Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where the SGI Fuel came from (based on a true story)
Where the SGI Fuel came from (based on a true story)
Disclaimer: the Fuel is in fact humorously based on the carcass of the SGI 230, but the story here is purely for comedic purposes. Any similarities to what actually happened at SGI are a mere coincidence.

It was the year Y2K. SGI decided to release an IBM PC clone on a clone motherboard, the SGI Visual Workstation 230!
http://hardware.localhost.nl/pictures/20..._board.jpg

Customers were happy and in total awe at how much performance was packed in that VIA motherboard and conventional graphics, the machine was a hit; "now we can use Microsoft Windows instead of that pesky Irix operating system" they told themselves, while they struggled to work with their NTFS file system and System registry inherited from Windows 3.1. Richard Belluzzo was proud, not only did he get his cheque from Bill Gates, he now had the whole SGI community running with his preferred OS of choice, Windows! Later that evening Belluzzo patted the SGI 230 on his office desk and quietly murmured "good job little buddy, you'll make me successful".

Two years passed and one SGI manager was fiddling his thumbs "we're trying to retire those pesky Irix based SGIs but they're still vaguely profitable so we have to release something" he thought to himself. "I know!" he shouted with glee, "we can re-use the SGI 230 chassis and stuff in a cheap MIPS board and a few hot running parts that the anemic Pentium 3 case was never designed to handle!" He rushed to Richard Belluzo (who was still using his Visual Workstation 230 for his personal taxes and corporate email) and got approval for the Fuel, Belluzo heaved a sigh: "make it a quick production, I don't want us wasting that much time in furthering Irix, it's just a dead-end--Microsoft Windows will forever be the dominant platform: just like Novell NetWare".

One lone SGI engineer was tasked with quickly slapping on a front panel, "but sir what colour should I choose?" the Engineer asked while fiddling with the CAD drawings on his RS/6000 in CATIA. "Make it red, bright red, so that customers will be instantly attracted to it, and give it curves lots of curves". The CAD Engineer followed his boss' orders and finalized the finishing touches in CATIA. Meanwhile he noticed that the TDP was not suitable for this otherwise low-end chassis, the Dallas chips were of low quality and all of the surface mount capacitors were just a disaster waiting to happen--worse yet the cheapest fans were slated to be used as well. The engineer bursted into Belluzzo's office: "sir sir! We can't ship the Fuel, it's awful! They will suffer from thermal issues, IC failures, capacitor failu~~" Belluzzo cut in "I don't care! It's just a stupid MIPS computer, SGI's future is with MICROSOFT, MICROSOFT is the way to the future. I don't know how many times I've told you stupid engineers, we're doing things the Novell NetWare way. I am the CEO and you will do as I say".

And that's how the SGI Fuel became stuffed inside an SGI 230 chassis with poorly sourced parts.

Fin.
"Windows 10 is terrible for any computer. It's like meth. It's just bad for everyone, and the only people who like it are pretty fucked up" - Praetor
micrex22 Offline
PS/2 it!

Threads: 6
Find Reply
09-26-2018, 05:44 AM
RE: Where the SGI Fuel came from (based on a true story)
Wait, the same guy was ultimately responsible for Itanium? Doesn't that explain a bunch.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Nord Lead 2, Behringer Model D
commodorejohn Offline
PDP-X

Find Reply
09-26-2018, 06:04 AM
(09-26-2018, 05:44 AM)micrex22 Wrote: Two years passed and one SGI manager was fiddling his thumbs "we're trying to retire those pesky Irix based SGIs but they're still vaguely profitable so we have to release something" he thought to himself. "I know!" he shouted with glee, "we can re-use the SGI 230 chassis and stuff in a cheap MIPS board and a few hot running parts that the anemic Pentium 3 case was never designed to handle!"
Hey, that would explain, why Jan-Jaap's prototype Fuel is of blue colour. I once fetched a VW 230 from a dumpster but later returned it, as its guts were pretty boring and the system board wasn't screwed into it but only "fixed" by some metal noses. I later noticed the similarities to the Fuel case but didn't conclude that its case is actually the same.
Indigo Indy Indigo2 IMPACT O2 Octane Octane2 Origin 200 = Origin 200 - Origin 200 = Origin 200

johnnym Offline
O2

Threads: 2
Find Reply
09-26-2018, 06:33 PM
The 330 and 550 also share the same case.
Hey Ho Pip And Dandy!!!!!

Onyx2 :O2K_d-1: Origin 200 :tezro: Octane2 O2 Indigo Indy :320:
uunix Offline
Octane

Threads: 26
Find Reply
09-26-2018, 06:34 PM
Honestly, with how things happen in the work place, I doubt this story is too far removed from reality. I could see it happening.

Interesting to see the similarities though. I never really noticed before.

IRIS Crimson  R4K | Elan Graphics   Indigo R3K | Entry Graphics (LG2)   Indigo2  R10K | Solid IMPACT
CB_HK Offline
Octane

Threads: 10
Find Reply
09-27-2018, 05:39 AM
(09-27-2018, 05:39 AM)CB_HK Wrote: Honestly, with how things happen in the work place, I doubt this story is too far removed from reality. I could see it happening.

Interesting to see the similarities though. I never really noticed before.

Yeah! I was just browsing on ebay and nearly fell off my chair realizing the case was the same. No wonder why the Fuel looks like an ATX case, it was--at some point, to house low-powered Pentium 3s or whatever they shoved in there.
"Windows 10 is terrible for any computer. It's like meth. It's just bad for everyone, and the only people who like it are pretty fucked up" - Praetor
micrex22 Offline
PS/2 it!

Find Reply
09-30-2018, 02:33 AM