Correct PROM settings for Personal IRIS IP6...
Correct PROM settings for Personal IRIS IP6...
Hi all! Anyone know what the right PROM settings are for an IP6 Personal IRIS? After poweron (normal diags passed ok via serial console) the system tries to start but then just beeps and ends up at the PROM menu.

Atm the settings are as follows:

Code:
netaddr=192.168.100.55
dbaud=9600
rbaud=1200
bootfile=dksc(0,1,8)sash
path=dksc(0,1,8)
root=dks0d1s0
keybd=df
console=G
bootmode=m
gfx=alive

In Command Monitor, if I just enter "boot" then it goes into sash ok. At this point I notice via printenv that "path" is now:

Code:
Code:
path=dksc(0,1,8) dksc(0,1,0)

And if I now enter "unix" then it boots IRIX just fine (4.0.5). So manually it works ok, but the current settings are wrong somehow to enable automatic booting. Thoughts anyone?

Here's the system working btw (hinv is slightly out of date as it now has 12MB RAM, though I need to find another 4MB kit; email/PM if you have such a kit available):  

[Image: P1160535s.jpg]

Cheers! Smile

Ian.
mapesdhs
O2

Threads: 4
Find Reply
06-12-2019, 10:35 AM
RE: Correct PROM settings for Personal IRIS IP6...
Hi Ian,

(06-12-2019, 10:35 AM)mapesdhs Wrote:  Hi all! Anyone know what the right PROM settings are for an IP6 Personal IRIS? After poweron (normal diags passed ok via serial console) the system tries to start but then just beeps and ends up at the PROM menu.

Atm the settings are as follows:

Code:
netaddr=192.168.100.55
dbaud=9600
rbaud=1200
bootfile=dksc(0,1,8)sash
path=dksc(0,1,8)
root=dks0d1s0
keybd=df
console=G
bootmode=m
gfx=alive

In Command Monitor, if I just enter "boot" then it goes into sash ok. At this point I notice via printenv that "path" is now:

Code:
Code:
path=dksc(0,1,8) dksc(0,1,0)

And if I now enter "unix" then it boots IRIX just fine (4.0.5). So manually it works ok, but the current settings are wrong somehow to enable automatic booting. Thoughts anyone?

I don't remember if my Indigo R3000 (thankfully passed over to me by dexter1 Smile ) automatically booted, but I used the auto command instead of boot from the PROM monitor to boot the OS. The "IRIX Advanced Site and Server Administration Guide" gives some info about what it does. I currently don't have the machine at hand, but I have a copy of the environment available and there I have used c for bootmode. Maybe the latter actually does the trick to automatically boot into the OS after startup:

From "IRIX Admin: System Configuration and Operation"
Code:
bootmode

Specifies the type of boot in pre-ARCS PROMs. ARCS PROMs store this information in the AutoLoad variable. The options have these meanings:

c performs a complete cold autoboot, using the file pointed to by the bootfile variable to boot the kernel; boots sash, then boots kernel; and runs power-on diagnostics.

m (default) goes straight to the command monitor, clears memory, and runs power-on diagnostics.

d goes straight to the command monitor, does not clear memory and does not run power-on diagnostics.

Indigo Indy Indigo2 IMPACT O2 Octane Octane2 Origin 200 = Origin 200 - Origin 200 = Origin 200

johnnym
Octane

Threads: 3
Find Reply
06-12-2019, 05:36 PM