Octane: PCI Bridge Error
Octane: PCI Bridge Error
Hi there,

yesterday my Octane displayed a very strange error "Error msg:"/hw/node/xtalk/15/pci PCI BRIDGE ERROR" and as of today it won't display anything on the screen (13w3->VGA a la Michael Pastras), it won`t power down anymore unless the power cord gets unplugged, and not even console messages appear when connected in console mode.

Looking for the error message I came up with the following link, to my surprise:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/...cale=en_US

I remember the xtalk device number was 15 in my case so I think that's it, the motherboard is dead. And with it my porting efforts too (was working on the GemRB port to claim the bounty).

If you have any other idea, please let me know.

On a side note: I remember reading some threads/posts about people for and against IRIX emulation. Just for those against it: you may have tons of money to buy another used machine every time something like this happens. Most people don't, or are not willing to shell out 500 bucks each time, for dying hardware. The only two solutions to keep a legacy platform alive are software emulation or building your own hardware. Typically, the former precedes the latter. So any position against software emulation is narrow minded and totally out of place when it comes to legacy (!) software/hardware.
TruHobbyist
Octane

Threads: 9
Find Reply
03-11-2019, 08:10 AM
RE: Octane: PCI Bridge Error
Basically,  that document says "reseat and if the problem persists, replace".

I've seen my fair share of these, especially if you start adding options to a system, occupying XIO slots that were unused before. I think I've torn both my Octanes down at some point to remove the backplane from the system and thoroughly clean the contact areas where the compression connectors mate with pure alcohol. Make sure you use a lint-free cloth so you don't leave debris behind. And don't touch the XIO connectors on the boards themselves.
jan-jaap
SGI Collector

Threads: 11
Website Find Reply
03-11-2019, 08:53 AM
Already reseated the system module, without success. Tearing down an Octane sounds like a lot of fun, I`ll try that.

Thanks jan-jaap.
TruHobbyist
Octane

Find Reply
03-11-2019, 09:42 AM
(03-11-2019, 09:42 AM)TruHobbyist Wrote:  Already reseated the system module, without success. Tearing down an Octane sounds like a lot of fun, I`ll try that.

Thanks jan-jaap.

One hint: when you put the backplane back in the chassis, do not completely fasten the screws until the mainboard and graphics assembly are in. Otherwise you risk alignment problems.
jan-jaap
SGI Collector

Threads: 11
Website Find Reply
03-11-2019, 10:21 AM
(03-11-2019, 10:21 AM)jan-jaap Wrote:  
(03-11-2019, 09:42 AM)TruHobbyist Wrote:  Already reseated the system module, without success. Tearing down an Octane sounds like a lot of fun, I`ll try that.

Thanks jan-jaap.

One hint: when you put the backplane back in the chassis, do not completely fasten the screws until the mainboard and graphics assembly are in. Otherwise you risk alignment problems.

Thanks for this one.

I forgot to tell the Octane does not power off anymore, no matter how often I press the power button or reset button. I can only plug in the power cord to turn it on, or plug it out (off). Have you ever had this symptom?
TruHobbyist
Octane

Find Reply
03-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Ok, I've disassembled the whole thing and reassembled it. It was very dirty but not worse than a PC that's not been cleaned for years.

So far no luck, it turns on when plugged in but that's about it. I think I'll give up on this and look for a way to get another machine anytime in the near future.

What strikes me most is the fact that I had the workstation running 16 hours a day for the last 3 days (after a year or so without use) and then suddenly it popped up the PCI bridge error. I would have expected much *more* robustness and stability from such a machine.

Thanks for your help, jan-jaap.

Update: In the last 10+ years the only machines that broke were my O2 and now the Octane. My Sun Ultra 5 (similar age), for example, still runs and seems unbreakable no matter what I do with it (serial ports, graphics, CD burning and even the floppy still works). Oh well, ...
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 12:17 PM by TruHobbyist.)
TruHobbyist
Octane

Find Reply
03-11-2019, 12:10 PM
bah that sucks, sorry to hear it
gijoe77
Tezro

Threads: 33
Find Reply
03-12-2019, 02:55 AM
(03-12-2019, 02:55 AM)gijoe77 Wrote:  bah that sucks, sorry to hear it

np. The next one will be a Fuel, Tezro or Origin 300/350 (remote X) for development, and if I ever buy another O2/Octane it will only be for testing since they seem very delicate.
TruHobbyist
Octane

Find Reply
03-12-2019, 06:10 AM
To be honest, a lot of the later systems are fragile. The Fuel for example can be very finicky at times, and I've had issues in the past with mine that only went away when I completely dismantled and rebuilt the thing. Contrast that to earlier systems such as the tank-like Indigo2 that just keeps going and going...

Overall, I think most people would agree that the Octane on average is a more solid system than the Fuel. Having not owned a Tezro, I can't comment on those however.

Indigo2 IMPACT R10000 195MHz, 384MB RAM, MaxIMPACT (1MB), 36GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Fuel R14000 600MHz, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k & 300GB 10k drives, new/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
O2 in storage...
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 08:11 AM by Trippynet.)
Trippynet
Indigo2 IMPACT

Threads: 5
Find Reply
03-12-2019, 08:11 AM
Did you follow the troubleshooting section of the octane owners manual?

http://www.sgistuff.net/hardware/systems...octane.pdf

Page 262 onwards kind of thing.

There are a bunch of diagnostic lights under the front cover too - but I couldn't find where it explains what those mean - might be worth looking into as well.

Aha - found the explanation:

Code:
Meaning of the seven green LEDs that are behind the frontpanel.

Perhaps you have seen the seven small holes near the undocumented connector on the front of your Octane. These are link status lights and show which ports of the Crossbar have items connected to.

BaseIO X
 QA    X  X  PCI Expansion
 QD    X  X      QB
 QC    X  X    Heart
mrthinlysliced
Octane

Threads: 8
Find Reply
03-12-2019, 09:21 AM