OK Tardist, so now what?
OK Tardist, so now what?
Hello everybody!
I'm so glad that I've found this network...
Ten years ago I bought an Octane2 [512 megs ram, 1 x R12000, ODSY].
Played a lot with it (Bzflag, compiled Gentoo, etc.) then forgot it...
Now I struggled 15 days to get Gentoo working again but no avail... all is broken... got exhausted...
So I gave up with installing Gentoo and tried to get an usable machine by reinstalling Irix from scratch.
DINA was the game changer! I must admit I've used the "prepacked" one with 6.5 already crammed inside!!!
Shame on me...
I'm really happy with my beefy Octane2....can you hear the noise? [mmmmmmm.m...m.mm.m.m.m.m......]
Downloaded Bash, BzFlag, TightVNC and all dependencies. Used the software manager which is quite user friendly!
All green lights!! Cool!
But.... where is the software?
How can I launch it? From the shell?
Found vncserver digging around, tried and launch it but complained not founding vnc in PATH.
Help really appreciated!
Cheers everyone!

[EDIT: got VNC working by adding it's "bin" path to $PATH. Still, I don't get DISPLAY :0:0 (the Irix desktop) but :0:1, plain X windows with just an Xterm...]
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2019, 07:59 PM by qzu.)
qzu
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
02-08-2019, 05:36 PM
RE: OK Tardist, so now what?
wait - so when you log in your not getting the 4dwm window manager but just plain X?
gijoe77
Tezro

Threads: 30
Find Reply
02-09-2019, 06:54 AM
Hi Gijoe77!
Nope, I get plain X when I connect from a remote machine via VNC!
I'd like to see the real desktop! Would be hugely practical because Octane can't be moved around!
Thank you
qzu
O2

Find Reply
02-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Hi everyone!
I really don't understand how to use the Nekoware tardist's correctly!
I wished they just worked... but it's not the case!
Even neko_OpenSSH is complaining about sshd user... ok
then he can't find the host keys....
Am I missing something with Nekoware in general??
Any help is appreciated!
Cheers,
qzu
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2019, 03:21 PM by qzu.)
qzu
O2

Find Reply
02-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Qzu, irix.cc developers are working to create the irisware platform which should be capable of installing software on IRIX systems for end-users.

Until then, we still have to compile stuff ourselves or work with nekoware and freeware tardists. And yes, this can be a hassle if the tardists are several years old.
Can you tell us what software exactly you want to run on your octane?

ssh has many implementations: There is the openssh/openssl package on the IRIX applications CD, or use the one from IRIX freeware distribution.
Nekoware has several working ssh tardists like the beta folder from Rainer Canavan. I also have some more recent nekoware tardist on my website which you can find in my signature.

Also, if you have issues with a specific tardist, please state its version and what IRIX version you are running.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2019, 08:01 PM by dexter1.)
dexter1
Global Moderator

Threads: 10
Find Reply
02-09-2019, 08:00 PM
Hello Dexter1 and thank you for your kind reply.
OS is 6.5.22 and the tardists are from this repo:
http://fr.irisware.net/nekoware/current/
The native Irix shell is a nightmare! No tab completion, no history!
So Bash would help a lot.
Also, any ssh server would do! Currenty I can login remotely only with telnet (ugh!)
Vnc server would be a nice-to-have...
As a final note, I've got a lot of troubles with my usb keyboard with a PS2 adapter (ctrl and caps lock are inverted, esc doesn't work, etc.!!!)
Thanks a lot for your patience!
Cheers,
qzu
qzu
O2

Find Reply
02-09-2019, 10:17 PM
Tcsh has tab completion. You can switch to it by setting the passwd file to use /bin/tcsh

You can of course install GNU Bash, but I think learning the native shells is worthwhile.

The magma of our souls burns with a mighty flame! Gurren Lagann! Just who in the hell do you think we are!?

Proud member of Team Gurren, the founder, operator, and developer behind IRIX Network. 

I'm carrying on Pete's legacy, and while I'm not perfect, I'm the only man for the job. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself.

[Image: daigurrensig.png]
Raion
Operator

Threads: 82
Website Find Reply
02-10-2019, 01:41 PM
(02-09-2019, 10:17 PM)qzu Wrote:  Hello Dexter1 and thank you for your kind reply.
OS is 6.5.22 and the tardists are from this repo:
http://fr.irisware.net/nekoware/current/
The native Irix shell is a nightmare! No tab completion, no history!
So Bash would help a lot.
Also, any ssh server would do! Currenty I can login remotely only with telnet (ugh!)
Vnc server would be a nice-to-have...
As a final note, I've got a lot of troubles with my usb keyboard with a PS2 adapter (ctrl and caps lock are inverted, esc doesn't work, etc.!!!)
Thanks a lot for your patience!
Cheers,
qzu
If you want to run nekoware per se, use http://fr.irisware.net/nekoware/beta/canavan/ as a base.
Rainer Canavan has good openssh and openssl tardist in that beta directory. As an alternative for vnc, try rdesktop.

As Raion explained, tcsh is a good choice since it is native to IRIX and a lot of shell scripts for IRIX use either csh or ksh. Bash is also possible as a replacement for ksh.

Does your keyboard have a us international layout? There are tools to customize your keyboard layout in IRIX if it has an non-standard layout.
dexter1
Global Moderator

Threads: 10
Find Reply
02-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Thank you Dexter1 and Raion for your invaluable insights.
I really want to preserve this machine as long as I can!
I'll report you back what I achieve.
Good night,
qzu
qzu
O2

Find Reply
02-10-2019, 06:33 PM
(02-09-2019, 12:24 PM)qzu Wrote:  Hi Gijoe77!
Nope, I get plain X when I connect from a remote machine via VNC!
I'd like to see the real desktop! Would be hugely practical because Octane can't be moved around!
Thank you

I hear good things about mobaXterm https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/ give it a shot
gijoe77
Tezro

Threads: 30
Find Reply
02-13-2019, 02:07 AM