Troubles with doing a network install of IRIX

Got questions? We have answers!
glaurung

Troubles with doing a network install of IRIX

Post by glaurung » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:23 pm

I have a Linux box with the IRIX installation files on it, and with all the settings adjusted as per http://techpubs.spinlocksolutions.com/i ... linux.html

I connect it to the Indy via a spare router using known good LAN cables. I try to invoke the disk partitioning software. The Linux box sees incoming signals from the Indy's IP address, but it cannot send signals out to that IP address.

The log reads like so:

Code: Select all

Jun 23 14:49:44 server bootpd[4059]: recvd pkt from IP addr 192.168.0.13
Jun 23 14:49:44 server bootpd[4059]: bootptab mtime: Sat Jun 23 09:48:47 2018
Jun 23 14:49:44 server bootpd[4059]: request from IP addr 192.168.0.13
Jun 23 14:49:44 server bootpd[4059]: IP address not found: 192.168.0.13
Possibly related: the router sees the linux box's MAC address as a connected device. It does not see the Indy's MAC address at all.

I've tried this with the router running default firmware, running DD-WRT, and running Tomato. Same problem with each.

What the heck is wrong, and how do I fix it?

dexter1

Re: Troubles with doing a network install of IRIX

Post by dexter1 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:33 pm

Oh boy, where to start. First, make sure no firewall is running on either the router or linux server.

I also am guessing that the router has a couple of LAN ports which share the same network address range, like 192.168.0.x . So in effect the router does not have to "route" the packets form the Indy to the linux server and vice versa.

Then check all of the following requirements:
On linux server:
- echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc
- echo "2048 32767" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range
- bootp is running
- tftpd is running
- rshd is running (not needed for booting miniroot, but network installs require it)
- if you need network installs, install pdksh or mksh as the shell for the installer via rsh
- you have a valid /etc/bootptab with the Indy's MAC address
- /etc/hosts should have the indy listed with its correct ip-address
On indy:
- setenv netaddr 192.168.0.13 (if that is the designated indy ip address)
- bootp():fx.ARCS -x

Keep several terminals open to check logs with 'tail -f /var/log/syslog'
What are the messages form the indy when you attempt a bootp() ?

If you're pulling you hair out, there's always DINA here and here or check out my irix-install docker in the sig

JacquesT

Post by JacquesT » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:37 pm

...and also make sure your linux box is running a dns server.

I struggled for two days to get the spinlock setup to work, and even then I ended up tweaking settings as it would not work when I followed the instructions verbatim. I tweaked so many settings I wouldn't be able to say without doing it again what I changed. I will be setting it up again in the near future on my RaspPi.
:Octaneb: 1x 400Mhz R12k, 1Gb, V8, 6.5.30
:O2: 300Mhz R5200, 384Mb, 6.5.22m, FPA with :1600SW: [300Mhz R12k project in the works]

GRudolf94

Post by GRudolf94 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 am

Those of you struggling that happen to stumble upon this thread, I've found this (which of course was known of before, but since we are having to rebuild a whole knowledge database...):

https://github.com/halfmanhalftaco/irixboot
:Indigo2: R10k@195MHz/64MB RAM/XZ/ATX PSU conversion in the works/acting up
:Indy: R4600@133MHz/128MB RAM/XL-24/Gruesomely plasti-welded together
:Octane: R10k@225MHz/1536MB RAM/SSI

SGI Ultra64...erm, Nintendo64 console :D

and lotsa non-SGI stuff

twix

Post by twix » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:14 am

I tried dexters way of installing via a Docker app. Maybe I do not fully understand: is there supposed to be a Dockerfile? The build fails, while other docker apps seem to work fine.

dexter1

Post by dexter1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:35 pm

twix wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:14 am
I tried dexters way of installing via a Docker app. Maybe I do not fully understand: is there supposed to be a Dockerfile? The build fails, while other docker apps seem to work fine.
My docker irix-install is a prebuilt image, ready to deploy. There is a Dockerfile which builds the image but it's on my github.
Now i see that my instructions on the docker page are a bit confusing, since it also mentions a build from a Dockerfile (it is a copy of the github RST file, sorry :-( ). So i'll try to be a bit more clear:

1) First pull the docker image with:

$ docker pull dexter1/irix-install
2) After a bit of downloading, you should have a docker image:

