Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your current home or office setup?
Re: What's your current home or office setup?
This is an old picture - but my "office" has only gotten much worse. I now have another big microscope, a Tezro and an Onyx350/IR4 in this space also, along with 2 guitar amps and all the DmediaPro stuff (sony monitor, ADA8824, etc). I haven't been able to fit my 2nd IR4 in here yet. I gotta clean it up a bit more before I take another picture.

forgot to mention the 6 o2's and 5 Indigo2's laying around too
gijoe77 Offline
Tezro

Threads: 23
Find Reply
08-03-2018, 01:10 AM
Re: What's your current home or office setup?
That's an awesome collection of microscopes, I must say!
[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
Irinikus Offline
Tezro

Threads: 65
Discord: Irinikus
Find Reply
08-06-2018, 06:10 PM
RE: What's your current home or office setup?
This is now my current setup, I still have to move quite a few machines, but I'm getting there slowly:

[Image: hyD9zXr.jpg]

[Image: HEHoyYo.jpg]

[Image: t2f7O7X.jpg]

These machines are still on my other desk in Cape Town and will stay there, together with the onyx2:

[Image: LeGUz5y.jpg?2]

[Image: GmzUeyK.jpg?1]
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 07:15 PM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus Offline
Tezro

Find Reply
08-29-2018, 06:28 PM
(08-29-2018, 06:28 PM)Irinikus Wrote: This is now my current setup, I still have to move quite a few machines, but I'm getting there slowly:

crikey Irinikus.. do you even go in that room? Is it a show room?  Big Grin
Hey Ho Pip And Dandy!!!!!

Onyx2 :O2K_d-1: Origin 200 :tezro: Octane2 O2 Indigo Indy :320:
uunix Offline
Octane

Threads: 26
Find Reply
08-29-2018, 07:13 PM
I'm almost never in Cape Town these days, so the room with my V880z in it, is used daily.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2018, 03:16 AM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus Offline
Tezro

Find Reply
08-29-2018, 07:21 PM
My little corner...soon to change, taking the 1600sw out and moving the Dell over for an HP Elitedisplay 241i panel. The O2 / Octane will then share the VGA connection when in use on the Dell.

Little wooden box is my RPi install and bridge server for the SGIs.

I hate the old fat key Apple keyboard! My alu one died Sad

[Image: 44337067952_cf9cc2029f_c.jpg]
Octane  1x 400Mhz R12k, 1Gb, V8, 6.5.30m

O2 300Mhz R12K (R10K upgrade mod),  384Mb, 6.5.30m, FPA  with  1600SW (Original R5K chassis, mobo and cpu in storage)
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2018, 03:25 PM by JacquesT.)
JacquesT Offline
Octane

Threads: 26
Find Reply
08-31-2018, 03:05 PM
I've posted this video of my home setup, as I'm currently experimenting with video, so any criticism would be appreciated. (It's harder to do this than I thought, so Props to Dodoid and others who are making videos at the professional level at which they do! Smile)

My voice does sound a bit nasal, as I'm currently recovering from a rather bad cold.

The background music doesn't sound the best, as it was playing at the time of recording. (I thought that I would experiment in capturing environmental sound.)

I hope the video inspires others in their collecting of these wonderful machines.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2018, 09:31 AM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus Offline
Tezro

Find Reply
09-16-2018, 09:29 AM
(09-16-2018, 09:29 AM)Irinikus Wrote: I've posted this video of my home setup, as I'm currently experimenting with video, so any criticism would be appreciated. (It's harder to do this than I thought, so Props to Dodoid and others who are making videos at the professional level at which they do! Smile)

My voice does sound a bit nasal, as I'm currently recovering from a rather bad cold.

The background music doesn't sound the best, as it was playing at the time of recording. (I thought that I would experiment in capturing environmental sound.)

I hope the video inspires others in their collecting of these wonderful machines.

