Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What big mistakes did you just make?
What big mistakes did you just make?
I just erased all of the flash images of my managed router and I don't have an easy way to upload a new image. This was an ebay purchase I was trying to "restore" and I went a little too far.

It's late and I've got no more energy to correct a fatly sliced error. Big chunk of my network now ugly wired to resolve it.

Let everyone know how incompetent you are :-)
mrthinlysliced Offline
Octane

Threads: 5
Find Reply
05-27-2018, 11:29 PM
Re: What big mistakes did you just make?
For a few years in college I worked at what was at the time the highest-end dining establishment in my home state, which was on the 50th floor of the IDS building in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. I worked in finance and accounting but my office was in the kitchen. One time when I was illegally "behind the line" (where only cooks were allowed) I accidentally hit the gas emergency shutoff, which immediately turned off the flame in all the ovens. The Chef wanted me fired on the spot, but my reporting relationship went through accounting and they turned him down. I think he eventually forgave me... :roll:
Project: Temporarily lost at sea

Plan: World domination! Or something...
vishnu Offline
Octane

Threads: 1
Find Reply
05-31-2018, 04:26 AM
Recently featured on El Reg as it happens: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/05/who_me/

Yes, this was me...
 Indigo2 IMPACT R10000 195MHz, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT, 36GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Fuel R14000 600MHz, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
O2 in storage...
Trippynet Offline
Indigo2 IMPACT

Find Reply
06-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Trippynet post_id=684 time=1527948541 user_id=67 Wrote:Recently featured on El Reg as it happens: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/05/who_me/

Yes, this was me...

hehehe.. I read that a month ago on a Facebook page I follow about IT Stories.. can't believe it's you chap.. nice one. (I would put a smiley here, but my choice is limited to SGI machines.. )
Hey Ho Pip And Dandy!!!!!

Onyx2 :O2K_d-1: Origin 200 :tezro: Octane2 O2 Indigo Indy :320:
uunix Offline
Octane

Threads: 26
Find Reply
06-02-2018, 08:00 PM
Some years back I worked for a 'tight' company. They purchased some new server racks but couldn't stretch to the drive capacity required, and for some reason we ended up with a spanned set of disks rather than any decent raid.. well, I used Symantec backup, which to this day I still like (but after this episode I am a lot more observant with it).

So each day I received email stating the backup had worked ok, and each day I logged on and checked it manually, and each day the data stored on the physical drives got bigger. We did carry out a test restore every quarter, but it wasn't a complete one, it was a random bunch of files one as we never really had the down time or the hardware.

After a few years, it was still running fine. Then one of the spanned disks crashed and the raid fell apart. OK, new drives (this time we obtained a couple of drives to get us to at least raid 1), and then restore.

Funny thing then, upon restoring, a lot of files seemed not there, and going back through the tapes, they still wasn't there. The tapes system was incremental, but overwritten every coupe of weeks (long time ago now, so the details are a bit grey).

So to cut a long story short, the backup had been working fine, but what I never noticed, was the size of the backup getting smaller and smaller, the drives must have been failing over a period of time, and in the end I had very little to restore.

It took me nearly a week to get 90% of the data back, and that was really due to an amazing tool called undelete[something], which managed to get files from the broken drive.

A massive lesson learnt there I have to say and a very embarrassing one.
Hey Ho Pip And Dandy!!!!!

Onyx2 :O2K_d-1: Origin 200 :tezro: Octane2 O2 Indigo Indy :320:
uunix Offline
Octane

Threads: 26
Find Reply
06-02-2018, 08:25 PM
Some years back we, by which I mean my co-workers and I, enticed the company to buy us three Universal Voltronics power supplies that are able to deliver a constant current source from zero to 22,000 volts. It ran off 480 3-phase, and we gave the relevant documentation to our plant engineers and they wired it up. We warmed it up bit by bit and eventually got to where we wanted to see if it could really deliver at 20 amps. Keep in mind that 20 amps at 22,000 volts is 440,000 watts, but the plant engineers said it could do it. They were right, and they were wrong. The 480 line that they installed could do 440,000 watts, but what they failed to take into account was the peak inrush current, which at various points of the phase was way more than the substation we were hooked up to could handle. So, we knocked out the substation, which killed power to the entire north half of the plant, with maybe a thousand guys working there. They had to lease a Lear jet to fly replacement transformers from Los Angeles, which they did, and power was restored at about 4 AM the next morning. Now, despite the fact that the power went out in the middle of our charging cycle, we did not intuit that it was our fault. The plant engineers assured us, right? So, the next day, we did it again! Needless to say, this time we realized our mistake. They tried to figure out a way to blame us for it, because blame-laying and fault-finding is the most important skill our managers can have, but again, the plant engineers assured us! Tongue o_0
Project: Temporarily lost at sea

Plan: World domination! Or something...
vishnu Offline
Octane

Find Reply
06-14-2018, 04:31 AM
Was maneuvering a heavy wooden newel post out of my closet and it got too close to a set of antique cranberry candle shades(circa 1930-40) on my nightstand. While struggling with it (to avoid scratching the floor), the end accidentally smacked the top of one of the shades and broke it. I was very heartbroken as I liked that set very much. Now I gotta find another set, even though I still have the one. I guess it's not that uncommon of an an occurrence, judging by the number of mismatched, or single lamps floating around on Ebay.
Krokodil Offline
Alphaserver DS10

Threads: 0
Find Reply
07-04-2018, 06:46 PM
I woke up...and on a work day :-(
JohnnyJohnny Offline
O2

Find Reply
07-19-2018, 09:39 PM
I went in against a Sicilian when death was on the line.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+
Silicon Classics Offline
Core Contributor

Threads: 4
Find Reply
07-21-2018, 03:10 PM