Rendering in Maya 6.5 (A simple speaker drive unit.)

Show off your artwork created on SGIs!
Intuition

Re: Rendering in Maya 6.5 (A simple speaker drive unit.)

Post by Intuition » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:53 pm

Wow, nice. Yeah this is more a modern lighting treatment. Are you using the Tezro for rendering?

Irinikus

Post by Irinikus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:37 am

Intuition wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:53 pm
Wow, nice. Yeah this is more a modern lighting treatment. Are you using the Tezro for rendering?
I am.

I will post the rendering using 8 rays later, it took just over an hour to render this morning before I went to work!

The image with 8 rays:

Driver_perspShape_tmp-3.jpg
It's slightly better than the one with 3 rays from a noise point of view, but still needs work in my opinion.
Last edited by Irinikus on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irinikus

Post by Irinikus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:52 am

Now here's a Tezro working at full throttle! (There's absolutely nothing to spare!)

IMG_3917.JPG

I'm now rendering at 8x sampling with a penumbra of 10 with 16 rays with a max ray depth of 8 and a light diameter of 0.2 with linear decay and an intensity of 10

Intuition

Post by Intuition » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:12 am

Hmm, an hour? Seems long for Tezro.

I don't have my SGI with me right now as I am doing wood work for a while. I feel like it should be 10 minutes at the most on a Tezro. But I often test with one light and maybe two or three raytraced lights are adding up quickly. If I had the Octane here I could test the render time. Maybe some optimizations can be made.

Looking nice tho

Irinikus

Post by Irinikus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:52 am

Intuition wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:12 am
Hmm, an hour? Seems long for Tezro.

I don't have my SGI with me right now as I am doing wood work for a while. I feel like it should be 10 minutes at the most on a Tezro. But I often test with one light and maybe two or three raytraced lights are adding up quickly. If I had the Octane here I could test the render time. Maybe some optimizations can be made.

Looking nice tho
You can see from the image that I posted up above, that it uses every ounce of the Tezro's CPU capability. (4x 1GHz with 16MB of "slow" cache per CPU!)

My current current rendering has probably been going for close to two hours and is only 3 quarters rendered!

I found in the past, that this happens with 3D Studio Max as well, often your rendering options can cause a model to take forever to render with little to no improvement to overall quality.

Here are the images together to allow for a qualitative comparison:

Shadow map:
Driver_perspShape_tmp-1.jpg

Raytraced with decay set to linear, 2 rays with 8X sampling:
Driver_perspShape_tmp.jpg

Raytraced with penumbra set to 10, light diameter set to 1, decay set to linear, 3 rays with 8X sampling:
Driver_perspShape_tmp-2.jpg

Raytraced with penumbra set to 10, light diameter set to 1, decay set to linear, 8 rays with 8X sampling:
Driver_perspShape_tmp-3.jpg

Raytraced with penumbra set to 10, light diameter set to 0.2, decay set to linear, 16 rays with a max ray depth of 8 with 8X sampling:
Driver_perspShape_tmp-4.jpg

Something that I've observed is that there is a loss of image quality when the images are saved as Jpegs!
Last edited by Irinikus on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Intuition

Post by Intuition » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Yeah it seems too long. I don't think my Octane would be that long to render that. I know Maya software is unforgiving with multiple lights though. You may want to try mental ray. It may be ooodles faster with 4 cpus but you'll need to set it up. I forget the old Maya software is painfully slow. BUT it still seems excessive especially on a Tezro with 4 cpus.

Mental Ray can uses same shaders / lights Maya software does

Then set

custom adaptive sampling min -1 max 1
triangle filter
anti-aliasing contrast ratio 0.25 to start.

Looking good though, but does seem too long for a Tezro. You aren't even using GI yet. I have had GI and multiple lights on my o2 not take an hour with soft shadows. You do have a complex item though, most of my test renders on SGI have been simple shapes except the displacement scene I had on Neko.

Irinikus

Post by Irinikus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:37 pm

Intuition wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:28 pm
Yeah it seems too long. I don't think my Octane would be that long to render that. I know Maya software is unforgiving with multiple lights though. You may want to try mental ray. It may be ooodles faster with 4 cpus but you'll need to set it up. I forget the old Maya software is painfully slow. BUT it still seems excessive especially on a Tezro with 4 cpus.

Mental Ray can uses same shaders / lights Maya software does

Then set

custom adaptive sampling min -1 max 1
triangle filter
anti-aliasing contrast ratio 0.25 to start.

Looking good though, but does seem too long for a Tezro. You aren't even using GI yet. I have had GI and multiple lights on my o2 not take an hour with soft shadows. You do have a complex item though, most of my test renders on SGI have been simple shapes except the displacement scene I had on Neko.
The latest rendition is still rendering, so I can't access the menus right now, just one question, can't you use an adaptive filter in Maya software?

In 3D Studio Max, I used to make use of their fast adaptive filter, and it worked wonders!

Irinikus

Post by Irinikus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:44 pm

I've solved the problem, rendering to Jpeg gave a crappy output!

This image was rendered with 3 rays and took jus over 10 min to render!

Driver_perspShape_tmp.png

Intuition

Post by Intuition » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Yeah that is the "custom" adaptive sampling and filters. It is how you can set the min max if I remember. I don't have it in front of me in SGI. Only modern Mayas 2016-2018.

I set the pixel filter to Triangle for sharpness. Or Guassian for smoothness

But, I can't remember if that is a Mental Ray feature or 3dsmax specific. I've used Mental Ray in Softimage, Maya, and Max and know that there are a few little options specific to each package. The filter should be in all three though.

EDIT----

Yeah ten minutes seems right for that. :D

OH, I just thought the original render was smooth and it was compressed for upload. Yes. jpg native gives compressed results.

Irinikus

Post by Irinikus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Intuition wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:51 pm
Yeah that is the "custom" adaptive sampling and filters. It is how you can set the min max if I remember. I don't have it in front of me in SGI. Only modern Mayas 2016-2018.

I set the pixel filter to Triangle for sharpness. Or Guassian for smoothness

But, I can't remember if that is a Mental Ray feature or 3dsmax specific. I've used Mental Ray in Softimage, Maya, and Max and know that there are a few little options specific to each package. The filter should be in all three though.

EDIT----

Yeah ten minutes seems right for that. :D

OH, I just thought the original render was smooth and it was compressed for upload. Yes. jpg native gives compressed results.
Thanks very much for the pointers, as they've really helped so far! :)