Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repair Onyx2 graphics module power supply
Repair Onyx2 graphics module power supply
Hi,
Today I was trying to connect two graphics modules to Origin 2000 racks. The first one started fine when I turned the power on, on the back.
When I turned on the power to the second one, a fuse in my house blew (220V , 16A). I assumed it was due to overload because both modules where connectec to the same phase. Even though it should thoretically work, there could have been a peak. I turned off the module, reset the fuse, and turned the module on again.

This time I heard a loud 'pop' and the module started to smell. More attempts to start module failed. So I removed the psu from the module and noticed that the smell came from the psu. One small piece of ceramic also fell out of a hole when I shook the psu.
Probably a piece of the component that popped.

I think it is strange, because I had run that rack by itself a couple of weeks ago. What could be the reason for the failure?

The question is how do I open this psu? I see no normal screw, except for the fans and handle. It seems like it is riveted together. I can of course use force, but maybe there is a correct way to do this. Once I get it open, I think it should be possible to repair if the broken component(s) can be replaced.

Plan B. Anyone got a spare psu Smile?
bjornl Offline
Indigo

Threads: 5
Find Reply
10-07-2018, 01:29 PM
RE: Repair Onyx2 graphics module power supply
If there are rivets, you can always drill them out and then replace them with new ones once you've fixed the problem.

If you're lucky, it could maybe have been a varistor that blew. (They're responsible for surge protection)

[Image: f27I5Ng.png]
[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018, 01:56 PM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus Offline
Tezro

Threads: 64
Discord: Irinikus
Find Reply
10-07-2018, 01:55 PM
Photo  RE: Repair Onyx2 graphics module power supply
Thanks for the tip. I will see if I can use that method with out damaging to much.

Unfortunately the piece that came out of my psu is white and square, but maybe a varistor can be any shape.

[Image: 20181007_132642.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018, 02:36 PM by bjornl.)
bjornl Offline
Indigo

Threads: 5
Find Reply
10-07-2018, 02:29 PM
RE: Repair Onyx2 graphics module power supply
That looks like part of the casing of a ceramic power resistor.
[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
Irinikus Offline
Tezro

Threads: 64
Discord: Irinikus
Find Reply
10-07-2018, 04:27 PM