Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it me or is Nekoware's GCC 4.7.1 kinda broken?
is it me or is Nekoware's GCC 4.7.1 kinda broken?
So I noticed nekoware's 4.7.1 has a problem with -lpthreads/pthread.h, now I noticed it also seems to have a problem with sys/time.h

Is Nekoware's 4.7.1 to be avoided or something?  I must have missed this discussion on Nekochan.  Is that why LarBob has been working on compiling a new version of 4.7.1?
gijoe77 Offline
Tezro

Threads: 23
Find Reply
09-28-2018, 01:46 PM
RE: is it me or is Nekoware's GCC 4.7.1 kinda broken?
The entire 4.7.x builds have issues with the pthread libraries. It isn't the build of GCC, it is the state of decay in GCC from that era. Honestly I may even discount GCC 4.7.x entirely from irisware due to this.

Really Nekoware is use at your own risk at this point. It's not being updated unless someone appears wanting to take up the reins to that broken mess.
I'm the manager
Besides irix.cc, I run these sites:
projectkitsune.com
kazuo.io

Tezro
Octane2
Indigo2 IMPACT
Indigo2
3x O2
3x Indy

Raion Offline
Administrator

Threads: 46
Discord: Umbra#0893
Website Find Reply
09-28-2018, 03:04 PM
i would not use nekoware's gcc 4.7.1 . It has given me grief when porting stuff, with the same pthread problems popping up.

I agree that Nekoware lost its appeal some time ago because of the lack of quality control and testing and generally being hard to manage.
I do still develop nekoware packages, but i focus more on the 'getting packaging and testing right' and add support for mips3 systems so people with earlier workstation series can still get decent openssh/gmake/perl binaries in IRIX native package format.

The release notes and patches inside the nekoware packages are also still valuable today in helping porting software.
dexter1 Offline
Global Moderator

Threads: 8
Find Reply
09-28-2018, 08:16 PM
That's part of the reason I've launched a bitbucket repo with this purpose to have those release notes preserved. I'm working on it slowly, I was concerned about the VICE Motherboard article, but now that's pretty much fizzled out with a pop instead of a KA BOOM I can work with Dodoid on IRIXOne first, and irisware second.

If either of you want access, PM me with an email and I'll give you write access to the repo. Please submit the changes as pull requests:

https://bitbucket.org/projectkitsune/irisware/src
I'm the manager
Besides irix.cc, I run these sites:
projectkitsune.com
kazuo.io

Tezro
Octane2
Indigo2 IMPACT
Indigo2
3x O2
3x Indy

Raion Offline
Administrator

Threads: 46
Discord: Umbra#0893
Website Find Reply
09-28-2018, 08:52 PM
you don't want me, I suck Smile
gijoe77 Offline
Tezro

Threads: 23
Find Reply
09-28-2018, 09:38 PM