that time: an Indy for "only" 8000€ (converted to actual currency) without monitor.
DBJ974
SGI enthusiast

Threads: 0
Find Reply
04-08-2019, 11:08 AM
First sighting must have been at Art Center College of Design circa 1989/1990? Lot of seats of Alias!

First use was on a big grey 3130 at William Patterson College circa 1991? Only 8mb ram, had to exit Alias and the Mex windowing system to use the renderer on the command line (on a Wyse terminal).

First time using one professionally was in 1994 at FASA Interactive for Battletech the Animated Series and for Mech Commander. A brand new Indigo 2 Extreme. That I didn't have to share with anyone???!! I was in HEAVEN. Those were good times.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2019, 01:12 AM by Dylanear.)
Dylanear
O2

Threads: 3
Find Reply
04-13-2019, 12:41 AM
First experience was at Art School, they got a few Indigo2's running Alias Wavefront. Nobody knew how to use them and they asked for volunteers to learn, I was the only person who wanted to use them Smile

After finishing school I worked at a game company (Monolith), we got some Indigo2's running Softimage 3D, used that to build cut-scenes and effects for the games Blood and Shogo.

I also worked at MS and set up a bunch of O2's on a remote campus to be used as a render farm by different games and animation groups using Maya. That wasn't so fun and I kept having things go "missing" or mysteriously become "disconnected" from the network, the MS types *really* didn't like any competing HW/OS around.

After that I did some contract work using Maya on an Octane and got a hold of a VW540, with quad procs and full 2GB of ram running 3DSMax and Nichimen Mirai.

Been out of the 3D/art scene for awhile now, currently I design large scale Docker/Kubernetes systems for a large finance company. I am getting a new (to me) Octane2 (thanks Mashek Systems!) soon. I have always thought that IRIX was the best overall OS I have ever used and the SGI systems were so unique, time to start building a collection.
pcar
O2

Threads: 0
Find Reply
04-13-2019, 02:30 AM
First encounter was at Marconi Simulation in Dunfermline in 1993 I think it was, invited by some friends who worked there whom I'd gotten to know via the Tangerine Dream music mailing list.

They had an Onyx RE2 rack, Crimsons, Personal IRIS and several IRIS Indigo systems. Instantly hooked, the Onyx blew me away.

Ian.
mapesdhs
O2

Threads: 3
Find Reply
04-15-2019, 04:39 PM
My first experience with SGI was in the mid 90's (like 1996 I think). A family member worked at Boeing headquarters in their black R&D division (JSF weapons related) and took me for their "take your child to work day"... I was JUST old enough to make the cut off. I was shown a Purple Indigo2 with Boeing CATIA CAD software on it and attached SpaceBall, pretty smooth real-time part rotation. Then we went into the small conference room, it had an overhead CRT projector and a podium. Behind the Podium there was an ONYX!!!, it was used to provide assembly fly-through of the CATIA models during meetings. They could display several assembles then fly through sections, cuts, and drill downs...it was a little jerky, but smooth compared to anything else you could really get. Not knowing much at the time, I only remember it's mini-fridge size and it was colored black with purple accents and had ONYX written on it.

Two years later I had the opportunity to buy an R4400 250Mhz Purple High IMPACT Indigo2 (previously owned by BF goodrich) From RE-PC (old South Center location) in 1998, they wouldn't negotiate, $800...We bought it anyway...and that was my first SGI, I had gotten into Linux in 1995, so wanted to experience commercial UNIXes. I still have it!

I still buy and fix SGI stuff today..It's no longer really about the software. For me it's like working on old super cars, to think these things cost as much as a luxury automobile (or more) and the special aesthetic design they put into them. They just look cool! I've not had any of the big iron stuff...desktop units only.

I really wish Apple or Microsoft would take design that seriously. It needs to be a work of art if it's going to sit on your desk all day. I think people would likely say the SGI designs are dated...but perhaps that is what drew me...they are perfectly dated to the era they come from!
weblacky
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
05-20-2019, 10:46 PM