Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SGI & Ian Mapleson In the News!
RE: SGI & Ian Mapleson In the News!
(09-30-2018, 11:07 PM)niwe Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 10:23 PM)mapesdhs Wrote: they use Fuel systems for UV scanning of PCBs as they come off the production line. They've bought several systems from me for this purpos

What is written in the article sounded like EDA, and with EDA we mean the software to design of a PCB. Which IRIX software has ever existed for this?
No, this has to do with quality control in production.

You assemble to components on the PCB with a pick & place machine, then it's (wave) soldered. Before handing the finished product to the customer, the assembly company will check the finished product. The can be done with X-ray but also using a camera and OCR (make sure components are placed correctly). Some things cannot be automated and have to be done manually. It also depends on the value of the card and the size of the production run.

I've visited such production facilities several times and have seen this myself, though I never recognized an IRIX system in action.
jan-jaap Offline
Octane

Threads: 4
Find Reply
10-01-2018, 08:26 AM
(09-30-2018, 11:07 PM)niwe Wrote: What is written in the article sounded like EDA, and with EDA we mean the software to design of a PCB. Which IRIX software has ever existed for this?

The article was not intended to be at that level of detail about a specific use of SGIs, I therefore didn't explain it to that degree to the author as it wasn't specifically what he was asking me about. I generalised. Read my sentence in the article, it doesn't refer to EDA or the manner in which SGIs are used for PCB manufacturing. I'm afraid you're inferring more than is warranted from the text. Smile

I think it ok to mention that the Fuel systems used are fitted with a DM6 card, Firewire, 2-port GigE and have storage connected to a 2-port LSI U320 card. They always have V12 with DCD and are never less than 700MHz. Most of them are in Israel.

Ian.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018, 01:56 PM by mapesdhs.)
mapesdhs Offline
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
10-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Ah, ok. Understood. 
Why do they use SGI for this?
niwe Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
Find Reply
10-01-2018, 10:42 AM
(10-01-2018, 10:42 AM)niwe Wrote: Ah, ok. Understood. 

I was told the systems process image data from an SD resolution camera, though how they came to choose SGI for this task in the first place I don't know. Ditto why an abbatoir chose an O2 for a similar purpose, scanning pig carcasses to more precisely control cutting machines based on fat/muscle position data (and thus more accurate payments to farmers). Maybe in each case they were able to adapt some piece of existing sw from another industry, or maybe the decided the integrated dev/hw environment of SGIs was more suitable and reliable for writing their own custom sw. In the case of textile factories producing very large patterned carpets, reliability was definitely a factor, as the datasets were quite large (2GB or more, vs. just a few K for the typical Stoll/SIRIX users I work with), thus Octane was the system of choice, with O2 for lesser work. I heard similar comments from Chevron in Nigeria, the ability of SGIs back then to reliably process large datasets, but also do it fast, mere seconds for a 750MB GIS volume set according to the Chevron guy (they had a POWER Onyx for larger datasets).

The strange thing is just how broad these uses have been and still are, yet in the past many of them were never part of SGI's PR materials. Sometimes something might get a mention in Performance magazine or something, but rarely anything in significant detail, not like the Application Product Briefs SGI use to print. Anyway, I mentioned these things to the article author because today it's these continuing industrial uses of SGIs that sustain the often high value for various parts which are all too frequently the same items sought by hobbyists. However, these things come and go, eventually the demand will fade, perhaps something else come to the fore.

Ian.
mapesdhs Offline
O2

Find Reply
10-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Talking about machine-vision (AI algorithms), the best comes with NVIDIA Tegra K1 SoC and uses the same Kepler computing core designed into supercomputers around the world. This gives you a fully functional CUDA platform for quickly developing and deploying compute-intensive systems for computer vision, robotics, medicine, and more.

But you need a modern platform for this, ARM, X86, ... this kind of stuff.

I speculate they use SGI for a sort of commercial offer they got cheaper than engineering a modern product.
niwe Offline
Banned

Threads: 3
Find Reply
10-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Great article. I think I first discovered Nekochan around 2006-2007. I was working in Hollywood at the now dissolved Eden FX on shows like Surface, Lost, Threshold etc.
It didn't join until 2009 when I finally bought an o2 off ebay.

I didn't really dive in and learn how to use Irix overall until late 2016 onwards. Nekochan was integral in that learning. Without which I do not think i'd have made much if any progress whatsoever. When Neko went down I figured it would return but in the back of my thoughts I thought... well.... Fox and Dodoid have Irix.cc so there was a general feeling that it would be able to pick up the torch. So far so good.

The article reminded me of the d1. I had forgot about it over my busy summer work. Wonder how it is coming along?
Octane 2x400O2 300O2 400Origin 200 2x250
Intuition Offline
Octane

Threads: 9
Find Reply
10-02-2018, 04:13 AM
D1 is still progressing, albeit slowly. Some of the major software roadblocks have finally been resolved or at least partially mitigated in the past few days. Still further from a working product than I would like, but I can now confidently say that the poor GUI performance I was seeing earlier this year is caused by a hardware bandwidth limitation, and I've been working on more efficient software use of that limited bandwidth with promising results so far.

Stay tuned. IRIXOne has priority right now, but the D1 is still happening.
Onyx Origin 2000 Deskside Fuel Octane Octane Octane O2 O2 Indigo2 IMPACT Indigo2 Indigo2 Indy Indy
Dodoid Offline
Core Contributor

Discord: Dodoid#7607
Find Reply
10-02-2018, 05:20 AM
This is fantastic news. Kudos for all who was mentioned in the article.
Octane 2x400mhz R12000A Octane, MXE, 4gig Ram

1600SW O2 400mhz R12000 O2, 1gig Ram AV1 - 250gig Media' raid

Indy 180mhz R5000 Indy XZ 256mb ram

Intel i7-990x 3.46GHz Extreme 6 core / Quadro 5000 & 2 x Tesla C2075 / 24gig Ram

Belkin Omniview SE Pro 4 port KVM connecting all 4 systems displaying on one 27" BenQ Zowie monitor.
bjames Offline
Octane

Threads: 42
Find Reply
10-02-2018, 03:27 PM
(10-01-2018, 10:42 AM)niwe Wrote: Ah, ok. Understood. 

The machine was probably very expensive and it's cheaper and easier to buy a new Fuel instead of replacing the machine. At work we still have a CNC machine that gets fed programs via a Mac Classic (circa 1990).
epitaxial Offline
O2

Threads: 2
Find Reply
10-03-2018, 12:02 AM
Yup - any time you have a large, expensive chunk of machinery attached to a computer, the extent to which people will move heaven and earth to keep that computer going rises in direct proportion with the cost of the machine it's running.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Nord Lead 2, Behringer Model D
commodorejohn Offline
Octane

Threads: 6
Find Reply
10-03-2018, 12:19 AM