I just subscribed to your channel from my public Dodoid channel, and added a link to your stuff in my "Featured Channels" section. People viewing my channel should now see this in the sidebar:

Your videos are interesting, but I have a few suggestions you could try if you wanted:

- Get a non-linear video editor of some sort. Judging by the titles, it looks like you're using iMovie right now? You seem to use macOS, for sure. Try Final Cut Pro X. It's what I do my videos in.

- Consider picking up a capture device, to record the screen. You did a pretty good job of filming the monitor, it's filmed from a good (straight) angle, the lighting doesn't make the screen hard to see, there's no obvious moire pattern, etc, but video capture is really the way you want to go if you're planning to show the screen of a machine often. I use an Epiphan DVI2USB 3.0, which can record native-resolution 1280x1024 sync-on-green analog video at 60fps. SoG compatibility is an especially big deal, and I actually emailed the company, Epiphan, to ask if it supported SoG before I bought mine. Most capture devices will not support SoG video. Presumably because of SoG, I've found that video from my Onyx sometimes produces a green-tinted image (with different tints depending on if the system is booted to IRIX or at the PROM), so I have a pair OBS profiles (called "RE2 IRIX de-green" and "RE2 PROM de-green") to color-correct the video in real-time when capturing it. I'm still fine-tuning them, and there are a few parts in my Onyx video where if you look closely, you'll see some colors are weird. For capturing the screen of the macOS system at the beginning, you can use QuickTime Player, no hardware or monitor filming necessary.

- Playing background music in the room sounds like it could work out pretty well, but it rarely does. Editing it in is really the way to go.

- You got some pretty nice angles on your table with all the machines on top, but the camera was handheld and seemingly not stabilized in software. If you get a good tripod, you can really clean up the motion in those scenes, and it looks really nice.

- Make thumbnails for your video! YouTube allows users to upload custom thumbnails in most cases (even for really small accounts), and a good thumbnail makes a video a lot more appealing than just whatever frame YouTube picked out of your video.

- Your photos in this thread are really good! You might consider getting some shots from the same angles you might take a photo from.

- Add some shots to show what you're talking about. It's okay to cut away from one shot to show something else, even just for a few seconds. For example, when you talk about the door on the front of your Tezro, you might consider showing a short clip of the door being opened, or even just panning along the front of the machine, showing where the door is. To a viewer who is not familiar with SGI stuff, who doesn't know what door you're talking about, this will make it a lot clearer.

- You definitely can record your audio in real-time, and most videos (including mine) have some audio captured along with video. However, for some parts of your video, such as when demonstrating software for example, you probably want to record a bunch of video, write a script (or even just a few point-form notes) to read from, record a voice-over, then cut and otherwise edit your video to match the voiceover. If the point of a section of your video is to explain or talk about something, do the important part, the talking, as well as you can (do multiple takes if you want), then edit your video afterwards to visually show what you're talking about. For my videos, I usually record audio in 15-30 second segments, consisting of 1 to 3 sentences each. I might do 5 to 10 takes of a segment, and then chop it up sometimes even syllable-by-syllable to edit it down as cleanly as possible. Only then do I go looking for footage to play over the audio.

Just a few ideas. You don't have to follow all of them, especially the capture device (it's a big improvement in quality, but it's also quite the investment). Definitely let me know if you want help with anything else.

If you join the IRIX.cc Discord (which you really should), you can direct-message me, and I can get probably get back to you that way much faster than through the forum.
Onyx Origin 2000 Deskside Fuel Octane Octane Octane O2 O2 Indigo2 IMPACT Indigo2 Indigo2 Indy Indy
Dodoid Offline
Core Contributor

Threads: 1
Discord: Dodoid#7607
Find Reply
09-21-2018, 06:15 PM
(09-21-2018, 06:15 PM)Dodoid Wrote: I just subscribed to your channel from my public Dodoid channel, and added a link to your stuff in my "Featured Channels" section. People viewing my channel should now see this in the sidebar:

Your videos are interesting, but I have a few suggestions you could try if you wanted:

- Get a non-linear video editor of some sort. Judging by the titles, it looks like you're using iMovie right now? You seem to use macOS, for sure. Try Final Cut Pro X. It's what I do my videos in.

