NEC PC-9801CS
NEC PC-9801CS
This machine was purchased from our friends at The Hackery less than a month ago but was on my radar for the last year.
The exact model is the PC-9801CS5. It is an all-in-one machine. I can verify the system boots as the logic tray was put into a second CS and tested but this machine has power supply issues and will not yet turn on by itself yet.
All I knew when I first saw it was the power issue and that it had no keyboard or mouse. I returned from Japan earlier this month and brought back a suitable keyboard and supposedly a regular Microsoft InPort mouse can be adapted to work however the pinout for the adapter eludes me at the moment.
I have now pulled the machine apart and verified the specs here match the hardware inside the system, plus a 4mb ram card is installed. I was not aware of the onboard audio at the time but while I was in Japan I had purchased a Sound Orchestra board as well as an IFC-NN SCSI2 board and a 4mb EMS cBus board in case it was needed.

My question is that Raion's stickied post indicates the 9801's were 16-bit however this machine has a 32-bit 386SX. Is still a 32-bit machine in that regard? Additionally are power supply issues known with these machines?

---------- CelGen Corporation ----------
IRIS Crimson Onyx Personal Iris Personal Iris Origin 2000 Deskside Origin 200 Origin 200 Origin 200 Octane Indigo Indigo Indigo O2 1600SW Indigo2 Indigo2 Indigo2 IMPACT Indigo2 IMPACT Indy Indy
  CelNet, CLGN 5 - CelTV, CelPhone, CelGen, CelGen Studios, CelGen Technologies, CelShop
"Where Yesterday's Technology Lives For Tomorrow's Fascination."
Pentium
CISC Master Race

Threads: 3
Website Find Reply
08-31-2018, 04:51 AM
RE: NEC PC-9801CS
Some 9801s are 32-bit, I have one called the 9801BX.

I'm afraid I can't say whether these do have common PSU issues.

I'm the manager
Besides IRIX Network, I run these sites:
projectkitsune.com

Tezro
Octane2
Indigo2 IMPACT
Indigo2
3x O2
3x Indy

Raion
Administrator

Threads: 66
Website Find Reply
08-31-2018, 07:12 AM
One thing I can however say after pulling it apart is that the audio section uses miniature through-hole radials for capacitors and there's a whack of surface mount types around the DC jack. They are all leaking quite badly.

---------- CelGen Corporation ----------
IRIS Crimson Onyx Personal Iris Personal Iris Origin 2000 Deskside Origin 200 Origin 200 Origin 200 Octane Indigo Indigo Indigo O2 1600SW Indigo2 Indigo2 Indigo2 IMPACT Indigo2 IMPACT Indy Indy
  CelNet, CLGN 5 - CelTV, CelPhone, CelGen, CelGen Studios, CelGen Technologies, CelShop
"Where Yesterday's Technology Lives For Tomorrow's Fascination."
Pentium
CISC Master Race

Threads: 3
Website Find Reply
08-31-2018, 01:58 PM
(08-31-2018, 01:58 PM)Pentium Wrote:  One thing I can however say after pulling it apart is that the audio section uses miniature through-hole radials for capacitors and there's a whack of surface mount types around the DC jack. They are all leaking quite badly.

I'd just recap the whole thing honestly. That's what I did with all of my Personal System/2s. Once it's done then they can continue running for another 30 years, lol.
micrex22
PS/2 it!

Threads: 8
Find Reply
09-01-2018, 11:46 PM