Need help gaining serial access to Indigo2
Need help gaining serial access to Indigo2
I have an Indigo2 that is faulty, and I want to use serial to see if I can get any kind of output from it since it does not POST or output video. I have a working Indy I plan to use as the terminal, and an Apple serial cable that should work. However, I cannot figure out how to configure the terminal within IRIX 5.3 to have the proper settings for serial transmission, and trying to find the answers via Googling wasn't helping. How can I do this?
itsvince725
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
05-09-2019, 04:57 PM
RE: Need help gaining serial access to Indigo2
I've only done a serial to PC terminal connection on an Indigo2 recently (Serial 1), not using another SGI station as the terminal.

But I'll describe what I did anyway in case it helps you:

The cable I used was a cut up Apple ADB (Min Din 8) Male Cable with a serial DB9 connector I soldered on to it and used a NULL-MODEM Adapter between the DB9 serial cable end and the PC's serial port. I used TeraTerm for the terminal (Free Software) and it worked great!.

SGI Indigo2 Cable pin out is in the SGI Indigo2 Manual, it's called "Serial Devices Using a PC Adapter Cable". I made that cable and stuck a Null Modem adapter to it, the terminal settings I used were indicated on this website: https://software.majix.org/irix/admin-serial.shtml

Restated here:
9600, 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow = 9600 8n1

I did this on a good quality USB Serial adapter on an MS Surface Pro 3 as a portable terminal to "correct" the previous owner dumbly configuring the PROM never to show on the monitor!

I found however that I had to issue a "resetenv" in the PROM, but this PROM command doesn't come FROM the PROM, it comes from an active Irix installation! So I had to install Irix using the Surface Terminal interface to INST, then once running, I had to go back to the PROM (on MS Surface terminal only) and issue resetenv, and it worked...then PROM variables reset to Graphics. If I tried setting "setenv console g" it would say it took...but wouldn't cause the PROM to show! I tried all the variables I could find...in the end resetenv cured it...but it comes from a work Irix install (chicken/Egg) and can't be issued by Irix, it must be issued by PROM terminal.

I recommend you start there,

Good Luck!
weblacky
O2

Find Reply
05-10-2019, 02:26 AM
I appreciate the idea but I don't have the money to buy tools to make cables at the moment...
itsvince725
O2

Find Reply
05-11-2019, 12:46 AM
I bought the male to male serial mini din 8 for 2$ at my local PC Recycler and you could just buy and chop existing cables for under $5. But you'll have to use the signal assignments to map the correct pin out if you want to get it in one shot.

Either way, you'll need to make a cable. Don't expect a normal, straight, m/m cable to do anything.

Serial is all about the correct wire going to the correct pin position. You can't just re-assign pin functionality in software to emulate any cable you want (I wish we could do that). Without the correct cable, your plan won't work.

But you might get away with the "3-wire" dumb terminal cable pin out in the Indigo2 manual, by repeatedly twisting chopped adb cables ends together in cross over combinations until it works. All the signal wires are the same voltage so mismatched wiring shouldn't cause damage (no warranty in that statement).

Good luck.

Edited post: incorrectly labelled Mini din 8 as ADB, corrected.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2019, 10:46 PM by weblacky.)
weblacky
O2

Find Reply
05-11-2019, 01:08 AM
This isn't an ADB cable, it's an 8 pin serial cable that came with an Apple printer.
itsvince725
O2

Find Reply
05-11-2019, 02:57 AM
Ah, you're right, my jargon was off. I did pickup a mini-din 8 serial cables, yes apple serial modem cables were also around, I just found a lot of male to male 6ft cables new in package. I didn't buy the mini-din 8 to DB25 cables from my recycler, I thought it was a waste to cut them up.

If you cannot find a mini-din 8 cable to cut into I can sell you one new in bag, I have several and I'm not going to really use them. PM me if you're interested and I can provide pics of the cable. I'd be looking at $12, prices includes Small Package Priority USPS shipping to Lower 48 states. That would at least give you something to start with.

Let me know.
weblacky
O2

Find Reply
05-15-2019, 10:51 PM
Use a linux box, and install minicom. Super easy.

[Image: Indigo2_IMP.png] Indigo 2 Impact10000 | Sun Microsystems: Ultra 24, Sunfire X4500
HP: Sprout, ProLiant ML350 G5 
Apple: tiBook g4, 17in powerbook g4, early '08 MBP

NoodlesMcPastaMan
O2

Threads: 3
Find Reply
05-16-2019, 06:14 PM