Your first SGI encounter?
RE: Your first SGI encounter?
My dad worked for Westinghouse and back in the early 1990s they had an open house day on a Saturday for family to come in and look around. I don't recall what model SGI it was but it had the dialbox attached. That probably spurred my love of workstations and big iron. It was amazing to see the server rooms with the raised floors and desks full of Sun and Apollo boxes. They even had a Cray-2 I got to see and have a seat on. The "control room" for that just had rows of terminals and monitors all over.

I asked him whatever happened with the Cray hardware and he said it was offered to Ukraine or the Czech Republic who declined it for a bunch of desktops. He said in the end it was scrapped Sad

Found a pic http://archive.computerhistory.org/resou...523.lg.jpg
epitaxial
O2

Threads: 2
Find Reply
11-23-2018, 02:16 AM
(11-23-2018, 02:16 AM)epitaxial Wrote:  My dad worked for Westinghouse and back in the early 1990s they had an open house day on a Saturday for family to come in and look around. I don't recall what model SGI it was but it had the dialbox attached. That probably spurred my love of workstations and big iron. It was amazing to see the server rooms with the raised floors and desks full of Sun and Apollo boxes. They even had a Cray-2 I got to see and have a seat on. The "control room" for that just had rows of terminals and monitors all over.

I asked him whatever happened with the Cray hardware and he said it was offered to Ukraine or the Czech Republic who declined it for a bunch of desktops. He said in the end it was scrapped Sad

Very cool, thanks for sharing such a great memory! Love the pictures too.👍

[Image: hUxrEJW.png]
BackPlaner
Jurassic Technologist

Threads: 22
Find Reply
11-24-2018, 05:17 AM
Mid 90's, I was in my early 20's, was a SIGGRAPH addict and following eagerly anything about SGI/3D stuff.
I knew my way in 3DS max at the time but as a student, the company I was working part time had a loan SGI Indigo for a few days... Maya, Softimage, all the 3D stuff the big boys had, I was in heaven...
I never did that many extra hours in my life than during these few days Big Grin 

Now I own an Octane...
sancho
O2

Threads: 0
Find Reply
12-04-2018, 04:03 AM
(11-23-2018, 02:16 AM)epitaxial Wrote:  My dad worked for Westinghouse and back in the early 1990s they had an open house day on a Saturday for family to come in and look around. I don't recall what model SGI it was but it had the dialbox attached. That probably spurred my love of workstations and big iron. It was amazing to see the server rooms with the raised floors and desks full of Sun and Apollo boxes. They even had a Cray-2 I got to see and have a seat on. The "control room" for that just had rows of terminals and monitors all over.

matyas
O2

Threads: 0
Find Reply
12-05-2018, 10:02 PM
My first sight of an SGI was back around 1996 or 1997 at a regional computer trade show (remember those? Smile ). From what I remember, it was an Indigo2 Impact with a huge 21 inch Granite display running a demo of CA's Unicenter TNG. The person at the controls (I also remember him using a huge spaceball) was showing me the world view of the software's network management interface where they had established mock data centers in large cities around the globe. He would hone in from one city's data center to another and I was awestruck by the graphics it produced. He also showed me a little of the Irix desktop manager as it was so foreign to me. What a beautiful machine, I thought. I later saw a few more teal and purple Indigo2s out on display in one of the adjacent halls, all propped up on their feet stands looking elegant and proud. To this day, the Indigo2 Impact is my favorite.

I never forgot those machines and unfortunately the SGIs never came back in subsequent trade shows that I was aware of as I attended them regularly at that time. That was the first and last time I seen them on display at these trade shows until I bought my first Indigo2 R4000 a few years ago.

Fuel Indigo2 Indigo2 Indy Indigo2 IMPACT Fuel
Various SUN/ALPHA Stuff
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2018, 12:20 AM by Tesseract.)
Tesseract
Give me MIPS!

Threads: 1
Find Reply
12-09-2018, 10:56 PM