What makes a good machine?

For all off-topic forum topics
johnnym

What makes a good machine?

Post by johnnym » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 pm

The title of the topic says it all:

What makes a good machine (computer!) in your eyes? What features are a must have and why? And what machine(s) do you consider (a) good machine(s)?

For me the following things come to my mind right now:
  • supports serial console down to the firmware level
    Because I want to be able to control it remotely without the need for a glass console, so actually a net console would also be OK for me. A combination of both, e.g. like Sun ALOM would be even better.
  • netboots out of the box
    Because I want to be able to use my machines diskless (no on-disk FS support needed in boot loader (avoids a lot of possible problems!), no need for old disk or disc or floppy disk or tape drives and respective media)
  • remote control (power on, power off, reset and such things)
    Because I don't want to manually control my machines but via software, especially if they're installed far away from my lab. I also consider "automatic power on after power loss" or the existence of a real power switch that can activate the machine a sort of remote control.
A few examples for good machines in my eyes:
  • SGI Origin 200
  • SGI Octane(2)
  • Sun Enterprise 3500 and similar
  • Sun SunFire V240 and similar
  • HP c8000
  • HP rp3440 and similar
  • HP AlphaServer DS25 and similar
:Indigo: :Indy: :Indigo2_IMP: :O2: :Octane: :Octane2c: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: = :O200:

Irinikus

Re: What makes a good machine?

Post by Irinikus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:43 am

For me, it depends on the context.

As far as a daily driver goes, it must be compact, silent, powerful and energy efficient and must not run MicroSoft Windows. (It must just work when I power it up!)

Form a hobbyest point of view, it must be interesting in terms of it's architecture and absolutely must be graphics capable, with the most interesting graphical hardware possible. (The only non-graphical machines that interest me are the original Cray machines that Seymour Cray designed.)

It must also have lots interesting period specific software available for its original operating system. (This is unfortunately where digital and SUN fall flat in my opinion, even tough their hardware is interesting.)

theinonen

Post by theinonen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:05 am

Irinikus wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:43 am
As far as a daily driver goes, it must be compact, silent, powerful and energy efficient and must not run MicroSoft Windows. (It must just work when I power it up!)
As a daily driver Windows is actually the best choice for a operating system. There is largest selection of software available for it and also generally has the best versions of them. Direct 3D will run rings around OpenGL, for example with my mid-level Nvidia gaming card Metasequoia rotates same model over 300 FPS on screen that OpenGL only manages about 10-15 FPS. Direct3D option also has more features and looks better on screen. Windows is not really my favourite operating system but it will not matter, when is only used to run the software I need. Personally I like the user interface of RISC OS and it has lots of great software, but there are also some things that are not really possible or practical with it.

Generally speaking I am having lot more fun nowdays with old 8-bit systems than with the more modern and powerful systems. Sometimes less is more and limitations also make computers more interesting and fun to use. So what makes a good machine? For me it will be the fun factor and otherwise machine is only as good as the software it has available.

Trippynet

Post by Trippynet » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:54 am

For me, it has to be a system running an OS that I feel in control of, and that I can depend on. Having a decent software library is also very important. IRIX for me doesn't make the cut as a daily driver due to lack of software and the age of the associated hardware - my SGIs are just for hobby use. I'm currently happy with my main PC - Ryzen 7 1700X system running Windows 7. It's quiet, fast, energy efficient and as it doesn't run Windows 10, I have full control over when updates are installed, when to reboot it, etc.

I do run Linux on my NUC, and for all the positives of it, there's still a lot of irritating niggles even for a modern and well-supported distro (currently running Ubuntu LTS on it).
:Indigo2_IMP: R10000 195MHz, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT, 36GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuelb: R14000 600MHz, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:O2: in storage...

gijoe77

Post by gijoe77 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:23 am

Trippynet wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:54 am
IRIX for me doesn't make the cut as a daily driver due to lack of software and the age of the associated hardware
For me it really just comes down to us not having a recent browser, if we could address that I would be perfectly fine with running IRIX as a primary desktop OS again for most stuff