I'm new! Please be kind ;D
I'm new! Please be kind ;D
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a vintage computer geek and have always wanted an SGI - but being in the UK they are rare to come by on eBay. I recently watched Retromancave's youtube video on the Octane and I did a little ebay searching and bam, I found a decent SGI for a good price.

This is the machine I will be getting:
SGI Octane 2

- cpu 1x r12000-ip30 @400mhz - mips r12012 fpu
- 1gb ram
- graphics = impact sr 4TRAMS
- scsi bus connector
- 18gb hd (scsi)

The thing that made me go for it was the 4 TRAMS because from my research I found that if you don't have the Vpro graphics you absolutely want TRAMS with impact graphics, and this baby having the maximum 4 looked nice. What do you guys think? an OK spec for a new hobby?

I aim to learn a LOT from this machine, I want to play around with anything 3D. Put some internet apps on it, etc. I did hear that these machines can be noisy, so I will definitely be swapping the fans out for Noctua models when I get time.

Some questions:

* Is there a good GUI IRC client for Irix
* Is there a guide for installing apps somewhere on this site?
* For file transfer I have a SCSI ZIP drive, I am hoping this will work on the SGI. On the windows PC I have a usb ZIP.

Please leave any tips you think I need!

Thanks,
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2019, 08:12 PM by stormy.)
stormy
Atari expert!

Threads: 11
Find Reply
05-20-2019, 07:57 PM
RE: I'm new! Please be kind ;D
(05-20-2019, 07:57 PM)mzry Wrote:  Hi all,

I'm a bit of a vintage computer geek and have always wanted an SGI - but being in the UK they are rare to come by on eBay. I recently watched Retromancave's youtube video on the Octane and I did a little ebay searching and bam, I found a decent SGI for a good price.

This is the machine I will be getting:
SGI Octane 2

- cpu 1x r12000-ip30 @400mhz - mips r12012 fpu
- 1gb ram
- graphics = impact sr 4TRAMS
- scsi bus connector
- 18gb hd (scsi)

The thing that made me go for it was the 4 TRAMS because from my research I found that if you don't have the Vpro graphics you absolutely want TRAMS with impact graphics, and this baby having the maximum 4 looked nice. What do you guys think? an OK spec for a new hobby?

I aim to learn a LOT from this machine, I want to play around with anything 3D. Put some internet apps on it, etc. I did hear that these machines can be noisy, so I will definitely be swapping the fans out for Noctua models when I get time.

Some questions:

* Is there a good GUI IRC client for Irix
* Is there a guide for installing apps somewhere on this site?
* For file transfer I have a SCSI ZIP drive, I am hoping this will work on the SGI. On the windows PC I have a usb ZIP.
* I most likely will eventually get a SCSI2SD with the intention of replacing the main drive, has anyone done this already, are there any guides around how to image the drive etc?

Please leave any tips you think I need!

Thanks,

Grats on picking up the Octane from London! Smile The seller is a forum member here. Spec is more than fine for hobby use.

Don't bother with an SCSI2SD card on the Octane, they are slow. Just get yourself a Fujitsu MAS / MAX or Worldisk drive, they are very quiet and about the same noise level as an avg. SATA, maybe just a bit louder on the spin.

Does the machine have a silver handled PSU? If yes then you can use a VPro card, but the MXI/MXE is fine for hobby use.

IRC - There are a few, 'irssi' springs to mind on in the Nekoware archive.

Apps are usually installed via the Software Manager. Just drag the 'dist' folder or .tardist file across to the file path bar. Some applications require installation via scripts. Depends on the app though, so just ask.

SCSI zip should work, though transfer via network is preferred. My Raspi acts as a file server for my SGI machines via NFS.

