SGI & Ian Mapleson In the News!
RE: SGI & Ian Mapleson In the News!
Very interesting... My wife is a 2 time breast cancer survivor and underwent a mastectomy both time (until she ran out of boobs) that lasted over 8 years. During the numerous hospital visits related to surgeries, imaging and ultrasounds, I find myself scanning the various procedure rooms to see if there are any SGIs. I was lucky on one visit to an older Hospital where she had to get some radiosity imaging done (where the inject the site with radio active stuff so it shows up on the 3D image scan). It looked like an 02 sitting at the bottom of the mobile cart that held the monitor. The monito was not sgi, but it looked like a white medical grade lcd. So it’s proof that SGIs are still used in medical imaging today.

Octane 2x400mhz R12000A Octane, MXE, 4gig Ram

1600SW O2 400mhz R12000 O2, 1gig Ram AV1 - 250gig Media' raid

Indy 180mhz R5000 Indy XZ 256mb ram

Intel i7-990x 3.46GHz Extreme 6 core / Quadro 5000 & 2 x Tesla C2075 / 24gig Ram

Belkin Omniview SE Pro 4 port KVM connecting all 4 systems displaying on one 27" BenQ Zowie monitor.
bjames
Octane

Threads: 50
Find Reply
10-03-2018, 04:38 AM
Indeed they certainly are; medical imaging and conrolling scanners is one of the most persistent continuing uses. I've sent parts and systems all over the world for this, including five complete O2s to a hospital in New York City. I know some GE medical systems used customised cases (such as the Indigo2 with a 7-slot backplane for dual-MaxIMPACT) and thus had nothing that looked like a normal SGI at all, but I get the impression later systems didn't do this so much (probably cheaper). The Barbados hospital uses a Fuel to control their scanner, but most seem to be using Indigo2 and O2.

Ian.
mapesdhs
O2

Threads: 2
Find Reply
10-03-2018, 08:44 AM
(10-03-2018, 08:44 AM)mapesdhs Wrote:  I know some GE medical systems used customised cases (such as the Indigo2 with a 7-slot backplane for dual-MaxIMPACT) and thus had nothing that looked like a normal SGI at all, but I get the impression later systems didn't do this so much (probably cheaper).
Wow, interesting, do you have an image of that case/machine? Did that thing use a "standard" Indigo2 system board or was this also a modification?

Indigo Indy Indigo2 IMPACT O2 Octane Octane2 Origin 200 = Origin 200 - Origin 200 = Origin 200

johnnym
O2

Find Reply
10-03-2018, 10:59 AM
(10-03-2018, 10:59 AM)johnnym Wrote:  
(10-03-2018, 08:44 AM)mapesdhs Wrote:  I know some GE medical systems used customised cases (such as the Indigo2 with a 7-slot backplane for dual-MaxIMPACT) and thus had nothing that looked like a normal SGI at all, but I get the impression later systems didn't do this so much (probably cheaper).
Wow, interesting, do you have an image of that case/machine? Did that thing use a "standard" Indigo2 system board or was this also a modification?

[Image: exotic_indigo2_front.jpg]

[Image: exotic_indigo2_back.jpg]

[Image: exotic_indigo2_back_closeup.jpg]

[Image: exotic_indigo2_inside.jpg]

[Image: GEMS_I2_Top_TriOx.jpg]

[Image: GEMS_Midplane_Close_TriOx.jpg]

GEMS == GE Medical Systems

There appears to be a custom GIO card installed (or two), probably to interface equipment. Looks like only the IMPACT riser card was different. Plus the case, and probably the power supply.

The Rackmount Indigo2. This appears to have the GEMS midplane and the option cards with the big D-sub connector as well, so it might just be another form factor of the GE version:

[Image: indigo2_rackmount_1.jpg]

[Image: indigo2_rackmount_2.jpg]

NB: wasn't able to embed these in the post, so have to serve them up from my own server.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2018, 11:48 AM by jan-jaap.)
jan-jaap
SGI Collector

Threads: 5
Website Find Reply
10-03-2018, 11:42 AM
(10-03-2018, 12:02 AM)epitaxial Wrote:  The machine was probably very expensive and it's cheaper and easier to buy a new Fuel instead of replacing the machine. At work we still have a CNC machine that gets fed programs via a Mac Classic (circa 1990).

