A modern browser on Irix
A modern browser on Irix
Hi, I was wondering if there are anyone working on porting a newer web browser for Irix? If so, where is the project, I would like to contribute. If not, I will consider getting one up and running Smile

/Espen

O2 Octane2 :O2K_d-1: :O2K_d-1:
workingclasshacker
O2

Threads: 5
Find Reply
08-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Re: A modern browser on Irix
last effort I am aware of was Firefox3, and from what I recall reading on nekochan it was a real pain
gijoe77
Tezro

Threads: 27
Find Reply
08-12-2018, 11:46 PM
We are stuck with Firefox 3 and Dillo 3 as the most up to date browsers for a few reasons:

Firefox requires a later GTK2 port and a lot of other crap that is just a pain to update and port. Additionally, with Firefox moving to Rust that makes it 100% infeasible to maintain or spend anymore time on.

WebKit is possible. It would be difficult as both GTK and QT toolkits are obsolete on IRIX plus shit like dbus doesnt work.

The best idea is either a simple html5 browser, or a WebKit browser that can use motif or fltk or another common IRIX compatible toolkit.

The IRIX toolchain has three big issues:

No modern compiler. GCC support was removed after 4.7.4

IRIX LD linker is BAD and GNU ld is shit. we would need a new linker, either gold linker or Solaris linker.

IRIX has ancient libs. This can be mitigated to some degree with libs from a modern BSD.

I'm the manager
Besides IRIX Network, I run these sites:
projectkitsune.com

Tezro
Octane2
Indigo2 IMPACT
Indigo2
3x O2
3x Indy

Raion
Operator

Threads: 68
Website Find Reply
08-13-2018, 02:13 AM
To be honest, you might be better off trying to work on and/or improve WebRenderingProxy. This is a tool that runs on a modern machine and can download and render webpages before turning them into a static image with an imagemap for the links. You take an ancient browser on IRIX, set the proxy to your WRP machine and every time you request a webpage, the WRP machine does the rendering and your old browser just needs to display an image/image map.

Problem is, I could never get it to work properly for me - it's very much a simple hobbyist project with little/no support. Hence, a more solid/flexible version would be useful and would allow a fair degree of modern web browsing under IRIX (static content only obviously).

Indigo2 IMPACT R10000 195MHz, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT, 36GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Fuel R14000 600MHz, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
O2 in storage...
Trippynet
Indigo2 IMPACT

Threads: 1
Find Reply
08-13-2018, 11:33 AM