Fuel HDD Replacement

For discussion of triage and repairs to SGIs as well as general hardware questions
gsruff

Fuel HDD Replacement

Post by gsruff » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi folks,

I have a Fuel whose HDD is making an intermittent whining noise. I couldn't listen to it anymore, so I purchased this Fujitsu drive and this SCA 80 pin to 68 pin adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fujitsu-MB ... 2749.l2648
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCA-to-U320-SC ... 2749.l2648

The new drive is not showing up in the hinv output in Command Monitor, but it does spin up when I boot the system.

So far, I have attempted, one at a time, the following jumper configurations on the adapter:
  • Setting a jumper on ID1
  • Setting a jumper on ID0
  • Setting jumpers on ID1 and DLY
  • Setting jumpers on ID1 and MTR
  • Setting jumpers on ID1 and SYN
Does anyone have any other suggestions, or do Fuels just not like SCSI adapters? I'd just like to get my system working again a (little) more quietly than it was. Thanks for the help!

Trippynet

Re: Fuel HDD Replacement

Post by Trippynet » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:58 am

Nothing wrong with those adapters in principle, I have two like that in my Fuel - although I do recall Ian Mapleson has come across some in his time that are incorrectly wired up and hence don't work properly.

What other SCSI devices do you have in your machine? The only jumpers that should be required are those to set an available SCSI ID for the drive.
:Indigo2_IMP: R10000 195MHz, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT, 36GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuelb: R14000 600MHz, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:O2: in storage...

gsruff

Re: Fuel HDD Replacement

Post by gsruff » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 pm

I was in the process of logging the boot messages and hinv -v output both with the new drive and with the original drive when I found that the old drive wasn't being recognized anymore. I checked the SCSI cable connection to the motherboard and, sure enough, it was not completely connected. Reconnected the cable properly and both the old drive and the new are recognized correctly.

Pretty embarrassing that it was that simple, but I'm glad it's solved. Thanks for the help.