New Mac Pro - what are your thoughts?
New Mac Pro - what are your thoughts?
From a hardware point of view, it looks to be rather impressive, but from an aesthetic point of view, it just doesn't do it for me at all!!!

[Image: XJcNntm.jpg]

[Image: 397uAh4.jpg]

At first glance, I just don't feel myself having to run to the shop and grab one!

However, sadly this (The ASUS Prime Utopia concept) appeals to me far more, and I would run off to the store to grab one of these things: (So it just may be back to PPEEECCCCC for me!)

[Image: ZpC06Pv.jpg]

[Image: TJBZs6N.jpg]

I will just have to experience one of these new mace in the flesh, before coming to a decision, I suppose!

[Image: TNWhJMc.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2019, 04:30 AM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Threads: 159
Website Find Reply
06-05-2019, 04:28 AM
RE: New Mac Pro - what are your thoughts?
I don't have a lot to add to the technical discussions that have been taking place all over the Net, but I will say that I immediately thought of the SGI Prism moiré design when I saw the frontal view of the new Mac's vents.
josehill
O2

Threads: 0
Find Reply
06-05-2019, 03:11 PM
I just can't get past those chrome handles and feet, that really just look like an afterthought!!! Sad

And what the hell would I possibly need 1.2TB of RAM for? I mean REALLY!!!

Can 28 cores really effectively leverage 1.2TB of RAM?

I definitely think I'm going to seriously consider the ASUS PRIME UTOPIA, when it eventually comes out, as it's also completely modular and configurable and absolutely stunning aesthetically speaking in my opinion.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2019, 03:39 PM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Website Find Reply
06-05-2019, 03:37 PM
(06-05-2019, 03:37 PM)Irinikus Wrote:  I just can't get past those chrome handles and feet, that really just look like an afterthought!!! Sad

I definitely think I'm going to seriously consider the ASUS PRIME UTOPIA, when it eventually comes out, as it's also completely modular and configurable and absolutely stunning aesthetically speaking in my opinion.

A more likely competitor than the ASUS would be a HP Z-series workstation. An HP Z8 (dual socket) can be ordered with 56 cores, 3TB RAM and multiple Quadro cards. Been on the market for a year.

I don't need one of those and nor do I need a maxed out new MacPro. But some people do.

I personally don't need a 1.4KW heater under my desk either, but I can imagine that if you want to get rid of that much heat *and* you don't want it to sound like a jet engine, that looks are not the only parameter in the case design.
jan-jaap
SGI Collector

Threads: 11
Website Find Reply
06-05-2019, 03:55 PM
(06-05-2019, 03:55 PM)jan-jaap Wrote:  
(06-05-2019, 03:37 PM)Irinikus Wrote:  I just can't get past those chrome handles and feet, that really just look like an afterthought!!! Sad

A more likely competitor than the ASUS would be a HP Z-series workstation. An HP Z8 (dual socket) can be ordered with 56 cores, 3TB RAM and multiple Quadro cards. Been on the market for a year.

I don't need one of those and nor do I need a maxed out new MacPro. But some people do.

I personally don't need a 1.4KW heater under my desk either, but I can imagine that if you want to get rid of that much heat *and* you don't want it to sound like a jet engine, that looks are not the only parameter in the case design.

I'm simply looking at it from a consumer point of view, as I would only want it for home use. I agree that looks aren't the only design parameter for a case, but if I am to use it at home, it has to fit into my home environment and I still have to look at it when I use it!

The ASUS will definitely be enough of a machine for my purposes, with the looks to match! Smile

Sadly Apple has dropped the ball here in my opinion! Sad

I will therefore continue happily with my Trash Can for now. Smile (When I eventually get the ASUS, the Trash Can will find it's place as a media machine in my living room.)

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2019, 04:08 PM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Website Find Reply
06-05-2019, 04:05 PM
I've been eyeing these lately - 

[Image: oFl9Ctv.png]

Octane2 2x R14k 600MHz|2GB|V10|6.5.30
Octane2 1x R12k 400MHz|1GB|V8|6.5.30
pcar
O2

Find Reply
06-05-2019, 04:09 PM
Those look a hell of allot better than that Apple design! Smile

Irinikus
Connoisseur

Website Find Reply
06-05-2019, 04:14 PM
I have this aversion to cheese graters, long story.
VPCII
Venomous Pinecone

Find Reply
06-05-2019, 05:11 PM
And this is definitely the most cheese-grater-like machine they've ever created! (They really took the cheese-grater thing seriously, it seems!)

When I saw it for the first time this morning, it thought "This must be a mistake, right! RIGHT!!! Is this a bad dream!" (Count me out, I'm afraid!)

I was really hoping to see something along these lines: (I would buy this!)

[Image: VlZAN3g.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2019, 05:30 PM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Website Find Reply
06-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Looks like a room dehumidifier, something you stick next to your laundry.

My 7 year old cheesegrater Mac Pro is still going strong with dual 6 core Xeons and 48gb of ram, never used more than half the ram. With an RX580 and nvme drive it's more than adequate for my needs, for years to come.

Octane  1x 400Mhz R12k, 1Gb, V8, 6.5.30m (silent fans)
O2 + 1600SW 300Mhz R12K (R10K upgrade mod),  384Mb, 6.5.30m (silent fans)
JacquesT
Octane & O²

Threads: 47
Find Reply
06-05-2019, 08:12 PM