Some questions about Alias software.

For discussion of the IRIX OS and the software ecosystem surrounding it, including troubleshooting.
kikems

Some questions about Alias software.

Post by kikems » Thu May 31, 2018 1:51 pm

I'm check my Alias Power Animator 9 and Alias 11 and 13 installations, and really I can't understand the difference between this packages. When run Alias 11 or 13 , at startup I can use the app in some different modes;
- Studio with this options; Advanced modeling or Advanced evaluation or Advanced design animation or direct model.
- Auto Studio.
- Surface Studio.
- Design Studio.

Aparently all options is the same program. Alias power animator 9 is the same that use Alias11 with Studio mode and Advanced design animation option ?
:O2: O2 R12k :Crimson: Iris Crimson Elan R4400 :Octane: Octane R10k

gijoe77

Re: Some questions about Alias software.

Post by gijoe77 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:29 pm

from what I understand Alias removed some animation tree's and some other features from PowerAnimator after 9.7 (although it was renamed to StudioTools at around 9.5 or 9.6). Autostudio is the one with all the extra bells and whistles and has all the options from the lower packages.

I forget the exact order in feature sets but I think it goes like this: Autostudio > surface > design > studio

There used to be little charts online but I wasn't able to find one just now

edit: just off the top of my head Autostudio has stuff like diagnostic shading, sketch render, particles, surface diagnostic (highs/lows - whatever that does).