D!$n3y's vintage SGI VR experiments
D!$n3y's vintage SGI VR experiments

Wanted to share this video on how DExclamationExclamationExclamationExclamationy Imagineering used SGI tech for their VR research back in the mid 90s.
Video title states this particular demo was filmed in Epcot back in '94 (but the description also states this was shown at SIGGRAPH Orlando that year). I still wasn't born yet at the time (1999, but at least I didn't miss anything from the 2000s).
I sorta remember the Aladdin VR ride from D-quest back when I visited it in 2007. Was the only time I've been there, honestly. My parents weren't so fond of D-quest as there was no way to view the outside. Not counting the N64, this ride is pretty much my answer to Irinikus' thread on first SGI encounters.

The demo shown in the video, according to its description, had each HMD hooked into an Onyx with three graphics pipes. The final version used in D-quest was an Onyx2 with one graphic pipe driving four HMDs simultaneously, which sacrificed the output resolution for the sake of cost I presume?

The engine used in the VR labs spun off into its own game engine: Panda3D
Yeah, D made their own game engine out of this. Not for long, however. Ever since they shut off their MMOs that used it (ToonTown Online, for instance) and basically left the games industry, they handed the tech over to Carnegie Mellon. CMU specifically since they helped incorporate the BSD license in favor of D's semi-proprietary license. Apparently there is still a use base for it and just recently the project had its branding revamped.

If only Epcot was still cool. Kids these days don't appear to be interested in how tech has changed over the years, but in reality has tech really gotten any cooler? Either way, Epcot's latest innovation exhibits weren't so great as sponsorships both fell out of favor (D was in a dire financial situation throughout the 90s; sponsorships were keeping em afloat) and honestly don't offer anything interesting.

-=JackNet=-

Your typical IT river otter with glasses.
Doing SGI stuff since the last time we all partied like it's 1999.

O2 NETOTT-SGI1
400MHz R12k, 640MB RAM, 146GB HDD, IRIX 6.5.30, A/V, Arctic F8 PSU fan
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 03:28 AM by JackNet.)
JackNet
O2

Threads: 2
Website Find Reply
06-13-2019, 03:00 AM
RE: D!$n3y's vintage SGI VR experiments
(06-13-2019, 03:00 AM)JackNet Wrote:  If only Epcot was still cool. Kids these days don't appear to be interested in how tech has changed over the years, but in reality has tech really gotten any cooler? Either way, Epcot's latest innovation exhibits weren't so great as sponsorships both fell out of favor (D was in a dire financial situation throughout the 90s; sponsorships were keeping em afloat) and honestly don't offer anything interesting.

Tell me about it. Was there in 2013. Much of what it once had was gone and the lineups were awful. Ended up being rather of a money waste. Please people do not ever go there - atleast until they make serious changes.

Octane2 - Octane II: 2x600MHZ R14000 CPU - 2.5GB RAM - V12 Graphics - DCD

Indigo2 IMPACT  - Indigo2: R10000 195MHZ CPU - 128MB RAM - MaxIMPACT graphics - being sold

Octane - Octane: 2x360MHZ CPU - 1GB RAM - EMXI graphics - sold.

O2 - O2: R5000 180MHZ CPU - 128MB RAM - sold
Krokodil
Octane II

Find Reply
06-13-2019, 01:42 PM
(06-13-2019, 01:42 PM)Krokodil Wrote:  Tell me about it. Was there in 2013. Much of what it once had was gone and the lineups were awful. Ended up being rather of a money waste. Please people do not ever go there - atleast until they make serious changes.

Pretty sure there's not gonna be the "serious changes" we hope should happen, but yeah I'd honestly agree that the park's no longer representative of a vision of tomorrow's tech. The Innoventions centers now are just baby STEM exhibits with simple science experiments that I've already seen in primary school. Not to mention that one of the attractions is gonna be replaced with a rollercoaster that honestly doesn't hint at having educational value whatsoever (I don't even like riding coasters as much, even though I love creating them).
The world cultures aspect doesn't fare better either. My dad used to love the viking ride in the Norway pavilion, but now it's just fangirl garbage Frozen and Frozen and more Frozen.
There's also the ol' fireworks show that's supposedly gonna be replaced with one about Epcot's legacy. Which would've been an awesome addition, if only it wasn't temporary as they set up for some more IP trash.
This era of IPcot needs to be seriously addressed. D----y fanboys (and notably execs) are okay with it for some odd reason, but I'm honestly not and neither is anyone who remembers the times when the park was cool.

I know I'm sorta going off-topic with this, but like there should be more proper representation of tech exhibits in the future section of park. Maybe get those centers up again and show current technologies vs the ones that were displayed then and show how tech progress led us to it. Why not turn them into a tech museum? But nope, all we get is just lazy execs doing stupid moves.

-=JackNet=-

Your typical IT river otter with glasses.
Doing SGI stuff since the last time we all partied like it's 1999.

O2 NETOTT-SGI1
400MHz R12k, 640MB RAM, 146GB HDD, IRIX 6.5.30, A/V, Arctic F8 PSU fan
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 06:25 PM by JackNet.)
JackNet
O2

Website Find Reply
06-13-2019, 06:18 PM
(06-13-2019, 06:18 PM)JackNet Wrote:  
(06-13-2019, 01:42 PM)Krokodil Wrote:  Tell me about it. Was there in 2013. Much of what it once had was gone and the lineups were awful. Ended up being rather of a money waste. Please people do not ever go there - atleast until they make serious changes.

Pretty sure there's not gonna be the "serious changes" we hope should happen, but yeah I'd honestly agree that the park's no longer representative of a vision of tomorrow's tech. The Innoventions centers now are just baby STEM exhibits with simple science experiments that I've already seen in primary school. Not to mention that one of the attractions is gonna be replaced with a rollercoaster that honestly doesn't hint at having educational value whatsoever (I don't even like riding coasters as much, even though I love creating them).
The world cultures aspect doesn't fare better either. My dad used to love the viking ride in the Norway pavilion, but now it's just fangirl garbage Frozen and Frozen and more Frozen.
There's also the ol' fireworks show that's supposedly gonna be replaced with one about Epcot's legacy. Which would've been an awesome addition, if only it wasn't temporary as they set up for some more IP trash.
This era of IPcot needs to be seriously addressed. D----y fanboys (and notably execs) are okay with it for some odd reason, but I'm honestly not and neither is anyone who remembers the times when the park was cool.

I know I'm sorta going off-topic with this, but like there should be more proper representation of tech exhibits in the future section of park. Maybe get those centers up again and show current technologies vs the ones that were displayed then and show how tech progress led us to it. Why not turn them into a tech museum? But nope, all we get is just lazy execs doing stupid moves.

I figure their new attitude to the park started around the time they closed and demolished Horizons, a ride I never got to see, but am well aware of. Now Epcot isn't special anymore, it's just another theme park to make money off stupid people.

Octane2 - Octane II: 2x600MHZ R14000 CPU - 2.5GB RAM - V12 Graphics - DCD

Indigo2 IMPACT  - Indigo2: R10000 195MHZ CPU - 128MB RAM - MaxIMPACT graphics - being sold

Octane - Octane: 2x360MHZ CPU - 1GB RAM - EMXI graphics - sold.

O2 - O2: R5000 180MHZ CPU - 128MB RAM - sold
Krokodil
Octane II

Find Reply
06-15-2019, 12:47 AM