General Chit-Chat Thread
General Chit-Chat Thread
This is a thread simply to talk about everyday mundane things, i.e. the weather, what you did today, or other small talk.

Today I'm cleaning out my basement and found all sorts of crazy looking spiders. Everything is being powerwashed.

I'm the manager
Besides IRIX Network, I run these sites:
projectkitsune.com

Tezro
Octane2
Indigo2 IMPACT
Indigo2
3x O2
3x Indy

Raion
Operator

Threads: 68
Website Find Reply
12-01-2017, 06:36 PM
Re: General Chit-Chat Thread
When I find spiders in my dwelling, I catch them and put them outside. But I only do this in the summer. In the winter I just leave them alone. :roll:

Project: Temporarily lost at sea

Plan: World domination! Or something...
vishnu
Octane

Threads: 1
Find Reply
12-09-2017, 06:08 AM
I generally dont kill spiders that just mind their own business but the basement needed cleaning that day and power washing was how I did it, just too many spiders to catch and release.

I'm the manager
projectkitsune.com

Tezro
Octane2
Indigo2 IMPACT
Indigo2
3x O2
3x Indy

Raion
Operator

Website Find Reply
12-09-2017, 04:16 PM
I live on a boat in the Marina, in Marina Del Rey, beach area, Los Angeles.

There are spiders sometimes. Usually I leave them alone. They get eaten by birds, etc. I think one bit my earlobe last week in my sleep. It itched bad in the morning and wasn't soft for a couple days. Felt weird, like my earlobe had plastic inside it.

Now its back to normal. Ok, now back to this networking SGI and win7 business today.

Octane 2x400O2 300O2 400Origin 200 2x250
Intuition
Octane

Threads: 13
Find Reply
12-09-2017, 11:09 PM
So your computers are on the boat with you, or do you keep them offsite?

Sounds like a few issues there:

Salt spray
Dirty power
Rough currents

All not very good for antique hardware.

I'm the manager
projectkitsune.com

Tezro
Octane2
Indigo2 IMPACT
Indigo2
3x O2
3x Indy

Raion
Operator

Website Find Reply
12-10-2017, 04:12 AM
Raion-Fox post_id=18 time=1512879173 user_id=49 Wrote:So your computers are on the boat with you, or do you keep them offsite?

Sounds like a few issues there:

Salt spray
Dirty power
Rough currents

All not very good for antique hardware.

Yes, I have one o2 on the boat with me with my win7 box. The rest are nearby at the office as will be the Octane.
I keep the o2 in a sealed plastic bin when it is not in use. The boat is pretty nice though. Its not a sailboat. Its 1967 40ft constellation class Chris Craft the top area that comes open air standard has a closed area built on it so there is perfect shielding from rain even up top.

Exactly like this one except imagine a black enclosure instead of blue. http://pacificmarine.org/blog/wp-content...4227_2.jpg
Its bigger than my first apt was as far as square feet. This part of the year can be moist though so it's important that even though the interior stays pretty dry that I keep certain things in plastic bins when not in use.

I replaced the old 1960s power with a modern unit. It regulates very well. The dock power was also modernized before I started staying on the boat.
The primary danger would be that I can make the breaker switch off IF I have the water heater on and the fridge starts its cycle right when I am using the electric water boiler OR microwave OR stove.

So in these cases I do not use the o2. I only use it when I have the water heater shut off and am not going to be preparing food. I think the breaker popping while the o2 was on would be like removing the tray with the power supply plugged in problem that I've read. Might damage the o2. Not going to risk the Octane on that power. My win7 machine is a 750 watt dual quad xeon (8core) and it has run fine with the o2 with no problems over a year now. Though, like I said. I am very finicky about power usage while the computers are running and the o2 goes in this bin when I am not using it. The main thing is really the dust that sticks to the sw1600. My regular lg flat panel doesn't get that dusty but the sw1600 seems to grab dust. So I got a microfiber cloth to wipe it down once a month.

Octane 2x400O2 300O2 400Origin 200 2x250
Intuition
Octane

Threads: 13
Find Reply
12-10-2017, 07:14 PM
WE HAVE FUCKING SNOW!!! LOTS!!

Hey Ho Pip And Dandy!!!!!

Onyx2 :O2K_d-1: Origin 200 :tezro: Octane2 O2 Indigo Indy :320:
uunix
Octane

Threads: 27
Find Reply
12-11-2017, 12:00 AM
Same here in Ottawa. I often shovel images of some sort (usually simple logos) into the snow outside my bedroom window when we get lots. I might shine a projector out the window this year for a guide of where to shovel (other times I've done this it has been kind of messy). Wonder if I could do the SGI cube. I could actually do the logo font too, if I had the projector. Would take some keystoning. Hmm...

Onyx Origin 2000 Deskside Fuel Octane Octane Octane O2 O2 Indigo2 IMPACT Indigo2 Indigo2 Indy Indy
Dodoid
Site Admin and Developer.

Threads: 1
Find Reply
12-11-2017, 12:23 AM
We got some snow here in Virginia but less than 15cm, so not really much at all. The roads are hot and wet during snowfall and that prevents it from sticking. Still, I hope we get a lot later in the season - 40cm or more!

I'm the manager
projectkitsune.com

Tezro
Octane2
Indigo2 IMPACT
Indigo2
3x O2
3x Indy

Raion
Operator

Website Find Reply
12-11-2017, 12:40 AM
You guys up north are so lucky that you get snow at ground level! Smile

I really wish that that could happen down here in the south, as all we have are sunny days with shitloads of heat! Cry

I was born in South Africa, but my genetics are definitely European, as I loathe the African Sun and the heat associated with it. (I find myself longing for the cold)

[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Threads: 77
Website Find Reply
12-11-2017, 03:45 AM