Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The SUN JavaStation-10 "Krups"
The SUN JavaStation-10 "Krups"
I have two of these machines, but only one power supply brick, so for all intensive purposes I only have one machine. (The one in Cape Town simply serves as a desktop ornament.)

The Javastation, although a good idea and a display of forward thinking at the time, was not a very successful product, due to it's poor performance under "Java OS".

It's certainly one of the most aesthetically beautiful looking products produced by any computer manufacturer ever!

Here are some pictures:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/GmzUeyK.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ScvZ59J.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/X4tzNxn.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/eSbvqOF.jpg[/img]

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
Irinikus Online
Tezro

Threads: 63
Discord: Irinikus
Find Reply
05-26-2018, 03:22 AM
Re: The SUN JavaStation-10 "Krups"
The one I owned was full of scratches and scuff marks and didn't look as good as yours. Nice pictures also.

The only thing I never liked about this system, is how weak/brittle the shell is and how surprisingly large and space-consuming it is... (Especially considering how small the actual board is.)

What do you run on yours? I mostly ran the NetBSD/sparc (SPARCv8) release with JavaStation support.
M.G. Offline
O2

Threads: 0
Find Reply
05-26-2018, 11:37 AM
As far as I know, the plastics are about the same as your average SGI in terms of brittleness. (It's unfortunately the nature of the game!)

As soon as I get an appropriate SUN keyboard, I will put it to use. It will not boot if it doesn't detect a keyboard. (When I turn it on, it complains about there not being a keyboard present and then the screen goes blank.) I think that it automatically starts outputting to serial.

When I order all of the necessaries for my V880z from WildFire systems, I will order a PS/2 keyboard for it too. (I want to get everything from one place to save on shipping costs.)

The JavaStation that I'm going to use is fitted with the FLASH memory card and 64MB of RAM. I am aware that it performs best with LINUX on it but I want to keep it original, so I will make use of the Java OS that's loaded on the FLASH card. (For better or worse!)
Irinikus Online
Tezro

Find Reply
05-26-2018, 12:02 PM
M.G. post_id=483 time=1527334678 user_id=160 Wrote:The one I owned was full of scratches and scuff marks and didn't look as good as yours. Nice pictures also.

The only thing I never liked about this system, is how weak/brittle the shell is and how surprisingly large and space-consuming it is... (Especially considering how small the actual board is.)

What do you run on yours? I mostly ran the NetBSD/sparc (SPARCv8) release with JavaStation support.

As far as I know, the plastics are about the same as your average SGI in terms of brittleness. (It's unfortunately the nature of the game!)

As soon as I get an appropriate SUN keyboard, I will put it to use. It will not boot if it doesn't detect a keyboard. (When I turn it on, it complains about there not being a keyboard present and then the screen goes blank.) I think that it automatically starts outputting to serial.

When I order all of the necessaries for my V880z from WildFire systems, I will order a PS/2 keyboard for it too. (I want to get everything from one place to save on shipping costs.)

The JavaStation that I'm going to use is fitted with the FLASH memory card and 64MB of RAM. I am aware that it performs best with LINUX on it but I want to keep it original, so I will make use of the Java OS that's loaded on the FLASH card. (For better or worse!)

The motherboard takes up most of the inside of the case:

[Image: PvtBDVK.jpg]

Obviously there will be relatively large open spaces on either side of the motherboard to allow for the curved outer design

Attached Files Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2018, 11:04 AM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus Online
Tezro

Find Reply
05-26-2018, 12:33 PM
I have finally got to take a look at my Javastation.

When I turn it on I get the following:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/EzE34oa.jpg[/img]

It then got to a screen full of colourful stars floating around and only the mouse curser was visible and it was movable movable, and that was that!

Is it not meant to get to a state where it displays a menu?

Note of the fact that it's not connected to a network and the it's internal battery hasn't been replaced since it was originally shipped.

Any ideas?

Attached Files Image(s)

Irinikus Online
Tezro

Find Reply
06-07-2018, 01:36 PM
The JavaStation-10 made an appearance in an episode of Friends:

http://www.starringthecomputer.com/computer.html?c=408
Irinikus Online
Tezro

Find Reply
08-22-2018, 05:40 PM
RE: The SUN JavaStation-10 "Krups"
Here's a quick hardware tour of this machine:

Irinikus Online
Tezro

Find Reply
Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Nice video! Have you solved the post-boot problems?
Trantor Offline
O2

Threads: 3
Find Reply
Yesterday, 08:01 PM
(Yesterday, 08:01 PM)Trantor Wrote: Nice video! Have you solved the post-boot problems?

Thanks! Smile
I haven't got around to playing with this machine yet, but I'll definitely give feedback once I do.
(This post was last modified: Yesterday, 08:11 PM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus Online
Tezro

Find Reply
Yesterday, 08:10 PM