Stay well away from Noctua fans on the Octane, they don't produce enough static pressure and don't move enough air. You have one fan pulling air throug the machine, it's pulling air around loads of parts, static pressure is very important on the basis the chassis isn't sealed. With MXI/MXE I'd keep the drivebay fan and install a Scythe 1800rpm PSU fan, to start, then try a Zalman F2 without the inline resistor keeping an eye on temps via a laser probe.   See my post here, noting the comments about MXI/MXE. These boards run hot due to the TRAMS, the first thing to go will be the 'hard to come by' TRAMS.

There are various install guides around, I've always stuck to a remote boop / tftp server (my raspi) for installations. You can download IRIX from the net if you need ISO cd's. 

You have tons to choose from on the 3D front...! Smile

Jacques

Octane  1x 400Mhz R12k, 1Gb, V8, 6.5.30m (silent fans)
O2 + 1600SW 300Mhz R12K (R10K upgrade mod),  384Mb, 6.5.30m (silent fans)
JacquesT
Octane & O²

Threads: 47
Find Reply
05-20-2019, 08:22 PM
Thanks very much Jacques.. Good idea about using NFS. I can enable NFS on my network through my NAS. Yes from the photos it has a silver handled PSU. I will follow your guide very carefully if I decide to put quiet fans in, thanks for that.

By the way what do TRAMS look like, do you have any photos? I just want to get an idea of what they are physically on the graphics card, and how they're attached.

Thx
stormy
Atari expert!

Find Reply
05-20-2019, 08:42 PM
They essentially look like two black heatsinks located closest to the board handle side. They attach via 2x each connectors to the gfx board. The connectors, if the solder is very old, have been known to pull away from the board. So beware if you clean / take them apart, best to leave them in-situ and use compressed air.

As always with Octanes, don't touch the compression connectors! 

See below links...

[Image: Max.board.gif]

[Image: octane.04.big.jpg]

Octane  1x 400Mhz R12k, 1Gb, V8, 6.5.30m (silent fans)
O2 + 1600SW 300Mhz R12K (R10K upgrade mod),  384Mb, 6.5.30m (silent fans)
JacquesT
Octane & O²

Threads: 47
Find Reply
05-20-2019, 08:55 PM
Thanks very much! Smile
stormy
Atari expert!

Find Reply
05-20-2019, 09:34 PM
Nice setup you got there!

Octane2 Dual 400 MHz R12k - 2 GB RAM - Dual 73 GB HDD - vPro v12 - IRIX 6.5.30
O2 400 MHz R12k - 512 MB RAM - 73 GB HDD - Video-In - Flatpanelcard+1600SW - IRIX 6.5.30
O2 180 MHz R5k - 128 MB RAM - 18 GB HDD - IRIX 6.5.30
eudatux23
Octane² and O2

Threads: 4
Website Find Reply
05-21-2019, 09:19 AM
I'll be picking it up tomorrow from Herman Smile cant wait
stormy
Atari expert!

Find Reply
05-21-2019, 12:41 PM
As the operator of this website I'd like to welcome you personally.

I believe this community is very open and friendly, mostly because I didn't allow the greybeards and trolls from the old communities to join.

Best of luck with your octane let me know if I can be of assistance, or feel free to reach out to one of the moderators here none of us bite.

Raion
Operator

Threads: 113
Website Find Reply
05-21-2019, 02:26 PM
(05-21-2019, 02:26 PM)Raion Wrote:  mostly because I didn't allow the greybeards and trolls from the old communities to join.

Thank goodness for that. I don't miss the jerks from the other place at all.

Octane2 - Octane II: 2x600MHZ R14000 CPU - 2.5GB RAM - V12 Graphics - DCD

Indigo2 IMPACT  - Indigo2: R10000 195MHZ CPU - 128MB RAM - MaxIMPACT graphics - being sold

Octane - Octane: 2x360MHZ CPU - 1GB RAM - EMXI graphics - sold.

O2 - O2: R5000 180MHZ CPU - 128MB RAM - sold
Krokodil
Octane II

Threads: 2
Find Reply
05-21-2019, 08:14 PM