SunFire V240 Issues
Sad  SunFire V240 Issues
I want to exhaust the list of possibilites of why a V240 that I own won't boot past ALOM. For context, it did function... once. After that, one CPU heatsink's fan died and it wouldn't work past that. It did throw me an error that the CPU/heatsink/motherboard needed to be replaced, but all that seemed obvious is the fan. Well, it's just a matter of removing it and the chip, and it would work fine, right? But no amount of reseating or repasting or messing around would bring this system back from the dead. I just want to see if there's any last diagnostic I can do before declaring it dead and gutting it for spare parts for another system that does actually work.
Keep in mind that I don't have access to ALOM.
I think it has beeped sometimes, but I have no access nor knowledge of what they could mean (believe it has once beeped 3 times in succession and once beeped just once).
Axiolite
UltraSPARC IIIi

Threads: 1
Find Reply
02-12-2019, 02:56 AM
RE: SunFire V240 Issues
Do you have physical access to the serial console? If you need a DB9/RJ45 adapter to use the SERIAL MGT port and access ALOM, I think I would have a couple of spares, would not mind popping one on the mail if that would help. Quite a bit of useful information being output there during POST, it would definitely help in narrowing down the error. I would definitely try that before scraping the board, anyways.

I am not sure where you are located, but I have recently procured a working board (~30 euro, s&h included) at eBay from a german seller. If you need a lead I would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Indy R4000 @100MHz, 96MB, 3GB, XL Newport | O2 R5000 @180MHz, 256MB, 36GB, CRM | Indigo2 R4400 @250MHz, 192MB, 36GB, Elan + XZ | Octane R10000 @250MHz, 1024MB, 8GB+2GB, ESSI.

mamorim01
Octane

Threads: 4
Website Find Reply
02-12-2019, 06:57 PM
RE: SunFire V240 Issues
I do have a DB9/RJ45 adapter confirmed working (have another functional server), but I have no access to ALOM (and unless there's some magic jumper config I haven't found, there won't be), and there's simply no POST coming up. The errors I mentioned in my before post were from an earlier POST, and that was the last of it I saw.
Axiolite
UltraSPARC IIIi

Threads: 1
Find Reply
02-12-2019, 10:15 PM