Hiatus
Hiatus
I'm putting the project on hiatus for a variety of reasons:

1. I've been soloing it and nobody else seems remotely interested enough to give me motivation to continue it.
2. I'm in over my head. I'm tired of spending too much time on something that I feel I can't finish
3. I'm tired of being asked "When?", as that isn't something I can answer
4. I'm focusing on documentation and areas of the community I can actually work on.

As of today, it's indefinitely on hiatus. I'm leaving the mercurial repo up for anyone to join/commit to, just ask me. I'm not actively going to work on it or support it any longer.

Questions, comments etc are below. I may still find stuff I can port and occasionally update the repo with discoveries. It'll take a lot of effort to actually fix the situation on IRIX, and I don't have it in me to run a site, run my other projects, and do this, all while holding down a job. The project's files are still available under an MIT license unless otherwise stated.

Raion
Operator

Threads: 97
Website Find Reply
05-08-2019, 12:14 AM
RE: Hiatus
That's a shame, eh? Also a shame to see no other responses.

I'm interested in new software, but I lack the ability to make any meaningful contribution to it, other than money.

Octane - Octane: 2x360MHZ CPU - 1GB RAM - EMXI graphics - sold.

O2  - O2: R5000 180MHZ CPU - 128MB RAM - being sold.

Indigo2 IMPACT  - Indigo2: R10000 195MHZ CPU - 128MB RAM - MaxIMPACT graphics.

Octane2  - Octane II: 2x600MHZ R12000 CPU - 2.5GB RAM - V12 Graphics - DCD
Krokodil
Octane II

Threads: 0
Find Reply
05-18-2019, 09:30 PM
RE: Hiatus
It is. Some people are hell bent on pkgsrc. Some want to do gentoo prefix etc.

I had very good reasons for trying to roll something new, but nobody wants to start from new, and admittedly, I'm not a good enough developer to do it by myself:

nekoware has a lot of dependency baggage and broken packages.

pkgsrc means forgoing optimization, light dependencies etc. pkgsrc isn't flexible when it comes to trimming dependencies

prefix is python-based, so that means you have to deal with the constraints of python, which is very slow on these machines.

Raion
Operator

Threads: 97
Website Find Reply
05-19-2019, 02:19 AM