O2 Welcome Screen
O2 Welcome Screen
It's been over 20 years since I had the opportunity to try an O2 for about a month at the agency I worked for. Yesterday I picked one up in great condition, cleaned it up, blew out some dust and reseated the memory. It booted on first try into what looks like a clean install of IRIX 6.5. My question is: I don't see the welcome screen/O2 logo etc., only black, then it goes right to the login screen, so I'm wondering if the OS is set to do that, or if my monitor is not able to display it?

I don't have the root password and don't have an SGI keyboard yet, it's an HP and the escape key works as num lock, no other key works as escape. The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 2443bw and works fine when I login to the guest or demo account at 1280x1024. Any suggestions? Thanks very much!
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2019, 06:48 PM by MikeK.)
MikeK
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
02-09-2019, 06:41 PM
RE: O2 Welcome Screen
There’s a possibility that your keyboard might be the problem, as these machines go into a non-graphical, serial console mode when they don’t detect a keyboard on power up.

What’s strange here is that the graphics system does come up once IRIX has loaded.

Confirm you do get the chime on power up?

I would suggest trying out other PS/2 keyboards on the machine. I personally use a DELL PS/2 keyboard with my O2 and it works fine.

[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Threads: 106
Website Find Reply
02-09-2019, 09:23 PM
RE: O2 Welcome Screen
Thanks very much!. Yes I do get the chime on power up. The Samsung monitor I'm using does support sync on green. Is it possible the previous owner set the O2 to bypass the welcome screen? Is that something you can do/undo?

I tried a second monitor I had and it's the same problem.
MikeK
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
02-11-2019, 04:25 AM