Latest purchase?

For all off-topic forum topics
uunix

Re: Latest purchase?

Post by uunix » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:05 am

jan-jaap wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 am
"red" memory is 512MB per kit (of 2 DIMMs)
"silver" memory is 256MB per kit (of 2 DIMMs)
everything else is ... not too interesting.

There's a monster PDF describing the O2K/Onyx2 series which probably has this info: https://archive.org/details/Origin2k_Hardware_Guide
NB: if that's the "quick ref booklet" I'd like to know what the in-depth booklet looks like ;)
Thanks Jan, and yes.. rather in-depth book for a quick guide.
Hey Ho Pip And Dandy!!!!!
:Onyx2: :O2K_d-1: :O200: :tezro: :Octane2c: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy: :320:

jirka

Post by jirka » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:29 pm

I am probably posting from moose, SGI O2 with R10k/250, 1GB RAM, and running IRIX 6.5.27
:O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo2_IMP: :Octane:

55cancri

Post by 55cancri » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Since half a year I could not use a keyboard on my new DEC 3000/600. I tried two LK401 keyboards, both only produced character garbage, could not type a single word, some keys printed the same character and so on ... I saw no reason why it should not work and even have thrown the first keyboard in the trash, because it seemed like every one on the world used their LK401s happily with their DEC 3000s and absolute no information about a problem like that could be found on the internet or the manual ...
... only a small hint in a OpenVMS FAQ ... some keyboards have problems with some DEC 3000 firmware (SRM?) versions. So I bought a third keyboard, a dirty old LK201 from 1984 (!) and it finally finally worked. I am happy now!

dexter1

Post by dexter1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:14 pm

One of my companions for the upcoming holidays and holinights.
NatureTrek.jpg
10x50 BAK4 roofprism. The Manfrotto i bought earlier.
This should be lightweight enough, yet useful for day and night observations.

55cancri

Post by 55cancri » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:40 am

55cancri wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:55 pm
Since half a year I could not use a keyboard on my new DEC 3000/600. I tried two LK401 keyboards, both only produced character garbage, could not type a single word, some keys printed the same character and so on ... I saw no reason why it should not work and even have thrown the first keyboard in the trash, because it seemed like every one on the world used their LK401s happily with their DEC 3000s and absolute no information about a problem like that could be found on the internet or the manual ...
... only a small hint in a OpenVMS FAQ ... some keyboards have problems with some DEC 3000 firmware (SRM?) versions. So I bought a third keyboard, a dirty old LK201 from 1984 (!) and it finally finally worked. I am happy now!
Now the new LK201 does the same error -__- it just worked the first time. Is there a SRM variable that causes this? can I somehow reset the NVRAM?

I remember that it failed the "NVR - CHECK_BATTERY TEST" at the boot screens that one time it worked. Then I pulled out the RTC-Chip from the board, turned on the machine and I could type again!!!
I could not get far, because of errors, but I could type ... like it is the most normal thing in the world! So, what can I do now? Buy a new DS1287?

CB_HK

Post by CB_HK » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:44 pm

55cancri wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:40 am
55cancri wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:55 pm
Now the new LK201 does the same error -__- it just worked the first time. Is there a SRM variable that causes this? can I somehow reset the NVRAM?

I remember that it failed the "NVR - CHECK_BATTERY TEST" at the boot screens that one time it worked. Then I pulled out the RTC-Chip from the board, turned on the machine and I could type again!!!
I could not get far, because of errors, but I could type ... like it is the most normal thing in the world! So, what can I do now? Buy a new DS1287?
If it is the Dallas chip you'll most likely need to mod the one you have to accept an external battery. The weakness of the chip is that not only is the battery sealed inside (as you already know), but it's next to impossible to find a new one. Even if you did, new is relative and the battery may already be depleted.

There are a number of guides posted on the internet about having to modify the chips. It's fairly straightforward and involves using a dremel to make a cut into two pin locations to separate the internal battery and then solder the connection to the external battery holder (CR2032) to those cut pin locations. Overall it's not terribly complex, just tedious. It's something that I've looked into for my GRiD 1520 since they also rely on Dallas RTC.
:Indigo2: R10K | Solid IMPACT
:Indigo: R3K | Entry Graphics (LG2)
:Crimson: R4K | Elan Graphics

55cancri

Post by 55cancri » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:09 pm

CB_HK wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:44 pm
If it is the Dallas chip you'll most likely need to mod the one you have to accept an external battery. The weakness of the chip is that not only is the battery sealed inside (as you already know), but it's next to impossible to find a new one. Even if you did, new is relative and the battery may already be depleted.

There are a number of guides posted on the internet about having to modify the chips. It's fairly straightforward and involves using a dremel to make a cut into two pin locations to separate the internal battery and then solder the connection to the external battery holder (CR2032) to those cut pin locations. Overall it's not terribly complex, just tedious. It's something that I've looked into for my GRiD 1520 since they also rely on Dallas RTC.
Ok, but the problem is not that the Computer is forgetting its time and ethernet-adress. Everytime the computer thinks the NVRAM is okay, my keyboard refuses to work and when it is complaining or I just pull the RTC out of the socket it works. What is this? I am so frustrated ...
... I just don't see the connection, but soldering a new battery in is the last thing I can do ... but how can that fix the keyboard problem?

CB_HK

Post by CB_HK » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:43 pm

55cancri wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:09 pm
Ok, but the problem is not that the Computer is forgetting its time and ethernet-adress. Everytime the computer thinks the NVRAM is okay, my keyboard refuses to work and when it is complaining or I just pull the RTC out of the socket it works. What is this? I am so frustrated ...
... I just don't see the connection, but soldering a new battery in is the last thing I can do ... but how can that fix the keyboard problem?
I wonder if there's an issue with the RS423 port. I'm not overly familiar with DEC computers, but the fact that those two types of keyboards require a fixed baud rate of 4800 leads me to believe that perhaps the garbage data the keyboard produces sometimes is an incorrect baud rate setting sneaking in somehow. Perhaps when you pull the RTC the baud rate issue is corrected temporarily.

Again, I have no experience directly with DECs, but if I had to guess where to look at this point, that would be next place. Hope that helps somewhat.
:Indigo2: R10K | Solid IMPACT
:Indigo: R3K | Entry Graphics (LG2)
:Crimson: R4K | Elan Graphics

LarBob

Post by LarBob » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:05 am

Latest purchases:
An O2 and an Origin 300 around the same time. Can't wait to receive them!
(Thanks for selling me the O2, Raion-Fox :D)
:Octane: Aezora - Octane - 2xR10k 250 MHz - SI Graphics - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30f
:O2: Kiki - O2 - R5k 180 MHz - 192 MB RAM - Currently dead
:O3x0-2: Calcifer - Origin 300 - 4xR14k 500 MHz - 2 GB RAM - 6.5.30m
:O3x0-2: Tohru - Origin 350 - 4xR16k 800 MHz - 4 GB RAM - 6.5.30m - on loan from Raion
Mirrors

Trippynet

Post by Trippynet » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 am

Not a purchase as such, but acquired (for free) an old HP Z400 workstation from work for my dad as the motherboard in his old PC has given up the ghost. Not too bad a spec actually:

Xeon W3565 quad core 3.2GHz (based on 2nd Gen Core i7)
16GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia Quadro graphics, can't remember the model number
1x 500GB drive, 2x 1TB drives

Should do him nicely enough!
:Indigo2_IMP: R10000 195MHz, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT, 36GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuelb: R14000 600MHz, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:O2: in storage...