Connecting to L1

For general discussion not fitting into other categories.
Irinikus

Re: Connecting to L1

Post by Irinikus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:27 am

Fascia wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:44 pm
I've got 6.5.30, or at least that's what the ISOs said.
Ahha! Ok, how is the machine linked to your monitor?

When I link via a DVI to VGA converter to the VGA input on my monitor, I get a picture when the OS loads. It has a horrible green tint, but I get picture the whole time though.

When I connect the machine to my monitor via a DVI to HDMI adapter, I get picture in the PROM, but I loose picture as the OS starts to load and only get it back once the OS loads the login screen. (This is the link that I use normally, as it gets rid of the SOG problem.)

Therefore, when I installed the OS, using my current screen setup, I used the VGA option. As I loose picture as the miniroot starts to load when connected via the DVI to HDMI link. (I don't know why this is though!)

I therefore suggest that you try using a DVI to VGA adaptor. (My screen doesn't have a DVI input, so I don't now how it works with a pure DVI connection.)

Fascia

Post by Fascia » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Irinikus wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:27 am
When I link via a DVI to VGA converter to the VGA input on my monitor, I get a picture when the OS loads. It has a horrible green tint, but I get picture the whole time though.
Winner winner chicken dinner! How strange it doesn't give digital output when the miniroot loads! Especially as fx doesn't have issues. Anyway, thanks! Can finally get Irix loaded on here.
:tezro: :Indy: :Octane2c: :Indigo2: :O2: :PI: :320: :Fuelb: :1600SW: :1600SW:

Irinikus

Post by Irinikus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:40 am

It's great to see that you came right.

As a matter if interest, were you using a pure DVI to DVI link between your Tezro and your monitor, or were you using a DVI to HDMI adapter?

Fascia

Post by Fascia » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:24 am

Pure DVI connection. Perhaps some monitors pick up on the analog signal and automatically switch?
:tezro: :Indy: :Octane2c: :Indigo2: :O2: :PI: :320: :Fuelb: :1600SW: :1600SW:

indy99

Post by indy99 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Fascia wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:24 am
Pure DVI connection. Perhaps some monitors pick up on the analog signal and automatically switch?
One of the reasons I leave a serial terminal connect to my Tezro is the flat panel monitors I was using wouldn't reliably sync to resolution the PROM uses before the very brief "Press escape to enter the PROM" message and Tezro splash screen had come and gone. You can set a switch in the PROM to make the boot process always there. Tried that awhile, but it wasn't long before that got old too. So now I just leave the serial terminal always running in the background on a PC.