Bootstrapping Nekoware without Nekochan?

For discussion of the IRIX OS and the software ecosystem surrounding it, including troubleshooting.
commodorejohn

Bootstrapping Nekoware without Nekochan?

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 24, 2018 2:53 am

So I'm in the process of getting things loaded up on an Indigo2 I've had sitting around for a while and I'm at the point where I'm ready to get some packages from Nekoware loaded onto it. Fortunately, there's enough mirrors of the actual Nekoware FTP that having the original site gone is not a serious impediment...or so I thought. Problem is, every Nekoware package I download and try to load as a tardist in Software Manager depends on a couple (packagename).sw.eoe or whatever packages that aren't listed on the FTP itself. I don't know if this is a case of Software Manager not knowing what to do with Nekoware packages even though they're distributed in tardist format, or what. I remember when I was first setting up shop on my O2 there was a shell script that basically served as an IRIX counterpart to apt-get for Nekoware - but, while archive.org has the script itself, it requires curl or wget, which require Nekoware dependencies, which leaves me trying to pull this thing up by its own bootstraps...am I missing a step here? How do I actually get this thing set up from scratch on a fresh IRIX install?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Kilpatrick Phenol, Behringer Model D

mrthinlysliced

Re: Bootstrapping Nekoware without Nekochan?

Post by mrthinlysliced » Thu May 24, 2018 3:40 am

I had the same issue with some packages missing dependencies too. I had the "full" set of nekoware tardists (current + beta), so I pointed swmgr at the current dir, selected "customise install" and then resolved conflicts by removing the packages where the dependencies couldn't be met. I then did a second pass with the stuff in the "beta" dir with the same idea.

The bits I couldn't find dependencies of, well, I'm on a bit of a journey to "compile my own" for now.

For wget - I've got the nekoware one installed - it's the one from the "beta" subdirectory.

commodorejohn

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 24, 2018 4:47 am

Hmm...does the wget package in the beta directory support mips3?
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Kilpatrick Phenol, Behringer Model D

mrthinlysliced

Post by mrthinlysliced » Thu May 24, 2018 5:09 am

Doesn't look like it:

Code: Select all

[dan@leafy ~]$ which wget
/usr/nekoware/bin/wget
[dan@leafy ~]$ file `which wget`
/usr/nekoware/bin/wget:	ELF N32 MSB mips-4 dynamic executable MIPS - version 1
However, I see there is:

nekoware/dist/nekoware-mips3/current/neko_wget-1.10.1-mips3.tardist

but I guess that's the one you're having issues with?

commodorejohn

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 24, 2018 5:30 am

Yeah, the problem is that all the tardists seem to rely on packages that are either not on the FTP or that Software Manager only imagines to have ever existed in the first place, and I'm not really clear on which option is closer to the truth.

I may end up just having to try building curl or wget from source, but I just know it's going to bitch about SSL libraries or something...

dexter1

Post by dexter1 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 am

For neko_wget this is what i have in my build directory as a first approach, for MIPS3:

Code: Select all

setenv CC cc
  setenv MAKE /usr/nekoware/bin/gmake
  setenv CFLAGS "-O2 -mips3 -n32"
  setenv OPENSSL_CFLAGS "-I/usr/nekoware/include"
  setenv OPENSSL_LIBS "/usr/nekoware/lib"
  ./configure --prefix=/usr/nekoware --disable-rpath --with-ssl=openssl
a recent neko_openssl is built by Canavan (in beta/canavan) and myself (in dual-mips3-mips4) so i think you should be able to build wget without too much hassle.

commodorejohn

Post by commodorejohn » Thu May 24, 2018 10:48 pm

Okay! Fortunately, I didn't have to go that far - the nekodeps.pl installer script contains a provision for bootstrapping a system without wget, and after some finagling, it got me up and running. Turns out what was required was to:
  1. Run it in --config mode.
  2. Edit the resulting ./conf/nekodeps.conf file to point to live mirrors (and, in my case, the nekoware-mips3/current branch.)
  3. Create the ./conf/nekoware-mips3 folder, drop in a copy of descript.ion from the correct branch on the mirror, and rename it to current.ion instead.
  4. Run it in --bootstrap mode.
This got it to the point where it could download and install neko_wget, which got it to the point where it could download and install other packages, and we're off to the races.

Unfortunately, I can't do my customary "post the hinv from the machine itself" post, since these forums are HTTPS-only...

dexter1

Post by dexter1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:50 pm

For completeness, i have built a dual nekoware mips3 and mips4 build of wget, and have added a sw.static package with static linked binary so that it is possible to bootstrap nekoware without dependencies. It has become a bit big but i hope the added comfort should offset the size.

I'll include it with this post. Mind you that for installing the dynamic linked version of wget you need packages which i haven't uploaded yet, but for now the static binary seems to work fine, albeit without extra certificates.
neko_wget-1.19.4.tar