$ docker images
REPOSITORY             TAG                      IMAGE ID            CREATED             SIZE
dexter1/irix-install   latest                   bdb247617ad7        9 months ago        157MB
3) Next thing is to prepare a bootptab, which has the MAC address of your SGI system at the 'ha=' field and the network address of your docker machine, in this case 192.168.0.1:

$ echo "iris:ha=080069c0ffee:sa=192.168.0.1:ds=192.168.0.1:rp=/DIST" > ~/bootptab
4) The last thing before running the docker image is to prepare the directory containing the installation CD's. I have copied the CD contents of all my IRIX installation media on a NAS which i mount on my docker machine using NFS. But you can also use a local copy of the IRIX 6.5.22 installation CD, if you need a miniroot to reset passwords or repair volume headers.

So suppose you have a /nfs/dist directory with all the installation media, and your SGI machine will have a static ip of 192.168.0.2 then...
5) Run the docker with:

docker run --sysctl net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range="2048 32767" \
             --sysctl net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc=1 \
             --network host \
             --add-host iris:192.168.0.2 \
             --volume /nfs/dist:/DIST:ro \
             --volume $HOME/bootptab:/etc/bootptab \
             -P \
             -it dexter1/irix-install
6) From there the recipe should be the same as on the Docker README:

When the container is running, set the 'netaddr' environment variable to the
'iris' ip in the PROM firmware of the SGI system and enter 'init'.
The system will reset and display the PROM menu.

Press '2' for 'Install System Software', select 'Remote Directory'.
For 'remote host' enter the hostname of the machine the docker runs on
For 'remote directory' enter the subdirectory from the $HOME/dist base where
the stand-alone shell (sa) is located.
I have changed the README to highlight what i wrote above, so this should be a bit more clear.

If this works for you, let me know. I will be on a holiday for quite a while, so i better fix it right now.

Toxiccameron

Post by Toxiccameron » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:01 pm

dexter1 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:35 pm

3) Next thing is to prepare a bootptab, which has the MAC address of your SGI system at the 'ha=' field and the network address of your docker machine, in this case 192.168.0.1:

$ echo "iris:ha=080069c0ffee:sa=192.168.0.1:ds=192.168.0.1:rp=/DIST" > ~/bootptab
When you say the network address of the docker machine do you mean the ip address the container gets or the ip address of the vm with docker? Also will this work with a 10.x.x.x network?

dexter1

Post by dexter1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:11 pm

It's the ip address of the machine you're running the docker on. The docker instance has the same ip address as the host, because you're running it with '--network host'

I didn't want to complicate matters by separating ip ranges between the docker and the server if it is not really necessary.
The SGI machine should be on the same subnet as the PC: I chose 192.168.0.1 for the PC running the docker and 192.168.0.2 for the SGI machine, but you can use any ip range and network, also 10.x.x.x

halfmanhalftaco

Post by halfmanhalftaco » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:24 pm

GRudolf94 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 am
Those of you struggling that happen to stumble upon this thread, I've found this (which of course was known of before, but since we are having to rebuild a whole knowledge database...):

https://github.com/halfmanhalftaco/irixboot
Thanks for the call-out! I'm biased but I think my solution is the least-effort solution to get a network install running, you don't have to mess with extracting SGI cd images manually and you only need to change about 6 or so lines of configuration in one file to run it. Also works good with multiple network interfaces since I try to keep my modern machines segregated from the retro ones that haven't seen patches in decades.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indy:

https://halfmanhalftaco.com/

thunderbird32

Post by thunderbird32 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:32 pm

halfmanhalftaco wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:24 pm
Thanks for the call-out! I'm biased but I think my solution is the least-effort solution to get a network install running, you don't have to mess with extracting SGI cd images manually and you only need to change about 6 or so lines of configuration in one file to run it. Also works good with multiple network interfaces since I try to keep my modern machines segregated from the retro ones that haven't seen patches in decades.
Thanks for making it available! I've got a Indy that could use an OS, and this should be just the ticket.
Digital Personal Workstation
Hewlett-Packard Visualize C3700 (HP-UX 11.11)
IBM RS/6000 7011-250 (AIX 4.3.3) | IBM RS/6000 7044-170 (AIX 5.3)
Silicon Graphics Indy R4600
Sun SPARCclassic (SunOS 4.1.4) | Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris 2.6) | Axil 311