AUTODESK FLAME 2008 SERVICE PACK 6
RE: AUTODESK FLAME 2008 SERVICE PACK 6
I solved this problem by reinstalling Flame and following the following instructions: (When you uninstall Flame, make sure that you uninstall the autodesk programs such as backburner as well, as you will have trouble with the new Flame install if you don't. )

Make sure that your machine has a static IP address (this may effect your machine's internet connectivity) and don't make use of "root" at all when you deal with Flame. (Besides for installing Flame of course.)

Then login to flame account and in xwsh shell window:
su
cd /usr/discreet/sw
./sw_stop
./sw_config
then add/create drive
save and quit
./sw_start
./sw_mount all
partition should be mounted, if not (you check it with ./sw_df):

[Image: rZbyrYx.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2018, 10:59 AM by Irinikus.)
Irinikus
Connoisseur

Threads: 77
Website Find Reply
08-28-2018, 10:50 AM
(08-28-2018, 10:50 AM)Irinikus Wrote:  I solved this problem by reinstalling Flame and following the following instructions: (When you uninstall Flame, make sure that you uninstall the autodesk programs such as backburner as well, as you will have trouble with the new Flame install if you don't. )

Make sure that your machine has a static IP address (this may effect your machine's internet connectivity) and don't make use of "root" at all when you deal with Flame. (Besides for installing Flame of course.)

Then login to flame account and in xwsh shell window:
su
cd /usr/discreet/sw
./sw_stop
./sw_config
then add/create drive
save and quit
./sw_start
./sw_mount all
partition should be mounted, if not (you check it with ./sw_df):
Hi Irinikus,
Thanks for the response. I just tried it again 2 minutes ago and I can't get past step 6 "save quit" it generates the same error message each time being,
"saving device information failed. loctl SWR SET CONFIG failed for partition 0 (/dev/swr00) Disk 4 (adapter 4, target 17) appears twice in the data disk list for partition id 0"
Doesn't matter which disk you make the parity or spare or even none at all, it still generates the same error message.
I have to get past this step because I can't use the other TP4600 array because the drives are only SATA 7200 RPM and they can't sustain the throughput for HD. If you try you just get "too many frame errors" messages in smoke/flame and recording stops.
stuck!
sgi-enthusiast
O2

Threads: 1
Find Reply
08-28-2018, 11:40 AM
sgi-enth.. do you by any chance have the ability to insert a drive into the machine itself (internal drive slot) and if so, with the arrays disconnected create a stone from that?

If you can and it works, then I'd do a reboot with arrays attached, start up sw_config as you do, clearAll-create the existing, set the off-sets to zero and try selecting your array drives again with add-create..

These things are pain in the butts, I recall having this issue with a SUN StorEdge and I had to do all sorts of strange things. I sometimes believe that whatever holds the stoneFS information, sometimes does not get cleared down.

Just something worth trying.

Hey Ho Pip And Dandy!!!!!

Onyx2 :O2K_d-1: Origin 200 :tezro: Octane2 O2 Indigo Indy :320:
uunix
Octane

Threads: 27
Find Reply
08-28-2018, 12:27 PM
(08-28-2018, 12:27 PM)uunix Wrote:  sgi-enth..  do you by any chance have the ability to insert a drive into the machine itself (internal drive slot) and if so, with the arrays disconnected create a stone from that?

If you can and it works, then I'd do a reboot with arrays attached, start up sw_config as you do, clearAll-create the existing, set the off-sets to zero and try selecting your array drives again with add-create..

These things are pain in the butts, I recall having this issue with a SUN StorEdge and I had to do all sorts of strange things. I sometimes believe that whatever holds the stoneFS information, sometimes does not get cleared down.

Just something worth trying.

Hi uunix,
I added a 300Gb SCSI back into the Tezro second slot, booted up with the FC trays off and ran sw_config. I successfully added the drive and saved the partition zero.
I then shut down, powered on the FC trays (leaving the 300Gb internal in place) and booted up the system.
I followed your suggestions and irrespective of the way I configured the drives (parity, spare, green) I still get the same error message when trying to save.
No luck.
Any other ideas I can try?
sgi-enthusiast
O2

Find Reply
08-29-2018, 09:45 AM
What about starting the machine without the 300GB internal drive, so that the stone then becomes broke and blank.

Also have you just tried adding just one drive from the array, no spare, no parity.

[Edit]
Think many people understand how temperament sw_config can be at times. I have just tried to add a second device (SCSI external array) as a second partition and it complained about the first partition being too big.. even though, the first partition has been up and running for months... ARGGGGGG!! So I gave up, after all I was only doing it to check the throughput.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2018, 10:59 AM by uunix.)
uunix
Octane

Find Reply
08-29-2018, 09:57 AM
(08-29-2018, 09:57 AM)uunix Wrote:  What about starting the machine without the 300GB internal drive, so that the stone then becomes broke and blank.

