Cleaning up an Indigo

For discussion of triage and repairs to SGIs as well as general hardware questions
CB_HK

Cleaning up an Indigo

Post by CB_HK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:31 am

So I recently managed to snag an Indigo off of eBay (the listing for which Fascia posted about in the hardware section). It arrived today and so I set about cleaning it up and seeing what kind of condition the system was in. The seller didn't mention any specs outside of the model number so I knew it was going to be a surprise. Regardless, it's an entry level system with an R3000 processor, a 16MB RAM kit installed, and the full-size PCB entry graphics. The one cool thing about it, though, is the Floptical drive. The battery is dead, so I'll be looking at soldering in a replacement holder for CR2032s a la jan-jaap. The plastics were a bit rough but I used Irinikus' method of Meguair's Ultimate Compound for polishing away the scratches and ended up with a pretty clean case that only shows wear up close. I'll need to pick up the PS/2 adapter so I can hook up my non-Indigo mouse and keyboard in addition to doing the battery mod before I can see what's on the disk but at least it boots far enough to tell me it can't set the clock. I'll post an update once I get things going!

:Indigo2: R10K | Solid IMPACT
:Indigo: R3K | Entry Graphics (LG2)
:Crimson: R4K | Elan Graphics

Irinikus

Re: Cleaning up an Indigo

Post by Irinikus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:29 am

Very nice! (An absolute classic!)

I'm happy to hear that you were able to clean it up!

CB_HK

Post by CB_HK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:39 am

Thank you! I was really happy to see that technique of yours worked so well!

CB_HK

Post by CB_HK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:52 am

Quick update: The bottom of the case was missing one of the blue rubber feet. So off to TinkerCAD, and a bit of NinjaFlex rubber and my 3D printer and voila, a replacement foot!

Closeup:

jan-jaap

Post by jan-jaap » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:03 am

Super nice! I've got an Indy who's feet are going 'snotty'. Unfortunately, my printer (Ultimaker 2) won't do flexible material :(

dexter1

Post by dexter1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:56 pm

Nice work on those feet.
I've dealt with the snotty rubber feet situation before and came up with replacement feet made of leather from a patch I saved. It resists slip and heat quite well. Add double sided tape and cut the shape with a sharp knive