- Consider picking up a capture device, to record the screen. You did a pretty good job of filming the monitor, it's filmed from a good (straight) angle, the lighting doesn't make the screen hard to see, there's no obvious moire pattern, etc, but video capture is really the way you want to go if you're planning to show the screen of a machine often. I use an Epiphan DVI2USB 3.0, which can record native-resolution 1280x1024 sync-on-green analog video at 60fps. SoG compatibility is an especially big deal, and I actually emailed the company, Epiphan, to ask if it supported SoG before I bought mine. Most capture devices will not support SoG video. Presumably because of SoG, I've found that video from my Onyx sometimes produces a green-tinted image (with different tints depending on if the system is booted to IRIX or at the PROM), so I have a pair OBS profiles (called "RE2 IRIX de-green" and "RE2 PROM de-green") to color-correct the video in real-time when capturing it. I'm still fine-tuning them, and there are a few parts in my Onyx video where if you look closely, you'll see some colors are weird. For capturing the screen of the macOS system at the beginning, you can use QuickTime Player, no hardware or monitor filming necessary.

- Playing background music in the room sounds like it could work out pretty well, but it rarely does. Editing it in is really the way to go.

- You got some pretty nice angles on your table with all the machines on top, but the camera was handheld and seemingly not stabilized in software. If you get a good tripod, you can really clean up the motion in those scenes, and it looks really nice.

- Make thumbnails for your video! YouTube allows users to upload custom thumbnails in most cases (even for really small accounts), and a good thumbnail makes a video a lot more appealing than just whatever frame YouTube picked out of your video.

- Your photos in this thread are really good! You might consider getting some shots from the same angles you might take a photo from.

- Add some shots to show what you're talking about. It's okay to cut away from one shot to show something else, even just for a few seconds. For example, when you talk about the door on the front of your Tezro, you might consider showing a short clip of the door being opened, or even just panning along the front of the machine, showing where the door is. To a viewer who is not familiar with SGI stuff, who doesn't know what door you're talking about, this will make it a lot clearer.

- You definitely can record your audio in real-time, and most videos (including mine) have some audio captured along with video. However, for some parts of your video, such as when demonstrating software for example, you probably want to record a bunch of video, write a script (or even just a few point-form notes) to read from, record a voice-over, then cut and otherwise edit your video to match the voiceover. If the point of a section of your video is to explain or talk about something, do the important part, the talking, as well as you can (do multiple takes if you want), then edit your video afterwards to visually show what you're talking about. For my videos, I usually record audio in 15-30 second segments, consisting of 1 to 3 sentences each. I might do 5 to 10 takes of a segment, and then chop it up sometimes even syllable-by-syllable to edit it down as cleanly as possible. Only then do I go looking for footage to play over the audio.

Just a few ideas. You don't have to follow all of them, especially the capture device (it's a big improvement in quality, but it's also quite the investment). Definitely let me know if you want help with anything else.

If you join the IRIX.cc Discord (which you really should), you can direct-message me, and I can get probably get back to you that way much faster than through the forum.

Thanks very much for the valuable suggestions you've made, I really appreciate your inputs!

I will definitely make use of your valuable advice when I make my next video. I'm currently working on a video of the Alphastation 255, as there really aren't any good videos of this machine on YouTube. (I've just started on it, so I'll see if I can make use of some of your suggestions in the making of this video.)

I will definitely have to look at getting an Epiphan DVI2USB 3.0 in the future.

Thanks for subscribing to my channel! (I just subscribed to yours.)
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2018, 06:53 PM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus Offline
Tezro

Find Reply
09-21-2018, 06:49 PM