IRIX Network Forums

Full Version: Browsing the "Modern Web" on a Silicon Graphics machine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This video takes a quick look at browsing the "Modern Web" on a Silicon Graphics machine by comparing Mozilla to neko FireFox3.

(03-05-2019, 10:47 AM)Irinikus Wrote: [ -> ]This video takes a quick look at browsing the "Modern Web" on a Silicon Graphics machine by comparing Mozilla to neko FireFox3. 
 Try it on a 300Mhz O2....! Smile Zzzzz wait times.
(03-05-2019, 05:12 PM)JacquesT Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2019, 10:47 AM)Irinikus Wrote: [ -> ]This video takes a quick look at browsing the "Modern Web" on a Silicon Graphics machine by comparing Mozilla to neko FireFox3. 

Every O2 is slow for Firefox... I think that even the R4k Indigo2 is better for the Firefox than my 250MHz O2.  Sad
(03-05-2019, 06:03 PM)jirka Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2019, 05:12 PM)JacquesT Wrote: [ -> ]
Every O2 is slow for Firefox... I think that even the R4k Indigo2 is better for the Firefox than my 250MHz O2.  Sad

That's a pity! It probably has something to do with the CRM graphics system?
Youtube!! I wish!!
One thing I definitely would recommend for web browsing on any vintage system is the use of NoScript or another similar Javascript whitelist, where available.

Of course, I'd recommend that for modern web browsing, as well. You never quite realize just how bogged-down in pointless bullshit modern webpages are until it's all disabled.
CJ - agree, 98% of the web is just rubbish and advertising. That's a whole new thread!

I think the O2 was targeted at entry level content creation, it never had the grunt. I remember when I had my 400mhz O2 it was significantly slower that my 400mhz Octane.

If you look at Ian's benchmarks the O2 struggles, from recollection a 195mhz R10k Indigo2 trounces even a 250mhz O2. I think the 300mhz starts to catch up but I always think of the O2 system design as being targeted at entry level 2d gfx and texture/video apps. It was suppose to be the Indys replacement.

Irinikus - could you run the browser test on a 195mhz Indigo2 for comparison?
When I use my SGI systems, I prefer to let them do things they're good at so I have a good time. It's a hobby, after all. IMHO it's a waste of time to try to browse the current state of the www with FF3 on IRIX, and it's only going to get worse:

1. The shift towards HTTPS is real, but Firefox on IRIX only supports deprecated SSL protocols. It won't even connect, let alone render anything.

2. The frameworks and CMS systems people use (Wordpress runs 33% of the web these days) use JS and CSS3 to make sites scale across mobile and desktop (responsive design). None of that works properly on FF3.

3. And then there's the performance. CPUs did get faster the last 20 odd years, you know. And there's no JS bytecode JIT for IRIX like on x86/x64.

You may think it's all annoying and wrong, and spend your time tweaking which bits of JS you allow from a site and which not, but it's an uphill battle. I have better things to do with my time. And so do other I guess: I run a couple of sites, and some of those are aimed at MIPS/IRIX users. Even though it's technically possible, 0.0% of visitors access them from IRIX.
(03-06-2019, 09:07 AM)jan-jaap Wrote: [ -> ]When I use my SGI systems, I prefer to let them do things they're good at so I have a good time. It's a hobby, after all. IMHO it's a waste of time to try to browse the current state of the www with FF3 on IRIX, and it's only going to get worse:

1. The shift towards HTTPS is real, but Firefox on IRIX only supports deprecated SSL protocols. It won't even connect, let alone render anything.

2. The frameworks and CMS systems people use (Wordpress runs 33% of the web these days) use JS and CSS3 to make sites scale across mobile and desktop (responsive design). None of that works properly on FF3.

3. And then there's the performance. CPUs did get faster the last 20 odd years, you know. And there's no JS bytecode JIT for IRIX like on x86/x64.

You may think it's all annoying and wrong, and spend your time tweaking which bits of JS you allow from a site and which not, but it's an uphill battle. I have better things to do with my time. And so do other I guess: I run a couple of sites, and some of those are aimed at MIPS/IRIX users. Even though it's technically possible, 0.0% of visitors access them from IRIX.

I was visitor percentile 0.01% a while back on my Octane Wink
I have my Tezro linked to my Mac via a serial link as well as a NFS, so if I need any files for the Tezro, I generally use the Mac to surf the web and then just send them over to the Tezro via the NFS.

It works very well for me.

However it was fun to install FF3 and gauge its performance. (Just for educational purposes.)
Pages: 1 2