Installing the SGI INDY - Ultra64 Development Board + N64 SDK software!!
Installing the SGI INDY - Ultra64 Development Board + N64 SDK software!!
Hi Folks,

I'm here to get some help to install the necessary N64 OS/SDK software for the SGI INDY, in order to use the "ULTRA64 Development GIO option board".
As shown in the images below:

[Image: Ultra64_Repair_001.JPG]

[Image: Ultra64_Repair_002.JPG]

Before I dive in here....just to mention....
I recently received  alot of help from the members here to install the IRIX V6.5 OS on a SCSI2SD adapter for one of my INDY machines.
So if you are having the same type of issues....you can check out that post at the link below:
https://forums.irix.cc/thread-880.html

I'm new to to the world of SGI hardware and software. In turn,  I've been stumbling around and just reading everything I can about these Unix based systems. My background is primarily Industrial Robotics, digital electronics, and Embedded systems. I really love the old school Altera MAX CPLD's from the 90's.  The Hobby side of me surrounds all these areas, along with a bit of Nintendo N64 Development in the mix.

I fell into this Hobby after I saw a video by the YouTube user "Metal Jesus Rocks"
At the time he had found an Ultra RARE "64DD Prototype addon unit" for the US N64 console..... at a garage sale!!

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Since then, I've been around the N64 Homebrew scene...just messing around writing code and working with various pieces of Dev hardware, and just having fun with it.   Tongue
My YouTube Channel - A Basic Intro to N64 Development

So, the reason I'm here...
I currently have a few SGI Indy machines and am looking for some help installing some of the SGI N64 software.  One of the INDY machines I obtained is from the eBay auctions that "Silicon Classics" had sold, and it has some interesting Motion capture software on it.  Eventually as I learn more about the hardware, I'll be sharing the SCSI Drive backup image with the community. So I'll be learning from all of you here and hopefully you can all help me backup the drive to an ISO image.  However, that will be for another post.  For those of you that are interested, you can check out a DEMO video of the INDY unit I obtained from Silicon Classics here on his YouTube channel.   Link below:
https://youtu.be/GXRWmqj9KCE

A little over a year ago, I shared a massive collection of N64 related Dev CD's that I acquired and are now being hosted on the http://ultra64.ca/ Website....so you can check them out if you are thinking of  getting into N64 development. We've also been adding manuals, DOS software tools... and pretty much everything and everything we can find related to N64 development.

Ok, Blah, Blah Blah....
Now to actually dive in and Start this install process...
I'm starting with the N64 OS/SDK install CD for the SGI INDY as shown below...
I'll also have to install the N64 Developers Toolkit, but that will be next.

[Image: NINTENDO_N64_DEV_CDS_001.jpg]

#1.
I inserted the N64 OS CD into my Indy CD-ROM and I get the following ".tar" file to display on the screen after clicking on the CD-ROM icon which was on the Desktop screen.

[Image: SGI_INDY_N64_OS_Install.jpg]

Now I'm a Windows user and new to everything SGI and Unix, so please bear with me....

I have chatted with a few people already and they have been saying I need to copy the "N64OS2K.tar" file over to the hard drive first...? and then extract it and install it using the Indy installer if it has a "/dist" folder.  If not... I have to check for an install.txt file and check for the install instructions.... or look for an "Install.sh" script.

I was told that the way to copy the .tar file over from the CD, was to use the Terminal command "cp".
I can't just "Drag N' Drop" in the GUI the way it is done in Windows Explorer correct?

Anyhow,
This is the first step I'll be trying out...
I just wanted to make this post and document the overall process from Start to Finish for the archives. In case future users may be tackling the same Process of setting up an SGI Indy N64 Dev system. (Even though it is not that common)

Any tips or suggestions will be very much appreciated as I move through the install process.

Cheers! Everyone,
-Gerry
Gerry_MAN
N64 Hardware Fanatic

Threads: 2
Website Find Reply
02-11-2019, 02:58 AM
RE: Installing the SGI INDY - Ultra64 Development Board + N64 SDK software!!
There's no reason you shouldn't be able to drag-and-drop/copy-and-paste. *nix people just tend to default to the command line, is all.

Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Nord Lead 2, Behringer Model D
commodorejohn
PDP-X

Threads: 6
Find Reply
02-11-2019, 03:20 AM
(02-11-2019, 03:20 AM)commodorejohn Wrote:  There's no reason you shouldn't be able to drag-and-drop/copy-and-paste. *nix people just tend to default to the command line, is all.

Oh I see.

So what is the program I use to perform this if I don't use the Terminal?

Pardon my ignorance here. Confused
-Gerry
Gerry_MAN
N64 Hardware Fanatic

Website Find Reply
02-11-2019, 03:29 AM
For moving the TAR file? As you said, just drag and drop in the file manager. No magic incantations required.

Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Nord Lead 2, Behringer Model D
commodorejohn
PDP-X

Find Reply
02-11-2019, 05:47 AM
(02-11-2019, 05:47 AM)commodorejohn Wrote:  For moving the TAR file? As you said, just drag and drop in the file manager. No magic incantations required.

I figured as much, however I wanted to check in case a particular program had to be used.
Gerry_MAN
N64 Hardware Fanatic

Website Find Reply
02-12-2019, 01:31 AM
If there's one nice thing about *nix's dogmatically simple-minded approach to system structure, it's that it really doesn't make too many special distinctions like that - generally, a file is a file is a file (and, hell, even things that aren't actually files are files.) You won't get too many situations like in VMS where you can, say, unwittingly copy a ZIP archive but not whatever magical bit of metadata makes it comprehensible to the unzip program.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 05:51 AM by commodorejohn.)
commodorejohn
PDP-X

Find Reply
02-12-2019, 05:50 AM
Just drag the file to the desktop. Then in the terminal:

cd Desktop
tar -xvf os20k.tar

After that, you can use Software Manager to install from one of the subdirectories.
eudatux23
Octane² and O2

Threads: 3
Find Reply
02-19-2019, 03:10 PM