Mount Irix CDROM on other OS

Got questions? We have answers!
tenox

Mount Irix CDROM on other OS

Post by tenox » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:14 am

Is there an easy way that I can mount IRIX CDROM on Linux, FreeBSD, Windows or Mac so that I can export it over NFS to my Irix machine?

I know that Linux does have support for SGI Label and XFS but looks like the first one is not enabled on stock kernels mostly. Any easy options?

dexter1

Re: Mount Irix CDROM on other OS

Post by dexter1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:51 am

The filesystem on IRIX CD-ROMs is EFS, not XFS or iso9660. Linux and netBSD have kernel drivers or userland programs that can mount these cd's.
In Linux you need to load module efs.o before mounting an IRIX cd or equivalent cd image.

jan-jaap

Post by jan-jaap » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:53 am

IRIX OS cds use a disklabel rather than a partition table, and the EFS filesystem. Most Linux distributions should support both out of the box.

Where it goes wrong is the block size, which must be 512bytes/block for EFS and is usually something else for non-SCSI drives. Linux can work around this if you use the 'loop' mount option, like this:

Code: Select all

# mount -o loop,ro -t efs /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
If you have something in your fstab to automount certain filesystem types (udf?), you can add efs to that and it will work for IRIX cds too.

kikems

Post by kikems » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:41 am

1- You need create a folder in you HD for virtual mount your iso . for example I create "mountiso" folder.
2- Copy you isos to your HD. I create a "cdisos" folder.
3- Enter terminal window.
for mount a iso : mount -t efs -o loop cdisos/my_cdiso_source.iso mountiso/
4- When you finish you can unmount your iso for liberate "mountiso" folder for mount the next iso.
for unmount actual iso : umount mountiso/

In different linux distributions this command line can be change a little. This comands work fine in my debian linux.
:O2: O2 R12k :Crimson: Iris Crimson Elan R4400 :Octane: Octane R10k