Nekochan downtime discussion

For all off-topic forum topics
commodorejohn

Re: Nekochan down - panic

Post by commodorejohn » Fri May 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Hey, good to see you around! There's actually already a thread for this: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=74

TL;DR - nekonoko took the site down supposedly to figure out how to be GPDR compliant and has said he plans to bring the site back up at some point, but nobody's clear on when that will be or why he'd need to be GPDR compliant when he's US-based and it's all a little confusing.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Kilpatrick Phenol, Behringer Model D

Raion-Fox
Founder

Re: Nekochan downtime discussion

Post by Raion-Fox » Fri May 25, 2018 1:26 pm

I've merged the topics to ensure cleanliness of the forums.

MrBill we are definitely looking into hosting an archive of Nekochan ourselves but I do not believe it is right for me to ask Pete as I do not know him personally and I'm not sure if he would trust me enough with it.

However, I'm simply not optimistic. His decision to take t down has damaged community faith irreparably and that's why I have had this site developed, to break up the walled garden of Nekochan and ensure the greybeards of old aren't holding the community back. There were a multitude of issues with Nekochan and that is why we have stepped in.
I'm the manager

Besides irix.cc, I run these sites:

projectkitsune.com

kazuo.io

kokoboi

Post by kokoboi » Fri May 25, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm already downloading forums.nekochan.net from archive.org, but it is *veryyyyy* slow and I have no idea how to parse/import the data into something useful.

May be it's time for a new beginning.

mgtremaine

Post by mgtremaine » Fri May 25, 2018 2:14 pm

I have perl forum scrapper blob to phpBB, I've done for a few people before. Let's see where we get after some downtime, I can cough it up as needed.

-Mike

Krokodil

Post by Krokodil » Fri May 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Some people over at Nekochan, just needed to go. Mainly due to toxic attitude/behavior.

I do feel that it's a very positive development that we can actually share software for a change. That stuff just isn't easy to find, even on Ebay. My IRIX 6.5.30 came from a torrent, because I'm not paying $600-$900 USD for a set of aging CD's.
:Octane2c: :Indigo2_IMP: :Octane: :O2:

thunderbird32

Post by thunderbird32 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Krokodil wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:00 pm
Some people over at Nekochan, just needed to go. Mainly due to toxic attitude/behavior.

I do feel that it's a very positive development that we can actually share software for a change. That stuff just isn't easy to find, even on Ebay. My IRIX 6.5.30 came from a torrent, because I'm not paying $600-$900 USD for a set of aging CD's.
I'd take a look at getting an account on BetaArchive. They don't have 6.5.30 (they max out at 6.5.29), but the do have the majority of older versions of IRIX. Here's a list of what their FTP has.They've also got Tru64, HP-UX, SunOS, Solaris, AIX, etc. Some software for those too. It's a private FTP though, and you need to upload something they don't already have before they'll let you download. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a contributor to the site. Mostly of UNIX and OS/2 software. How they've managed to get by without any DMCA take-downs (that I'm aware of), is anybody's guess.
Digital Personal Workstation
Hewlett-Packard Visualize C3700 (HP-UX 11.11)
IBM RS/6000 7011-250 (AIX 4.3.3) | IBM RS/6000 7044-170 (AIX 5.3)
Silicon Graphics Indy R4600
Sun SPARCclassic (SunOS 4.1.4) | Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris 2.6) | Axil 311

vishnu

Post by vishnu » Thu May 31, 2018 12:35 am

Just in terms of IRIX, there's a guy on ebay who's been selling 6.5.30 pre-loaded onto various sized SCSI disks for at least the last 10 years. So when it comes to IRIX I think that means it's fairly safe to say nobody cares. If anyone needs 6.5.30 for free, PM me. If the tattered remnants of the once mighty SGI want to DMCA me, bring 'em on! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneakin' around... :lol:
Project: Temporarily lost at sea
Plan: World domination! Or something...

Raion-Fox
Founder

Post by Raion-Fox » Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 am

vishnu wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:35 am
Just in terms of IRIX, there's a guy on ebay who's been selling 6.5.30 pre-loaded onto various sized SCSI disks for at least the last 10 years. So when it comes to IRIX I think that means it's fairly safe to say nobody cares. If anyone needs 6.5.30 for free, PM me. If the tattered remnants of the once mighty SGI want to DMCA me, bring 'em on! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneakin' around... :lol:
I'll add it eventually, just don't want to take chances while we're potentially vulnerable.
I'm the manager

Besides irix.cc, I run these sites:

projectkitsune.com

kazuo.io

vishnu

Post by vishnu » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:36 am

Raion-Fox wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 am
vishnu wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:35 am
I'll add it eventually, just don't want to take chances while we're potentially vulnerable.
I'm going to put it on the webserver that's running in my basement, hopefully within the next day or so, then anyone who wants it can grab it from there... :)
Project: Temporarily lost at sea
Plan: World domination! Or something...