Same at my work. No SGI machines, but we have about 12 CNC machines driven from Windows 95 consoles. Cost of replacing the consoles and/or CNC machines would be huge, so we keep a pile of spare parts (especially old IDE hard drives) and the machines just keep trucking along with surprising reliability.

That's the problem with industrial systems where the main equipment has a far longer service life than the OS/computer that is powering it. CNC machines can last for decades if properly maintained. Hence most companies just keep these old control machines firewalled (or off the network completely) and keep them in service as they are. Far more cost effective to do.

Indigo2 IMPACT R10000 195MHz, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT, 36GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Fuel R14000 600MHz, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
O2 in storage...
Trippynet
Indigo2 IMPACT

Threads: 1
Find Reply
10-03-2018, 01:16 PM
(10-03-2018, 11:42 AM)jan-jaap Wrote:  [...]

There appears to be a custom GIO card installed (or two), probably to interface equipment. Looks like only the IMPACT riser card was different. Plus the case, and probably the power supply.

The Rackmount Indigo2. This appears to have the GEMS midplane and the option cards with the big D-sub connector as well, so it might just be another form factor of the GE version:
[...]
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Very beige...  Wink

From the 5th image it looks like there's one additional GIO64 port and one additional port to provide power for GIO cards on this special backplane compared to a "standard" IMPACT capable backplane. I originally asked about the system board as I wondered how they could drive three additional GIO64 slots from the standard system board, but five GIO64 slots in total seems to be doable. A different placement of the PSU and drives and rotating the resulting case by 90 degrees could have resulted in a more cube like case. That could have been a nice link between Indigo and Octane. Smile

And assuming that the PSU in the last image is a "standard" IMPACT capable PSU, these PSUs seem to have a lot of headroom if you think of supporting two Maximum IMPACT graphics cards in such a machine - if that was possible.

Indigo Indy Indigo2 IMPACT O2 Octane Octane2 Origin 200 = Origin 200 - Origin 200 = Origin 200

johnnym
O2

Find Reply
10-03-2018, 05:57 PM
(10-03-2018, 05:57 PM)johnnym Wrote:  
(10-03-2018, 11:42 AM)jan-jaap Wrote:  [...]

[...]
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Very beige...  Wink

From the 5th image it looks like there's one additional GIO64 port and one additional port to provide power for GIO cards on this special backplane compared to a "standard" IMPACT capable backplane. I originally asked about the system board as I wondered how they could drive three additional GIO64 slots from the standard system board, but five GIO64 slots in total seems to be doable. A different placement of the PSU and drives and rotating the resulting case by 90 degrees could have resulted in a more cube like case. That could have been a nice link between Indigo and Octane. Smile

And assuming that the PSU in the last image is a "standard" IMPACT capable PSU, these PSUs seem to have a lot of headroom if you think of supporting two Maximum IMPACT graphics cards in such a machine - if that was possible.

These are photos I downloaded from a now-defunct site (schrotthal.de). They are from at least three different systems:

#1 - #4 are one system with the "mystery" card in bottom and top GIO slots, and what appears to be HighImpact graphics (single head).

#5 and # show the GIO side of another system with dual Solid Impact and an EISA (network?) card and several non-original slot cover brackets

Finally, the rackmount system has two of the "mystery" cards and High + Solid Impact graphics.

So, while this may have space for dual MaxImpact, with two of the seven slots taken by the 'mystery' cards there's room for at most a High + Max Impact configuration, and it seems from the photos that less than that was good enough too.
jan-jaap
SGI Collector

Threads: 5
Website Find Reply
10-03-2018, 08:50 PM