Debugging bootp installation

For general discussion not fitting into other categories.
po6labs

Debugging bootp installation

Post by po6labs » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:48 am

I used to install my SGIs via bootp back in the days. After not having used an IRIX machine in ages I've just got an shiny O2 back on my desk now :)

Now I wonder: after doing 'setenv netaddr 192.168.1.123' should I be able to ping the machine from another machine in the same network? I think that would be the first step to get the installation going.

I think I have the whole bootp/tftp setup ready but the O2 just doesn't want to communicate.I'm just using two machines, a Mac with OS X and the O2 connected via a Cisco switch in between. The MAC address of the O2 is visible on the network switch but I cannot get a ping reply from the Mac which is running bootp/tftpdaemon.

JacquesT

Re: Debugging bootp installation

Post by JacquesT » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 am

Depends which version of OSX you're using, later versions of OSX are missing utilities to get a remote install to work. I posted about this on Nekochan and somebody updated the wiki entry. I'm on the phone, can't hunt down the details now. Might have been something to do with rsh or some other remote access protocol...
:Octaneb: 1x 400Mhz R12k, 1Gb, V8, 6.5.30
:O2: 300Mhz R5200, 384Mb, 6.5.22m, FPA with :1600SW: [300Mhz R12k project in the works]

Raion-Fox
Founder

Post by Raion-Fox » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Later versions of MacOS do not easily allow nfsv3, rsh, tftp, bootp and other utilities necessary for remote install.
I'm the manager

Besides irix.cc, I run these sites:

projectkitsune.com

kazuo.io

JacquesT

Post by JacquesT » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:11 pm
Later versions of MacOS do not easily allow nfsv3, rsh, tftp, bootp and other utilities necessary for remote install.
...and that's why I chose to do it on Debian instead...much simpler and less phaff.
:Octaneb: 1x 400Mhz R12k, 1Gb, V8, 6.5.30
:O2: 300Mhz R5200, 384Mb, 6.5.22m, FPA with :1600SW: [300Mhz R12k project in the works]

po6labs

Post by po6labs » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:51 pm

I was actually trying to set it up using https://github.com/eblot/pybootd but I think my issue is more basic. Do you know if after doing 'setenv netaddr 192.168.1.123' in the boot command prompt should I be able to ping the machine from another machine in the same network? Because that I guess would be the first step and that doesn't work.

Raion-Fox
Founder

Post by Raion-Fox » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:36 pm

The server will not respond to a ping from PROM.
I'm the manager

Besides irix.cc, I run these sites:

projectkitsune.com

kazuo.io

po6labs

Post by po6labs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:49 am

Raion-Fox wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:36 pm
Ok, thanks. Can I make the prom bootp() process any more verbose? It doesn't really give much output other than that it failed.

johnnym

Post by johnnym » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:54 am

po6labs wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:49 am
Raion-Fox wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:36 pm
Ok, thanks. Can I make the prom bootp() process any more verbose? It doesn't really give much output other than that it failed.
IIRC I once examined multiple configuration "errors" during network boot (on an O2 I believe) and what output was viewable in the PROM monitor but that was on the Nekochan forum and I didn't archive my post locally.

I don't know of a way to make the bootp() process more verbose from the PROM monitor, but you can use wireshark or tcpdump to follow the process from the server. Best way would be to use an Ethernet switch or better hub (if you can still find one) and only connect the server and the client to it, so no other device "chatters" in between. EDIT: Oh, you already have it setup this way. I should have reread your first post as I apparently missed that information the first time. If your using a Cisco switch you might want to disable STP on the ports to speed up things a little after connecting client and server. On the server side it should also be possible to configure verbose output for the daemons involved. Please consult the respective manual pages. Not sure what you are using, but my recommendation would be to use "standard" tools (I made good experience with the ISC DHCP server and HPA's TFTP server on Debian or Raspbian respectively) first and get it going with these and only later try "special" tools - like the pybootd you mentioned - so you have a known good configuration you can compare to.

There are also "ready-made" solutions available from @dexter1 (https://hub.docker.com/r/dexter1/irix-install/) and @halfmanhalftaco (https://github.com/halfmanhalftaco/irixboot) which you might also give a try. These solutions might make things easier on the server side.

If the SGI machine should get its IP address from the server, the PROM variable netaddr should be either unset or set to the IP address the DHCP/BOOTP server will assign to it, as otherwise, the machine won't use it AFAIK. You can find more information about the PROM variables and commands (incl. bootp()) in https://techpubs.jurassic.nl/manuals/06 ... /ch09.html.

Sorry, I currently do not have a SGI machine at hand (all in storage currently) so can only rely on my memory for help.
:Indigo: :Indy: :Indigo2_IMP: :O2: :Octane: :Octane2c: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: = :O200:

po6labs

Post by po6labs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks a lot johnnym, that was very helpful! I think I'll give that docker image a try...