Octane Gigabit Network PCI cards
Octane Gigabit Network PCI cards
Henlo!

I want to upgrade my Octane2 with a gigabit ethernet card (got a shoehorn adapter) and just naively plugged a 3com 3C966B-T card in there, because I've read somewhere that they are somewhat comapible. Then I installed the hacked driver from futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/depot, but I can not see the card anywhere in IRIX.
Maybe I need another card with fitting drivers, but I only have very little money. Are those listed network cards in the "Octane Hardware Aggregator" the only ones?

I've also added a 80MB/s SCSI card the same way, which works fine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

55cancri
O2

Threads: 7
Find Reply
04-12-2019, 09:25 AM
RE: Octane Gigabit Network PCI cards
These 3Com cards were sold by several sellers and they changed the ID Code of them so you have to match the vendor string of the hacked driver.

I prefered the flash hack (I modded an 3Com card and an IBM double port one).

Unfortunately I only found instructions for the double port, but I think is a very similar way to do:

https://web.archive.org/web/201603190725...&p=7295721

Octane2  Indigo O2 O2  1600SW   1600SW  Fuel Indy
Titox
O2

Threads: 0
Find Reply
04-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Hmmm, It's not easy for me to unterstand this linked thread, but I am ready to try it out.

So I have to put the 3com 3c996B-T card in a PC and change an ID with ethtool, so IRIX thinks it is a SGI P/N 9210289 card. But which ID and to what number? How I puzzle the ethtool command together?
55cancri
O2

Threads: 7
Find Reply
04-12-2019, 06:12 PM
There was another post in Nekochan that explained de detailed command to do this. I was a lot of lines of ethtool commands in an script. But I'm not able to find it in the archive or in Nekomikon. I can't find it on my archives too.

Titox
O2

Find Reply
04-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Found: https://gainos.org/~elf/sgi/nekonomicon/...702/1.html

This are the instructions a followed to convert my card. Remember to install the original kernel driver.

Titox
O2

Find Reply
04-17-2019, 03:48 PM
(04-17-2019, 03:48 PM)Titox Wrote:  Found: https://gainos.org/~elf/sgi/nekonomicon/...702/1.html

This are the instructions a followed to convert my card. Remember to install the original kernel driver.

That recipe patches the PCI SVID:SDID but doesn't change a couple of other things. It works in IRIX (though I think the TG3 info utility can spot the difference), but fails the Broadcom diagnostics and there was something else (I forgot).

I have a different method, using Broadcom software and EEPROM data from genuine SGI cards. The result is a 100% valid clone (minus the MAC address which can be anything you want). I did a run of cards a couple of years ago for the Nekochan crowd. Never had any complaints. I can do other personalities too, like IBM p/n IBM-73P4219 or HP A6825-60101 which is maybe interesting for HP-UX fans.
jan-jaap
SGI Collector

Threads: 10
Website Find Reply
04-17-2019, 07:43 PM
(04-17-2019, 07:43 PM)jan-jaap Wrote:  
(04-17-2019, 03:48 PM)Titox Wrote:  Found: https://gainos.org/~elf/sgi/nekonomicon/...702/1.html

That recipe patches the PCI SVID:SDID but doesn't change a couple of other things. It works in IRIX (though I think the TG3 info utility can spot the difference), but fails the Broadcom diagnostics and there was something else (I forgot).

I have a different method, using Broadcom software and EEPROM data from genuine SGI cards. The result is a 100% valid clone (minus the MAC address which can be anything you want). I did a run of cards a couple of years ago for the Nekochan crowd. Never had any complaints. I can do other personalities too, like IBM p/n IBM-73P4219 or HP A6825-60101 which is maybe interesting for HP-UX fans.

I supose that you must have all ROMS ready to burn in the cards. Right?

I have SGI cards too, How I can read all the ROM?

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2019, 07:46 AM by Titox.)
Titox
O2

Find Reply
04-18-2019, 07:45 AM
(04-18-2019, 07:45 AM)Titox Wrote:  I supose that you must have all ROMS ready to burn in the cards. Right?

I have EEPROM images of various personalities of this card.

That Linux tool can read the entire EEPROM address range (it takes forever, but works). Beware that if you do a full copy you clone the MAC address too, and duplicate MAC addresses are a recipe for disaster. If you do a partial copy of the EEPROM you need to update the checksum or the diagnostics fail. If you accept that you may as well only change the PCI SVID:SDID. For a hobbyist with a card or two for his personal IRIX systems this is not a problem I guess.

The tool I use takes care of all of this and some other aspects. There is still occasional commercial interest in rebranded dual GBit cards so I keep the tool and the scripts I wrote to myself for now. Ian Mapleson will be happy to sell you rebranded cards.
jan-jaap
SGI Collector

Threads: 10
Website Find Reply
04-18-2019, 10:09 AM
(04-18-2019, 10:09 AM)jan-jaap Wrote:  
(04-18-2019, 07:45 AM)Titox Wrote:  I supose that you must have all ROMS ready to burn in the cards. Right?

I have EEPROM images of various personalities of this card.

That Linux tool can read the entire EEPROM address range (it takes forever, but works). Beware that if you do a full copy you clone the MAC address too, and duplicate MAC addresses are a recipe for disaster. If you do a partial copy of the EEPROM you need to update the checksum or the diagnostics fail. If you accept that you may as well only change the PCI SVID:SDID. For a hobbyist with a card or two for his personal IRIX systems this is not a problem I guess.

The tool I use takes care of all of this and some other aspects. There is still occasional commercial interest in rebranded dual GBit cards so I keep the tool and the scripts I wrote to myself for now. Ian Mapleson will be happy to sell you rebranded cards.
I'm not interested in your tools or to buy a new card as I have my needs fullfiled. Just want to know how to read my cards. I supose a need to do it using ethtool in the adecuate card addresses then.

Another project to do when I have time... or to my retirement... ;D

Titox
O2

Find Reply
04-18-2019, 10:57 AM