Name projects you care about

For all off-topic forum topics
Raion-Fox
Founder

Name projects you care about

Post by Raion-Fox » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Besides us of course <3.

I personally care about the four main BSDs, illumos/OpenIndiana, and Devuan in the OS arena.

In terms of other projects, I really am passionate about include Lumina desktop environment, the OpenVMS hobbyist scene and the AROS project.
I'm the manager

Besides irix.cc, I run these sites:

projectkitsune.com

kazuo.io

commodorejohn

Re: Name projects you care about

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Devuan and any other *nixen free from the systemd taint are definitely crucial in these dark times.

There's a part of me that still holds out faint hopes that some day Haiku might finally get back on track, but the fallout from the walled-garden repository zealots taking over was nasty (nasty as in "the maintainer of the primary Haiku/BeOS software archive on the Internet up and nuked his site in protest,") and it's been just this side of dead ever since, so that's probably a bit pie-in-the-sky.

ReactOS is another project I'd really love to see come to fruition, but don't have any realistic hopes for.

What I really wish was that there was a decent open laptop project I could get invested in; I'd kill for something with well-supported modern guts in a chassis designed for usability rather than chic thinness and a decent aspect ratio.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Kilpatrick Phenol, Behringer Model D

Krokodil

Post by Krokodil » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:57 pm

BSD's. Free/Open/Net/Dragonfly.

OpenVMS hobbyist program. Since I have an AlphaserverStation under my charge. :)

OpenIndiana.

Icaros(derivative of AROS). Although the guy who runs the project got salty with me, for pointing out a bug in the shell that froze the system solid and said something along the lines of, well you shouldn't do that anyways... LOL. Not a very encouraging sign.

ReactOS - If they can ever get it together.

Non OS - Related projects

Titanic: Honor and Glory - A game involving the entire Titanic recreated in Unreal4 and where you will play as a man trying to clear his name for a crime he didn't commit. Something like Adventure Out Of Time. The current progress is very promising. If it succeeds, it will rock the foundations of the gaming industry. Currently crowd funded, but seeking an investor.
:Octane2c: :Indigo2_IMP: :Octane: :O2:

vishnu

Post by vishnu » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:20 am

I was a big proponent of the X Window System until they f-ing deprecated both Xlib and Xt... :(
Project: Temporarily lost at sea
Plan: World domination! Or something...