General Chit-Chat Thread

For all off-topic forum topics
Raion-Fox
Founder

Re: General Chit-Chat Thread

Post by Raion-Fox » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Indeed. And I have Portuguese cousins who fought in the war of Angola for the Portuguese army. While both me and them believe colonialism is overall not good, they did not want Angola to fall to Communism, as the Soviets were backing the civil war.
I'm the manager

Besides irix.cc, I run these sites:

projectkitsune.com

kazuo.io

Irinikus

Post by Irinikus » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:16 am

The interesting thing about South Africa today, is that we are probably the society with the largest gap between the rich and the poor in the world. (the two extremes)

I don't believe that all is lost, but we seriously have to deal with the fact that the ratio of educated to uneducated and thus the ratio of haves to have not's puts us on a rather slippery slope at the moment. (The uneducated, simply don't understand the concept of the fact that you need to work to get somewhere in this world, and as a result, they simply demand handouts.)

They simply don't understand the concept that nothing is for free. (When someone gets something for "free", someone else is always having to pay for it)

There are some really poor people living in the US, for example, but they are the minority and thus the society is able to function reasonably well.

I really hope that we are able to overcome our problems, as I would really hate to have to leave, as this country has great potential, we just need to realise it.

The main thing that makes any country great is it's military might, and unfortunately in the South African context, the government has not payed the relevant amount of attention to our military for years, and as a result we are loosing skilled people at a alarming rate.

Many of my colleagues have left for Saudi Arabia as they are being paid $20000 (starting salary) a month for their services as flight instructors. I personally would never want to give flying instruction in 50 degree heat (centigrade) or have to live according to their rules for any amount of money! (After all money its't everything)

It's becoming so bad, that the South African Air Force is currently trying to radically reduce the number of pilot's going to the Central Flying School to give instruction, as we give instruction on the Pilatus PC-7 MKII, and this opens up job opportunities all over the world as flying instructors (Saudi Arabia, Amman, Ireland and Australia for example). They are going to have to come up with a good offer in order to keep their experienced personal. (they obviously can't match what the Saudis are offering)

The purpose of a state is simply to for it's inhabitants security, nothing else. (infrastructure, running water and electricity form part of security) Thereby providing a secure platform for the commercial sector to operate on, thereby providing it's inhabitants with work. It's therefore not the government's job or responsibility to create jobs for the countries inhabitants. (Any government that promises to directly create jobs is lying, as it's simply beyond their scope to do so directly.)

We will only receive the necessary foreign investment in our economy if our military might is increased significantly. (foreign investors want to know that their investments are secure.)

Silicon Classics

Post by Silicon Classics » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:54 am

Irinikus, I agree with most of what you're saying, but damn if I would be able to resist a $20,000 per month salary in Saudi Arabia. Put up with the heat and the culture for a couple of years and you can leave with enough to buy a house, start a business, or retire in a locale with a low cost of living. If things in South Africa are getting as bad as you say, doesn't it make sense to make the leap while you still can?
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Irinikus

Post by Irinikus » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:52 am

Silicon Classics wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:54 am
Irinikus, I agree with most of what you're saying, but damn if I would be able to resist a $20,000 per month salary in Saudi Arabia. Put up with the heat and the culture for a couple of years and you can leave with enough to buy a house, start a business, or retire in a locale with a low cost of living. If things in South Africa are getting as bad as you say, doesn't it make sense to make the leap while you still can?

I have served most of my military career as an Oryx Helicopter pilot. It was awesome to fly such a machine, but at some point you have to move on and work towards accomplishing your career goals.

Once I finished my tour of giving ab initio instruction at the Central Flying School, I was lucky enough to be able to convince the Air Force to give me a line change to the Transport Line. My personal goal is to get a post at our VIP transport squadron and be trained up on Falcon Jets and the Boeing Business Jet.

I am qualified enough at the moment to get a job flying medium lift helicopters off oil rigs, but thats not what I want to do for a living. (The pay is extremely good, but it's contract work and you are away from home for very long periods of time)

As far as my future carrier goes, I would like to get into the Corporate Jet market, and going to Saudi at this point in time won't help me get there, as they fly the Pilatus PC-21, which although it is a really cool little aircraft, it's a single engine turboprop and what I need is jet time.

Funny enough, most decent jobs available in Corporate Jet market pay between $15000 to $20000 per month anyway and I would prefer the comfort associated with this kind of job.

I absolutely don't want an airline job, that's for sure! (Why fly a "Greyhound Bus" when you can fly a little "Ferrari".) Don't get me wrong, a Greyhound bus is a good bus, but it's still a bus! :)

Raion-Fox
Founder

Post by Raion-Fox » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:48 pm

Got myself a new job. Sysadmin related. Until the 5th its a holiday for me.
I'm the manager

projectkitsune.com

kazuo.io

uunix

Post by uunix » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 am

Talking of spiders.. which we weren't but were, I got to work the other day, hung up my jacket and really big spider climbed out the jacket hood... eeeek!!! oh when I say big btw, I don't mean on an Australian scale..
Hey Ho Pip And Dandy!!!!!
:Onyx2: :O2K_d-1: :O200: :tezro: :Octane2c: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy: :320:

Silicon Classics

Post by Silicon Classics » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:38 am

Raion-Fox wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:48 pm
Congratulations! Should be a nice bump in salary, and it will probably be much easier to browse Reddit & eBay at work now ;)

I snagged a cheap parts xw8400 from eBay Canada yesterday - paid $30 for the system and $80 for shipping. It has the plastic base and floppy drive assembly, plus hopefully a cleaner top panel and some other bits I need. Now I just need to buy storage and it will be good to go. Just in time, because my ThinkPad is regularly locking up at this point.

uunix

Post by uunix » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:48 pm
Congrats Chap, what's the details? What are you looking after?
Hey Ho Pip And Dandy!!!!!
:Onyx2: :O2K_d-1: :O200: :tezro: :Octane2c: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy: :320:

Raion-Fox
Founder

Post by Raion-Fox » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:07 pm

uunix wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm
Congrats Chap, what's the details? What are you looking after?
Webhosting. Cloudlinux servers with cpanel and the like. Not anything novel, but it pays very well.
I'm the manager

projectkitsune.com

kazuo.io

Silicon Classics

Post by Silicon Classics » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:26 pm

I just watched the latest 8-bit Guy unboxing video and caught your contribution - very nice! Was that something you found via the pawn shop?