Also have you just tried adding just one drive from the array, no spare, no parity.

[Edit]
Think many people understand how temperament sw_config can be at times. I have just tried to add a second device (SCSI external array) as a second partition and it complained about the first partition being too big.. even though, the first partition has been up and running for months... ARGGGGGG!! So I gave up, after all I was only doing it to check the throughput.

I came across this info while I was going through my discreet folder, not sure if this will help, but it refers to the /etc/swr-license file and running "sw_set_license" command to enable /etc/swr-license (or at least that's what I think it means, I haven't gotten around to running a multi-disk stone yet so haven't played with this (yet)) 

Code:
Then I found this file: (it's only one line + carriage return) 
Must be copy in a file name /etc/swr-license 

champrosgilfdejkuvCHAMPROSGILFDEJKUVulmsrfamrukkkkkkkkukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkku 

Here is the original nfo: 
"Swr-license tricks your SGI into thinking your disk array has discreet-serialized drives in it. You can now format any disk array as a stone using the sw_config tool. 

Usage: 

Drop swr-license into /etc and reboot. When the system comes up, run /usr/discreet/swr/sw_config. Drives may be set as data or parity drives--stone uses software RAID 3. Make sure you have the stone date patch applied. 

Create your stone array and start your discreet application of choice (flint, flame, effect, smoke, etc.). 

Enjoy." 

It's not work for me if I only do that. 

I have then ran the sw_set_license (look man help) command found in /usr/discreet/sw/tools (you have to install completely stone&wire) and It's work for me with several disks
gijoe77
Tezro

Threads: 28
Find Reply
09-01-2018, 09:22 AM
Hi uunix,
I gave your suggestions above a try and still get the same result. It seems that if I add just one drive (either an internal drive or external on the FC tray) it always saves. But as soon as you add a second or subsequent drive, it barfs and gives the same error message about the drive being used twice in the data disk list for partition zero.
I do have the sw_license file in place and I assume if that wasn't you would get the "unlicensed" message in each disk icon.

I also dug out an old SUN SCSI disk array that had 6x300Gb drives in it and connected that up to the external SCSI port and gave it a go. But as above, the first drive you can save ok but second onward also result in the same message.
this has got me totally stumped as the previous configuration using the SGI TP4600 unit as 5x 1Gb WD drives in it and it it saved without any complaints!
My next step is my brother is bringing one of his Octane2 2008 flame systems to connect the trays to and see if we can persuade sw_config to save a config off on those. Fingers crossed!
Cheers
sgi-enthusiast
O2

Find Reply
09-02-2018, 02:04 AM
Did you ever get SW_Config to accept your drive? I just revisited this issue (Error when trying to save partition information to disk) as you are. I even disconnected all SCSI devices from the system (except for root drive), then added a 36gig to internal SCSI ID2 and still cannot get the disk to work. I copied the SWR_License file to /etc/ and still not working.

the only progress I got is when I select the 36gig drive as Partition 0 from sw_config, and "keep" filesystem instead of "Create" filesystem. The drive setting can then be saved without error messages. But when I start Flame, it errors out and says there is no VOL or Filesystem and cannot compute disk space, and only allows you to exit the application.

Octane 2x400mhz R12000A Octane, MXE, 4gig Ram

1600SW O2 400mhz R12000 O2, 1gig Ram AV1 - 250gig Media' raid

Indy 180mhz R5000 Indy XZ 256mb ram

Intel i7-990x 3.46GHz Extreme 6 core / Quadro 5000 & 2 x Tesla C2075 / 24gig Ram

Belkin Omniview SE Pro 4 port KVM connecting all 4 systems displaying on one 27" BenQ Zowie monitor.
bjames
Octane

Threads: 50
Find Reply
09-24-2018, 05:25 PM
(09-24-2018, 05:25 PM)bjames Wrote:  Did you ever get SW_Config to accept your drive?   I just revisited this issue (Error when trying to save partition information to disk) as you are.  I even disconnected all SCSI devices from the system (except for root drive), then added a 36gig to internal SCSI ID2 and still cannot get the disk to work.  I copied the SWR_License file to /etc/  and still not working.

the only progress I got is when I select the 36gig drive as Partition 0 from sw_config, and "keep" filesystem instead of "Create" filesystem.  The drive setting can then be saved without error messages.  But when I start Flame, it errors out and says there is no VOL or Filesystem and cannot compute disk space, and only allows you to exit the application.

There is a flame / smoke start up option that initializes the stoneFS, can't recall it off the top of my head. Worth a shot?

flame -v

I have my doubts though.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 05:47 PM by uunix.)
uunix
Octane

Find Reply
09-24-2018, 05:39 PM