Octane Personal Video interfering with graphics sync

For discussion of triage and repairs to SGIs as well as general hardware questions
halfmanhalftaco

Octane Personal Video interfering with graphics sync

Post by halfmanhalftaco » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:27 pm

I have an Octane with an SE graphics card mated to a PVO card. Before installing the PVO software/drivers, I can use several displays I have handy (LCDs) with the default 1280x1024_60 mode. I'm using a 13W3 to VGA cable with dip switches in the "SGI Sync on Green" mode.

After installing the PVO software/drivers, once I'm past the PROM power-on test screen, the display goes black, but they aren't indicating "signal lost" or anything, so it is still outputting video, it just doesn't seem to be able to sync to it. Stopping and then restarting videod will cause the displays to sync for about 2-5 seconds, then go dark again.

Switching the 13W3->VGA cable into HV sync mode works on one of my displays, but the main one I usually use my SGIs with (a LG 19" 4:3 LCD) is not happy with SOG + HV sync, it shows everything really washed out.

Has anyone run into this problem before, and are there any configuration options/tweaks I can do to improve the situation? I realize I could probably get/build a sync stripper to take SOG out but it seems like I may be doing something else wrong.

Here's the output of gfxinfo:

Code: Select all

Graphics board 0 is "IMPACTSR" graphics.
        Managed (":0.0") 1280x1024 
        Product ID 0x2, 1 GE, 1 RE, 0 TRAMs
        MGRAS revision 4, RA revision 0
        HQ rev B, GE12 rev A, RE4 rev C, PP1 rev E, 
        VC3 rev A, CMAP rev E, Heart rev E
        unknown, assuming 19" monitor (id 0xf)
        Video board present

Channel 0:
         Origin = (0,0)
         Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 60.00Hz (1280x1024_60)
Thanks!
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indy:

https://halfmanhalftaco.com/

vishnu

Re: Octane Personal Video interfering with graphics sync

Post by vishnu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 am

So both your flatscreens work as advertised without the PVO installed on your Octane? Think you could work around it with a custom VFO file? If anyone's got Michael Pastras' custom VFO file creation guide, could you put it somewhere downloadable and reply with a link to it? The topic has been brought up here: http://irix.pw/viewtopic.php?t=16
Project: Temporarily lost at sea
Plan: World domination! Or something...

halfmanhalftaco

Re: Octane Personal Video interfering with graphics sync

Post by halfmanhalftaco » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:19 am

Yeah, both LCDs work just fine with the normal SOG signal without the PVO card (and on all my other SGIs that do not have PVO cards), and even work normally with the PVO card installed, just without the driver software installed. Once I install the driver software it all goes south.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indy:

https://halfmanhalftaco.com/