Pro's and Conns of Maya vs Blender, lightwave and SoftImage?

For discussion of the IRIX OS and the software ecosystem surrounding it, including troubleshooting.
Irinikus

Pro's and Conns of Maya vs Blender, lightwave and SoftImage?

Post by Irinikus » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:16 am

I'm busy playing around with Maya 6.5 on my Tezro and I have Blender installed on my Mac Pro, Maya definitely seems easier to use as far as I'm concerned.

What are your thoughts regarding Maya vs Blender, lightwave and SoftImage?

gijoe77

Re: Pro's and Conns of Maya vs Blender, lightwave and SoftImage?

Post by gijoe77 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:44 am

I'm no expert, but from what my understanding is no one really uses Blender for production work, lightwave was a nice toy, softimage had great animation tools, and Maya is still being used today.

I believe the pipeline for studio's back in the IRIX days used to be: model stuff in Alias PowerAnimator, animate in Softimage, render in Renderman. I'm not sure what the pipelines were when Maya came into the picture.

I personally started learning PowerAnimator first, moved on to Maya, will move on to Softimage next - I play with Lightwave now and then but after using PowerAnimator/Maya, Lightwave seems very unsophisticated and missing many (what I would consider basic) features, and I still can't seem to be able to source any good tutorials for Lightwave. I played with Blender a few times but it was just too strange to me, I am saving learning this one last, if ever, but If someone can give me a good reason why I should start learning the old IRIX version of Blender I would be interested to hear it.

computron

Post by computron » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm

-Blender, because it's pretty fast, render quality is very good, it had physics etc.....
and it support large SMP computer 256 threads if i correctly remember

-Maya is nice too, but to much slow and lack of many cpu render options....... no more than 2 or 4 cpu on my 32cpu Origin

Cheers

Laurent

def13

Post by def13 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Well I use Blender since 2004 and it's an incredible tool, but the logical of this sofware is really specific.

The first things to know about Blender are : shortcuts ! In 2004, I've spent one month to force me to learn shortcuts and when you come from 3D Studio (DOS), 3DS Max (NT4) or Cinema 4D (Mac OS / OSX), it's a hard thing to integrate to use a 3D software ... but not so much if you are a daily user of Photoshop or Illustrator. And suddenly, everything looks so easy and quick that you can't imagine working in 3D without shortcuts.
The second thing to know about Blender is : It's a LEGO box without plans !
In 2004, it was not easy to find tutorials for Blender (except on specifics forums). So you have to test things, and you try to convert other 3D's tutorials for Blender ... sometime it works, and sometime not ; so you have to find an other way to realize it. I've never learn so much in 3D than when I've learn using Blender.

So coming from Blender, Maya 6.5 looks easier to use ... these two softwares are really closer than I expected ! Actually, the harder things to learn are particules systems, the UV map editor and the hypershade panel. In fact in 2005/2006, lots of people admeted that Blender has got one of the best and easyway to use UV map's editor.

I've try Lighwave, it's a good software but I spent not enought time on it to really appreciate this tool.

I've never use Softimage, but the principal thing I know about it : "modelize it in Alias and animate it in Softimage" and everythings I read on it explained how Softimage was an incredible tool to animate your scenes and your models, but modelize and texturate wasn't a pleasure ...
Nevermind if SGI is dead ... In SGI I trust (^_^!)
:Octane: 1x400Mhz / 2Go Ram / V8 / Irix 6.5.26

vishnu

Post by vishnu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Really there's no comparison. Maya has been the world's largest commercial software application for what, ten years? Blender's disk space requirement is 20 meg, modern Maya's is 4 gig...
Project: Temporarily lost at sea
Plan: World domination! Or something...

def13

Post by def13 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am

@vishnu
Sorry, but Blender disc space is actually about 450Mo without any template, shader or texture ... what about modern Maya ?
Nevermind if SGI is dead ... In SGI I trust (^_^!)
:Octane: 1x400Mhz / 2Go Ram / V8 / Irix 6.5.26

vishnu

Post by vishnu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:26 pm

def13 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am
@vishnu
Sorry, but Blender disc space is actually about 450Mo without any template, shader or texture ... what about modern Maya ?
Yup, my mistake, that disk space requirement was for Blender 2.49 oops! Modern Maya would be the most recent release which I believe they are calling Maya 2019...
Project: Temporarily lost at sea
Plan: World domination! Or something...